Author Topic: Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones)  (Read 43700 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones)
« Reply #270 on: May 08, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »
Everyone who keeps telling me I should watch GOT are also the ones complaining about the "too dark" episode and the Starbucks cup.

The Starbucks cup debacle actually bumped a major hit for one of my books on Monday at Buzzfeed! It comes out today now. We had the whole marketing machine geared up and ready to go, too. Very annoying.

GOT is wonderful. But the problem with this season is that it's a clumsy rush job to the finale that is going against every character's motivations. Every episode is barely coherent as they race wildly to tie up a decade's worth of loose ends. They've also made the fatal mistake of paying fan service. It's almost meta now -- with jokes being made about twitter memes, an characters being forced into slots so that they can have artificial showdowns that the fans have dreamed of but don't make sense to the overall narrative.

Two problems here: First, they ran out of the source material long ago and have been on their own. The center held for a season or two, but then it all came crashing down. Secondly, I suspect HBO pulled a Rome on them -- too expensive. Wrap it up now. You have six months to figure out how.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #271 on: May 16, 2019, 10:40:16 PM »
I agree that they are rushing to complete storylines and it shows. 

But I don't think HBO is too concerned about the money.  Just some quick math.  Each episode has roughly 35 million viewers, that's an average I'm getting from the 38 million that saw the first episode.  Each viewer/household has to drop about $30 for the two months the episodes air in.  That's 1.5 billion.  Each episode cost 15 million, add in re-shoots extra VFX, taking out coffee cups etc.  Call it 120 million for overall production.  That's still a profit of over a billion.  Even if my numbers are exaggerated and doubled, their profits are still well into the several hundred million.  And if they made more seasons they would generate more profit.  Nobody except the HBO bigwigs know how much they are really profiting, but I find the exercise interesting.

“The Bells,” which aired this past Sunday, was watched by a record 18.4 million viewers across HBO’s platforms (linear, HBO GO and HBO NOW), exceeding the previous series high of 17.8 million viewers two weeks ago for the episode “The Long Night,” focusing on the Battle of Winterfell. In addition to the series high for the night, the 9:00 p.m. airing reached a time-period high for GAME OF THRONES, with an average of 12.5 million viewers, surpassing the season seven finale of 12.1 million viewers. Season eight of GAME OF THRONES is averaging 43 million viewers per episode in gross audience, an increase of more than ten million viewers when compared to season seven.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #272 on: May 17, 2019, 10:05:35 AM »
Both Rome and Deadwood had record viewership as well (though pale compared to GoT, of course) and HBO rushed them to get them off the docket and make room for dumb single-camera stuff, which costs nothing but earns the same (e.g., John Oliver). Meanwhile, HBO sells all the sets and makes a fortune. Rome was shut down in 2007 and HBO still rents the sets out for top dollar. Every Roman-era TV and movie you've seen since 2007 has been on the Rome set, with a giant royalty check going to the HBO execs (and no one else).

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #273 on: May 20, 2019, 11:53:01 AM »
So that was the worst season of TV I've ever had to sit through...but also one of the best finales! Strange!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #274 on: May 20, 2019, 12:09:45 PM »
Paranoia watch: AV Club has noted how everything in the finale addressed everything the fans have been complaining about -- right down to Jon petting Ghost. Since, of course, this finale was filmed long ago before those complaints, isn't it odd that they addressed all the complaints so perfectly?

AV Club suggests: is the divisive fandom actually HBO trolling us?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #275 on: May 20, 2019, 12:46:58 PM »
What is “real” anymore, eh?

I’ve seen a few “end of the monoculture” posts in relation to GOT. There’s this whole discussion about how it’s likely the last all encompassing TV show we’ll get where the whole culture tunes in.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #276 on: June 18, 2019, 10:03:31 AM »
GoT season 8 is preferable only to having a pack of dogs pull you down and begin to rape you and as half the pack ejaculate their rabies-ridden tummy worms into your gnawed rectum, the other half rip out your throat to finish in your gullet.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #277 on: June 18, 2019, 12:27:55 PM »
GoT season 8 is preferable only to having a pack of dogs pull you down and begin to rape you and as half the pack ejaculate their rabies-ridden tummy worms into your gnawed rectum, the other half rip out your throat to finish in your gullet.

You're being kind.