Author Topic: Personal Cancellation  (Read 20562 times)

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
Re: Personal Cancellation
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »
I'm giving up on Castle, as well.  It feels like it was written by a seven year old.

Bah! I still like Castle.  It's just Nathan Fillion being himself.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2010, 04:20:49 PM »
And I love the daughter's school uniform!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
Okay, episode five of Dexter... And unless it really wows me in the next 40 minutes, I'm giving up till the finale.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2010, 08:30:06 PM »
Yep... Hate to say it, but I'm done with Dexter.

I'll tune in for the finale, but it's telling that I'm only doing so in the desperate hope that 90% of the cast are murdered.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »
And...Psych.  It's been tedious to watch for the last 12 episodes... But I gave up on the latest halfway through.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2010, 10:59:38 AM »
So Mondays episode was the same stuff, but it did have one good funny moment.

Beckett and Castle are in the basement of a Chinese Food store and come across two cooks.

Beckett: "I'm looking for this man, have you seen him?"  Holds up a photo

Chinese guys give blank stare

Castle speaks something in Chinese about how his partner is crazy and will start shooting if they don't answer.

Beckett looks at him in surprise-- "Semester abroad?"
Castle: "No, TV show I used to love."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
We all hang on to Castle mainly for the annual reference to Firefly, eh?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
Okay, once this season is done, I am putting the following series on the personal cancellation list:

The Office: It's been terrible for years now. The only thing that kept me through this whole season was Carell's departure which, when it came, was a lame episode. I'll finish out the May sweeps to see Gervais and Daniel Jackson and all the other guest stars, but that's it.

House: Another show that's been terrible for years. Really since the third season, in all honesty. It's back for season fucking eight next year but, ugh, forget it. Why am I still watching anyway? I'll try and stick through the May sweeps just for a sense of completion.

Parks and Recreation: The cast is now way overcrowded with Adam Scott and Rob Lowe stealing every single scene. Amy Poehler feels like she's just a supporting character, and we've just about lost all the other characters. It's also a tired gag. There's no more mission (filling the hole/building a park), and it's now just a web of asexual sitcom romancing and mugging for the camera. Shame... Like House, I'm not so sure I'll continue next week, let alone try and tough out the last few episodes.

You know, more and more, I'm gravitating towards the short shows -- HBO, Brit shows, etc. The 20+ episode seasons are just exhausting these days.  Even 30 Rock is tired and boring by the time we get to the final episodes. Starting a season and looking down the barrel of nine months of dreary repetition is soul-crushing. Whereas starting a series and knowing it'll be done in two months is great. And, oddly, that series will convey more than a full season. Treme is over in July, Game of Thrones before then, Doctor Who in June, Sherlock will come and go between June and September... And we'll get more story, more adventure, more action, and more enjoyment out of all of those.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2011, 02:34:19 PM »
Updating the above! Since Cass just posted his rant in the Office thread...

I may give the next season a go, for the sake of sick curiosity.  But Parks & Rec is done, as is House.

In light of the Mentalist finale, I'm somewhat worried about next season as well. Unless there's some really cool resolution in the premiere, I'll probably throw in the towel there.

So, yes... Except for 30 Rock and Modern Family, I'm pretty much done with regular network TV, I guess. That's kind of interesting now that I think about it. The only shows I'm watching are cable shows or Brit shows.

And 30 Rock is in danger of getting old next season, in my opinion, while Modern Family faces the old family sitcom problem of the kids leaving. Though, cleverly, they haven't really put too much weight on the kids, have they? Well we miss Haley? Probably not. In fact, they've made her out as the sort of, well, modern family kid who'll live at home and be miserable at community college. And they've completely washed their hands of cute toddler syndrome. Lily's only job will be to be part of the surrounding set, even when she's old enough to be sickly-cute.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2011, 02:54:02 PM »
Yeah, 30 Rock is way off the deep end, too, but still comes up with something genius once per episode, like the three versions of Jack.  We're still really enjoying Parks and Rec, but I know what you mean about not having a bigger goal.  Maybe they'll rectify that next season. 

Anyway, you should give Raising Hope a chance.  Or maybe we should marathon it when you're here. 
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2011, 03:04:12 PM »
Yes! Raising Hope marathon! I want to make the show work for me because, here's the thing, I have a really weird (and probably unhealthy) crush on Martha Plimpton.

This crush goes back as far as The Goonies. So seeing has as a hillbilly grandma 16 years later is weirdly...

Well... Anyway! Let's just say I promise not to touch myself while sitting between you and L with Graham laying on my feet and Ziggy licking my ear.

That's something I would only do if we were watching a show with Lena Headey in it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »
Well, True Blood goes on the list after this season. I'll ride this season out because we're halfway through... But, ugh...

Also moving Torchwood to this list. Talk about crash and fucking burn. Again...halfway through, so I'll tough it out.

So, let's see... What remains? Doctor Who, of course. Which, really, I'm watching out of 80% nostalgia and 20% fandom duty. It's not actually any good, and declines awfully with each season.

Breaking Bad, which I'm a little wary about this season. But not in a way that really worries me.

Game of Thrones, which is still a year away.

I'll give Walking Dead a second attempt just because of the behind the scenes explosion. Maybe season 2 will turn around.

Mentalist remains, though (as noted above) this season coming up is going to be tough to navigate.

Modern Family, The League, and Community. Though MF and Community are entering shaky ground this season. The one has the aging baby cast change, the other is starting to get tired of itself. 

I'll be adding Terra Nova, but I'm sure that'll be a mess.

So I'm 50/50 on my TV viewing. Four of the remaining eight shows are normal network shows, and the other four are cable jobbies that only have a handful of episodes and run years apart. I'm always interested in trends like that... I figured I'd pitch entirely into cable-land by now. Though my money is on this being my last season of Mentalist, Modern Family, and Community. And is The League even coming back?

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2011, 09:47:59 PM »
I like how now there are things on your "potential to cross off" list that you just marathoned.  "Y'know, if push comes to shove I might not waste an entire Sunday watching the entire season of Community and trying to remember whether I took a shower yesterday or not.  It's at that stage in its lifespan, y'know?"

You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2011, 07:15:21 AM »
Community is great, but as you and I discussed in another thread, it started to get tired at the very end of season two.

Which, by the way, you knew before I did and could have warned me.

Anyway, I get paid to watch these marathons, remember. I don't do them on weekends.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2011, 04:38:37 PM »
Okay! Fall 2011 update!

I've stuck to my guns on all of last season's cancellations, though I ask people what's happening on House and sort of vicariously follow that show.

I gave Dexter a second (third? Fourth?) chance and am very happy so far. Though it's mildly defeating to realize that even the showrunners have pretty much invalidated the last three seasons. I try not to think about that.

This season, I'm adding (as predicted) Terra Nova. I made it through six episodes... But...god. I'm also adding Idiot Abroad. Talk about flogging a dead horse.