Author Topic: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)  (Read 118797 times)

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
Re: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)
« Reply #450 on: February 08, 2012, 04:56:31 PM »
Whatever. Bourne gives me a movie boner so I'll pretty much whatever crap they pinch out. And I like Damon for some reason. And Statham and Keanu Reeves and Edward Norton and I have no cinematic taste.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #451 on: February 08, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »
Oh, yeah. I'll go watch it. Even if it's just a whisper of Legacy, it's an insane shoot-em-up with crazy eastern European terrorists and quadruple crosses that don't make sense but you don't think about how stupid they are because everyone's too busy leaping off of exploding suns.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #452 on: February 13, 2012, 12:22:09 PM »
There's something about this that depresses me mightily. I'm not sure what it is though. Nothing wrong with the concept or trailer. Just this weird feeling that whatever cultural era I felt tuned in to has truly passed, probably quite a while ago. And this trailer somehow proves it.

Not a valid youtube URL

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #453 on: February 13, 2012, 01:16:29 PM »
Yeah, the whole [historical/literary figure] + modern day trope = Live Action Comic is a giant thing.

And a sign of the end of the world.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #454 on: February 14, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
LOL...

Paramount is so high on the upcoming 3-D re-release of Titanic that the studio has scheduled special Valentine's Day screenings of the film for tonight, but don't expect to see Kate Winslet in the audience, rewatching her biggest hit. "I'm sure I wasn't really a very good actress," she tells USA Today. "Seriously, we are talking about something that happened 15 years ago. It is a very long time ago. I've learned so much, and I've changed as a person so much since then. It is really quite weird. Can you imagine anything stranger? It's going to be like, famous all over again, Titanic all over again!" She does admit that the studio screened seventeen minutes of the 3-D version for her, but, "I was literally like, 'Oh my God, make it stop! Is that me? Oh my God, that's me. Block my ears, somebody! Somebody club out my senses. Make it fucking stop!'" Then, Winslet added crucially, "And Leo looks so young and so skinny!"

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #455 on: February 21, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
So... Bad Teacher. It might just be Diaz's best movie. I hadn't heard a single thing about it and just stumbled into it...and loved it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #456 on: February 25, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »
Oh my god...the new Muppet movie is more meta than the most meta episode of Community. Which, 20 minutes in, makes it more like a train wreck than a movie...largely because everyone looks so uncomfortable. Especially during the comedic musical numbers...

Though I imagine the kids loved it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #457 on: February 25, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »
Also, I completely get why Frank Oz and all the vets condemned this movie. It's utterly soulless. It also basically copies the original Muppet Movie. Or maybe that's the meta thing? It's weird. I can't tell if it's a remake or if it's just a joke about an idea to make a remake.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
I'm 40 minutes into "The Grey," after hearing terrible things about it... It's really very awesome so far. Liam Neeson doing this weird, moody, poetic thing. A rocking plane crash... Fucking tense survival drama.

The big complaint I've heard is the handling of the wolves, but I think it's brilliant. They have an unseen sort of movie monster quality. Look at this sideways and it's like a chapter out of The Thing.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
I saw it in the theater. It's gripping, but...well, my friend compared it to "Call of the Wild" + "Saw".

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
I saw it in the theater. It's gripping, but...well, my friend compared it to "Call of the Wild" + "Saw".

Haha! Yeah.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
A few complaints though... First, it's glaringly obvious who's gonna be next. Second... You're in glacier water and you're able to stand there up to your neck and calmly mourn the death of someone?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Watching The Wave right now... Based on a YA novel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave_(novel)

A history teacher conducts a social experiment where he quietly converts his class into a fascist regime to prove how easy it is for people like the Nazis to gain and consolidate power.

The movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave_(2008_film)) makes it all the more chilling in that it's a German movie, and the experiment initially begins with that sort of collective memory of the Nazis and how awful it is and an even more adamant attitude that it can't happen again -- "we're past that."

So the teacher (here's it's a week long class about "autocracy") decides to prove them wrong and, in the course of the week, turns them all into fascists... Really quite well done. And on Netflix instant watch!

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Everybody is making a big hubub over Battleship which, yes, is based off the Parker Brothers game.

Has Liam Neeson become Sam Neill?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Well, Neill's got a hit TV show now. He's very busy creeping around being mysterious and evading questions each week.