Author Topic: Blagojevich  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
Blagojevich
« on: December 10, 2008, 03:09:37 AM »
so, the wikipedia article on this guy is about three feet long.  how do we not hear about a guy like this until he's on the rack by the feds for being so brazen (trying to sell Obama's senate seat in illinois) that he oversteps even a corrupt politician's bounds?  reading the wiki made me feel a whole lot better about living in a state that elected a congressman (william Jefferson) 9 times in a row while he was apparently spending the whole time making deals with kenyans for IT bills. 

i don't need to drag this guy through the coals again, because he's been all over today's news.  the real issue we need to address is: supposedly we live in this great futuristic society where all of the world's events can be had just by clicking on a single button in your firefox browser that draws up all your favorite sites.  all the news of the world is stored on servers minute by minute.  but this guy has been around since 1992 and this is the first i've ever heard of him, despite the apparently audacious stuff he's done in the past that has led to his grand auction of a US Senate seat? 

i'm not trying to point out a breakdown in 24/7 news vs. Real Secrecy or something like that.  I'm trying to point out the inadequacies of even pro-information web groups that can't bring the right links together.  i've long since abandoned Huffington Post as the 21st century "Inside Edition," but i still read it every other day to catch up on stuff that CNN.com doesn't seem brave enough to post because they know "Boy Spends Night in Sub-Zero Tempature, Saved by Puppies" will draw more adclicks.  with all the throbbing, steaming power of the internet, which, really, requires no more than a trio of smart guys in a room running formulas and catch-as-catch can filters to bring full content to a worthwhile site...how is it excusable that regional news gets lost and corruption on a large scale gets ignored except by the tiny district that the print newspaper covers?

a couple of answers, but i don't have faith in them:

1) I'm looking at the wrong sites.  okay, maybe there is a nationwide clearinghouse for corruption or any other major regional news story that falls under the major networks' radar of "tornado/infant rape/molestation ranch."  but if that's so, they're doing something wrong because i've never heard of them.  i came in on the original class of BBS nerds who wanted more info than they could ever possibly digest, and top-rated, trustworthy sites are about the only ones i visit.  so if some site that does what i'm talking about exists, it's doing a horrible fucking job of marketing itself.  which probably is the case, because all these altruist dicklicks love to make ignorable websites.

2) no one really cares about other regions except when there's a bloodbath.  ok, that makes sense, but when have you NOT wanted to feel better about your own state or city by comparing them to another fucked up state or city?  Yes, New Orleans has a shitty mayor who hides all day, eats at the best restaurants on the back of our 9% sales tax, and hasn't pushed through a single, viable plan for recovery and our governor is a complete hand-shaking machine who vetoed parts of his own ethics reform legislation once it passed the state congress, and who is now working full-time at fundraising for his own presidential campaign in 2012, but jesus fuck!  all you retarded westerners are voting in closet gay republicans, ex-Hollywood actors, blind adulterers, and second generation serbian whores.  this is the reason we watch reality tv: to see the dumb chick from indiana get drunk and fall face-first into relationship calamity with the jock from boston.  there's nothing more american in the 20th and 21st century than player-hating on other regions.  so why can't this stuff even cause a blip on the radar?

3) The true immensity of actual politics scares the lonely american.  ok, actually, this one's true.  sorry.  when you realize the power that a few people have to hand out vast sums of money and then hope against hope that they either a) do it fairly b) don't waste it with shiny bullshit or c) won't try to find money where there isn't any (state employees' pensions, fake credit ratings for bonds, "cuts" to budgets of non-existent, years old "improvement plans" or, god forbid, d) cuts to divisions that have no mechanism for defense like state parks, museums, and auxilliary education funds) outweighs any amount of yelling you do, even if Katie "Christ-Fucking" Couric pays attention...well, then, you get a little jaded.  so then it turns into a sport and you make fun of all-stars you would love to have on your hometown team, even if it was just for the sparkle. 

goddammit.  i hate governors who make me rant.  i know tomorrow i'm going to wake up and not be affected at all by the situation in Illinois, but, really, what's the point of the internet if at least a few people on the outside can't be aroused by a big flashing "WARNING" sign? 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:12:47 AM by Cassander »
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
Re: Blagojevich
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »
I think it's #2.  Was talking about this with my brother-in-law last night.  He said he has friends from Chicago and they were all, oh yeah, this guy is bad news, everyone knows it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 11:59:59 AM »
It's part of the internet saturation syndrome -- these days, it needs to be a bloodbath to get our attention.  So lives the functional illiterate Zoloft-addled wage slave who has spent the last seven years under Orange Alert.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:52:43 PM »
i'm not trying to point out a breakdown in 24/7 news vs. Real Secrecy or something like that.  I'm trying to point out the inadequacies of even pro-information web groups that can't bring the right links together.  i've long since abandoned Huffington Post as the 21st century "Inside Edition," but i still read it every other day to catch up on stuff that CNN.com doesn't seem brave enough to post because they know "Boy Spends Night in Sub-Zero Tempature, Saved by Puppies" will draw more adclicks.  with all the throbbing, steaming power of the internet, which, really, requires no more than a trio of smart guys in a room running formulas and catch-as-catch can filters to bring full content to a worthwhile site...how is it excusable that regional news gets lost and corruption on a large scale gets ignored except by the tiny district that the print newspaper covers?

This is especially frustrating when you consider that Wikipedia runs an online encyclopedia that covers absolutely every topic in existence, yet they are still able to catch and filter out the instances where some idiot edits the Anna Nicole Smith wiki with "She had huge tits."

I think we need to make the decisions of our politicians more public thereby giving them more accountability for their actions.  Why can't one of the stipulations of being in government be that the public gets to analyze and dissect your every move?  Why can't we tap all the governor's phones and read all the governor's emails?  He works for us!  At least if that was the case... if every action, choice and thought process of our elected officials was there for us to see... we'd be able to crack down on this kind of shit a little bit.
8=o tation

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 01:04:36 PM »
It's also Chicago politics which have been accepted as corrput and seedy since Reconstruction.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 01:02:24 AM »
that's part of my point.  every state government is probably sickly from decades of nepotism if not outright corruption.  but you never hear about that unless you live in the major city and the major paper gets to take little swipes at the machine.
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:44:39 AM »
Well, to be fair he was selling a U.S. Senate seat instead of the dog catcher position.