Children of the Sun > Movies & Entertainment

Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)

<< < (207/207)

RottingCorpse:
I've just discovered the Netflix movies written by bots and they're hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzbxNoMjGM

RottingCorpse:
Whether you like Shakespeare on not, Joel Cohen's Tragedy of MacBeth is absolutely gorgeous. Visually, it's the Lighthouse meets 300. Stunning to look at. Performances are pretty good too. It's on Apple+ if you have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptqe7s6pO7g

Also, I'm now subscribed to enough streaming services that I might as well be paying for cable again... which I fucking predicted ten years ago.

nacho:

--- Quote from: RottingCorpse on January 16, 2022, 01:31:57 PM ---Whether you like Shakespeare on not, Joel Cohen's Tragedy of MacBeth is absolutely gorgeous. Visually, it's the Lighthouse meets 300. Stunning to look at. Performances are petty good too. It's on Apple+ if you have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptqe7s6pO7g

Also, I'm now subscribed to enough streaming services that I might as well be paying for cable again... which I fucking predicted ten years ago.

--- End quote ---

Will try it out!

We just cut the cord. We were paying Xfinity $350 a month. We went with Youtube TV and get all the same services, plus Netflix, Paramount Plus, HBO Max, Showtime, Hulu, Disney, Epix, and Peacock for $96 a month. It's amazeballs. Unlimited DVR, faster response times, less heartache and screaming at the TV...

RottingCorpse:
Don't know how much you've been keeping up with Robert Eggers (The VVItch, The Lighthouse), but I think he's one of the most fascinating directors working. Came from an Art Direction background and his movies are just gorgeous. Not for everybody, as he's way into dream logic and myth. The stories just aren't laid out for you. Lynchian in that it take a little bit of work on your part to piece together what it is you're seeing

I finally caught The Northman last week, and it's well worth a watch. Because of the (increased) budget, Eggers had to make his story more linear and you feel his instincts struggling with that. His dream logic scenes have more plot hole significance, and yet his costume and scenic design is so meticulous, the big budget realism seems at odds with his more esoteric impulses. It's a medieval revenge story that feels like a fever dream. If the main character's name "Amleth" does't give away where all the story points come from, you'll quickly realize Eggers wrapped his story in a more familiar one so he could get away with a wee bit more trippiness.

I loved it, but what he does fires all my synapses. Worth a look if you get a chance.

nacho:

--- Quote from: RottingCorpse on May 16, 2022, 08:59:20 AM ---Don't know how much you've been keeping up with Robert Eggers (The VVItch, The Lighthouse), but I think he's one of the most fascinating directors working. Came from an Art Direction background and his movies are just gorgeous. Not for everybody, as he's way into dream logic and myth. The stories just aren't laid out for you. Lynchian in that it take a little bit of wrk on your art to piece together what it is your seeing

I finally caught The Northman last week, and it's well worth a watch. Because of the (increased) budget, Eggers had to make his story more linear and you feel his instincts struggling with that. Hi dream logic scenes have more plot hole significance, and yet his costumes and scenic design is so meticulous, the big budget realism seems at odds with his more esoteric impulses. It's a medieval revenge story that feels like a fever dream. If the main characters name "Amleth" does't give away where all the story points come from, you'll quickly realize Eggers wrapped his story in a more familiar one so he could get away with a wee bit more trippiness.

I loved it, but what he does fires all my synapses. Worth a look if you get a chance.

--- End quote ---

The Northman is on my list for sure. I hated The Lighthouse mainly because the actual historical story is even more crazy. The Witch was fun, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version