Author Topic: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)  (Read 123663 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
I love his Matrix points, as well.  It just has to stay on the list, but it sure has been tainted.

Though I'd be willing to debate Supercop.  Police Story 2 has some amazing stunts.  More so than the more Hollywoodized Michelle Yeoh stunts.  And, of course, Police Story One (The Protector in the States) has the great shanty town car chase --

Though, because Supercop was getting the huge international retrofit, they were able to clean it up compared to the somewhat cookie-cutter storylines in the first two movies. 

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
Rumble in the Bronx > Supercop
8=o tation

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
Actually though... Supercop had Devo covering Nine Inch Nails' Head Like a Hole on the soundtrack, so that makes them even in my book.
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Rumble in the Bronx is more traditional Chan, so, yes, I agree.  Supercop is sort of like Jackie Chan 2.0.  Which is a shame.  I love his 80's stuff.  Project A, Armor of God... All amazing stuff.  Kung-Fu Buster Keaton.

It's a stunt gone wrong in the first Armor of God where he lost half his skull.  They put in a metal plate, got him a wig, and he was back to filming two weeks later!

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
Oh, god, I love the old Chan movies. Everything from the 70s through the 90s, before Hollywood softened him up. Just amazing. When I was a kid, I wear those rented VHS tapes through just rewinding the action sequences 20 times in a row.

Nacho - Was that the leap from the wall to the tree?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS

Nacho - Was that the leap from the wall to the tree?

Yep.  You get to see it all in the outtakes.

God...now I want to watch them all again.  The clocktower stunt (and comical bike chase before) in Project A came to mind last night.

Here in German!

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!

I love this ... I forgot they were listening to Ministry when he walks in and destroys the stereo!

Chan's broken English made the movie that much more fun.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:48:42 PM by Nubbins »
8=o tation

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
http://www.cloudywithachanceofmeatballs.com/

i really think we've turned the corner on kids' movies.  almost everything looks really cool, cute, and outside of the box nowadays, from Wall-E to Coraline to this. 
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
Loved the book growing up.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
http://www.cloudywithachanceofmeatballs.com/

i really think we've turned the corner on kids' movies.  almost everything looks really cool, cute, and outside of the box nowadays, from Wall-E to Coraline to this. 

Blah blah Dave Eggers blah blah, I know, but Where the Wild Things Are looks really compelling. Kid's movies are really something different these  days. I want to credit Pixar with the transformation because before they came around, Disney was putting out absolute garbage and getting away with it because… that's all there was.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
Yeah...I wonder how long that will last, now that Pixar's been bought out.  So far, so good.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
who did they get bought out by now?
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Yeah...last I heard Pixar had the Scrooge McDuck tower and was diving into money all on their own.  No buyout.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
I want to credit Pixar with the transformation because before they came around, Disney was putting out absolute garbage and getting away with it because… that's all there was.

Hey... Aladdin was fantastic!

But, yeah... I have yet to see a Pixar movie that didn't have me laughing my ass off. 
8=o tation

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
Ok, so I watched Battle Royale last night and it was fucking awesome.  The violence really kind of kicks you in the gut repeatedly for 2 hours.  It was a great movie.

I'm still a bit confused why Tarantino would pick this and leave Oldboy off his list.  I thought Oldboy was a better movie, but it has been a long time since I watched it.
8=o tation