Author Topic: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)  (Read 140520 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »
Haha!  The title of Scifi Wire's review of Whiteout:

See Kate Beckinsale naked! And, oh yeah, there's a movie ...

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2009, 07:59:59 AM »
Is she naked a lot, and what does she do whilst naked?
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2009, 09:43:15 AM »
Don't know.  I think there's just a shower scene.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2009, 01:03:04 PM »
I was hoping for a Chloe S' style bj scene.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #154 on: September 15, 2009, 10:52:09 AM »
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/no-us-distributor-charles-darwin-mov

It seems the film Creation, a major-production biopic about Charles Darwin starring Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly, won't be seen in the United States because no distributor with the guts to stand up to the religious right in this country can be found:

The film was chosen to open the Toronto Film Festival and has its British premiere on Sunday. It has been sold in almost every territory around the world, from Australia to Scandinavia.

However, US distributors have resolutely passed on a film which will prove hugely divisive in a country where, according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

Movieguide.org, an influential site which reviews films from a Christian perspective, described Darwin as the father of eugenics and denounced him as "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder". His "half-baked theory" directly influenced Adolf Hitler and led to "atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and genetic engineering", the site stated.

The film has sparked fierce debate on US Christian websites, with a typical comment dismissing evolution as "a silly theory with a serious lack of evidence to support it despite over a century of trying".

Jeremy Thomas, the Oscar-winning producer of Creation, said he was astonished that such attitudes exist 150 years after On The Origin of Species was published.

"That's what we're up against. In 2009. It's amazing," he said.

"The film has no distributor in America. It has got a deal everywhere else in the world but in the US, and it's because of what the film is about. People have been saying this is the best film they've seen all year, yet nobody in the US has picked it up.

"It is unbelievable to us that this is still a really hot potato in America. There's still a great belief that He made the world in six days. It's quite difficult for we in the UK to imagine religion in America. We live in a country which is no longer so religious. But in the US, outside of New York and LA, religion rules.

"Charles Darwin is, I suppose, the hero of the film. But we tried to make the film in a very even-handed way. Darwin wasn't saying 'kill all religion', he never said such a thing, but he is a totem for people."

No wonder conservatives believe liberals lack the courage of their convictions. We prove them right every other day.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #155 on: September 15, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »
Silly.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #156 on: September 15, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »
Scary.

according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #157 on: September 15, 2009, 09:15:12 PM »
Man, after all this insane bullshit with health care and the idiot Glen Beck fans and whatnot, I'm almost as pessimistic about the future of the country than I was in November of 2004.

I need to stop reading the news.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2009, 09:18:17 PM »
I was talking to a friend about this the other day.  He said, "Hey, people are passionate and getting involved!"  But I say that people are (still) horribly polarized and uninformed.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »
yes, but I'm sure that Capitalism, A Love story will be the Michael Moore film that FINALLY convinces everyone how wrong they are.
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2009, 11:13:27 AM »
Haha, yes, I'm sure!

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2009, 04:38:18 AM »
Holy shit the "new" Rambo fucking sucked.

I didn't know it was possible to make a movie that bad.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2009, 03:22:20 PM »
Just for us boys -- The Tournament!

I downloaded it on a lark, but it's actually quite awesome.  Basically just a ripoff of Series 7, except without the Big Brother aspect.  It's 90 minutes of mindless, stupid fun.  With a great cast.  Carlyle, Ving Rhames, and B-list action queen Kelly Hu. 

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Tournament/70118785

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471041/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tournament_%28film%29

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »
There's been quite an explosion about Paranormal Activity.  The festival cut from 2007 leaked and, apparently, is wildly different from the Paramount release -- which pussied up the ending and added ten minutes of padding, as well as including a terribly annoying "demon sound". 

The filmmakers, Paramount, and many horror blogs have been scolding the public for watching the festival cut and stealing the movie, even though it's been catapulted to the Land of Golden Eggs. 

But what I enjoy is how a few of the horror blogs are saying, uh, the festival cut is a better movie than Paramount's over-hyped trash.

So I'm downloading the festival cut. and will watch it at work tomorrow.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2009, 11:48:05 AM »
I watched JCVD last night and it was great.  

Jean-Claude Van Damme plays himself, a washed-up, 47 year-old actor who's losing a bitter custody battle with his ex, is flat broke and has a life that is falling apart all around him.  When he goes to the post office in a desperate attempt to get some cash to pay his attorney, he's inadvertently caught in the middle of a robbery.  The entire situation is made even worse when the police mistakenly believe Jean-Claude has gone crazy and is holding dozens of people hostage.

Ultimately, the movie is a pretty decent dark comedy.  I really enjoyed it; maybe more than I've ever enjoyed a Jean-Claude flick.  I think the movie itself is made better by the fact that Jean-Claude actually has some acting chops and seems to have a pretty good sense of humor about himself and the life he's led.  

Equal parts action, comedy and introspective drama, this is a movie definitely worth checking out.  I gave it a 4 out of 5.
8=o tation