Author Topic: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)  (Read 123616 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
As far as I can tell the USS Indianapolis movie is entirely based off of Quint's speech from Jaws rather than actual history.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Life!

So... It's basically Lifeforce...with a budget. And a little bit of Star Trek: TMP, by way of Dark Star.

Like Gravity, it's insanely beautiful. And, like Gravity, it relies on that fact...alone.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Man...The Lost City of Z is the sort of movie where the screenwriter never read the book...or even the wiki page.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
1.) I know nothing about the book this was based on.
2.) It's Spielberg, so I;m immediately intrigued.
3.) Some guy blasted Freddy Krueger at one point in this trailer.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
The book is bog standard hipster sci-fi. This is a snorebot situation for now!

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
I've needed no further proof that Edgar Wright is one of the best stylistic filmmakers working today. It's been obvious to me almost since Shaun of the Dead. (Definitely after Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.) But if you somehow still aren't convinced, I highly recommend seeing Baby Driver.

Conceptually, it's extremely ambitious. The movie is a "musical" of sorts with the footage being directed and edited to the rhythm of famous pop songs. Gun shots go off in time with the beat, as do tire squeals, people walking, chewing gum, and everything else. The entire movie is in rhythm, even when you don't think you're noticing it. It's a wild ride. To make the concept work, Wright has wrapped it around a simple heist story about a a kid who drives getaway cars for an Atlanta crime lord. A car accident as a kid left him with tinnitus so he constantly listens to music in headphones to drown out the ring. He meets a girl, is paying off his debt, and it's the old "one last heist" plot device at work. The emotions and story are simple and probably rightly so since the style around it is so complex.

RC says check it out.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:20:29 AM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Man, I am so rushed these days I didn't even know what this was. I heard the title and assumed it was a cartoon. Jesus...

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
It's really good. My favorite movie of the year so far.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)
« Reply #908 on: October 23, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »
Atomic Blonde seems built entirely around a nostalgia soundtrack. Like, getting the remember-when music people on board is more important than telling a coherent story. So it's really just selling tickets to people who loved the late 80s.

I know this isn't anything new, but it just seems so over the top...

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #909 on: October 25, 2017, 01:27:46 PM »
The trailer looked great, but you're the third person to tell me the move itself was disappointing.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #910 on: November 27, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
I've needed no further proof that Edgar Wright is one of the best stylistic filmmakers working today. It's been obvious to me almost since Shaun of the Dead. (Definitely after Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.) But if you somehow still aren't convinced, I highly recommend seeing Baby Driver.

Conceptually, it's extremely ambitious. The movie is a "musical" of sorts with the footage being directed and edited to the rhythm of famous pop songs. Gun shots go off in time with the beat, as do tire squeals, people walking, chewing gum, and everything else. The entire movie is in rhythm, even when you don't think you're noticing it. It's a wild ride. To make the concept work, Wright has wrapped it around a simple heist story about a a kid who drives getaway cars for an Atlanta crime lord. A car accident as a kid left him with tinnitus so he constantly listens to music in headphones to drown out the ring. He meets a girl, is paying off his debt, and it's the old "one last heist" plot device at work. The emotions and story are simple and probably rightly so since the style around it is so complex.

RC says check it out.

Holy shit...this movie was beautiful on so many levels I'm having trouble processing my reaction into a review.

A few "RUN YOU MORON!" moments and a couple roll-eyes at the updated True Romance angle were all eclipsed by absolutely fantastic film-making, engaging acting, and a (in hindsight) hilarious and cathartic use of Spacey.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #911 on: November 29, 2017, 11:09:45 AM »
It's my favorite movie from last year. Can't wait to watch it with the Missus.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #912 on: December 11, 2017, 11:43:45 AM »
Did I never gush about I, Tonya on GS? I saw it in Austin and it's insanely funny, and so, so good. Watched the trailer which made me want to see it all over again.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #913 on: December 11, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »
I am weirdly obsessed with the trailers and really looking forward to it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #914 on: January 05, 2018, 08:44:21 AM »
Did I never gush about I, Tonya on GS? I saw it in Austin and it's insanely funny, and so, so good. Watched the trailer which made me want to see it all over again.

Watched this! It was amazing on so many counts. The way it handled breaking the fourth wall, the way it simply told its story, the cast... Just a great movie.