Author Topic: Suffering Through TNG: It's time for your oral exam, Wesley!  (Read 85260 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Re: Suffering Through TNG: It's time for your oral exam, Wesley!
« Reply #345 on: January 15, 2009, 10:41:24 AM »
What are you going to do with yourself when this is over?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #346 on: January 15, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »
Marathon Starlost:
http://www.greatsociety.org/forums/index.php/topic,3462.0.html
http://www.greatsociety.org/forums/index.php/topic,3692.msg98014.html#msg98014

Marathon Spy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy_(TV_series)

And catch up on the dozens of movies I've been downloading.  Plus, BSG starts up tomorrow.  So back to regular programming.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #347 on: January 15, 2009, 11:31:14 AM »
Emergence.

Oh man... Ready for this plotline?  The Enterprise becomes sentient...and it's pregnant!

Well...it's trying to produce offspring, and the crew does what it can to help this new lifeform. 

Once the lifeform is born, the Enterprise goes back to normal.  Tra-la-la. 

Dear god...

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #348 on: January 15, 2009, 12:02:10 PM »
Emergence.

Oh man... Ready for this plotline?  The Enterprise becomes sentient...and it's pregnant!

Well...it's trying to produce offspring, and the crew does what it can to help this new lifeform. 

Once the lifeform is born, the Enterprise goes back to normal.  Tra-la-la. 

Dear god...

And then Farscape was the spin off right? :puke:

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #349 on: January 15, 2009, 12:15:55 PM »
Haha... God.  If only.  The lifeform is ridiculous, and most of the story plays out on the crazed holodeck.  The Enterprise speaks through the conductor of the Orient Express, and we keep going from what's really happening in the cargo bay with Picard to the rest of the cast trapped on the out of control holodeck.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #350 on: January 15, 2009, 12:17:27 PM »
Oh God!  Yea, I remember that one.  How bad is it then when you are describing these I can remember the episodes in vivid detail.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #351 on: January 15, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
It means you're worse than I am, because I don't remember these episodes.  Just the biggies -- the Q episodes, and the real Borg episodes.  You and Cass are eating Troi cake on the holodeck!

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #352 on: January 15, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »
So wait, what is the life form?  A mini Enterprise?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #353 on: January 15, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »
So wait, what is the life form?  A mini Enterprise?

The standard energy space beast.  They run across something like this once a season.  (It's taken over the Enterprise and is driving it towards an uncharted nebula which is home, so the Enterprise isn't really alive.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:26:54 PM by nacho »

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #354 on: January 15, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »
Dumb!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #355 on: January 15, 2009, 04:28:08 PM »
Usually this sort of energy beast is attached to the Enterprise and feeding off of it, or it makes Troi pregnant, or it gets in someone's mind and makes them go through a dream episode.  They just wanted to film shit on an old train set, I think.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #356 on: January 15, 2009, 04:30:10 PM »
"Hey, we've found this great train set on the Paramount backlot. Let's build a TNG episode around it."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #357 on: January 15, 2009, 04:34:31 PM »
Yeah, pretty much.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #358 on: January 15, 2009, 06:09:09 PM »
Preemptive Strike.

So the last normal episode is a Michelle Forbes episode.  She's sent to mess around with the Maquis.  Infiltrate and disable their operation.  Or something.

This ends the Ro story arc.  She betrays Picard (and we get a tense epilogue between Riker and Picard about it) and joins the Maquis...and is never heard from again.

Really, though, everything about this season is setting up Voyager.  The Maquis shit, especially.  But there are also more about the American Indian colonists here, and colonies with mixbreed Klingons and a Vulcan colony (which explains the other Maquis Voyager members).

A shame, really.  We're wrapping up a big moment in sci-fi history with over-reaching scripts trying to drive viewers to DS9 and set up the other spin-off.  Kind of a sad and pathetic way to end.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #359 on: January 15, 2009, 08:36:52 PM »
All Good Things....

It's the end!

So, I remember well all the hype building up to TNG.  Largely because Star Trek II was one of my favorite movies and the promo for TNG stole all the special effects.  Look at this gay shit:

It was huge.  The rebirth of sci-fi.  TNG may be impossible to watch now, but that's only because it opened the door for bigger, better sci-fi.  Stargate, BSG, Firefly, Farscape, Red Dwarf...

In All Good Things..., Picard finds himself living his past and his future.  The past is at Farpoint Station, where the series began, and Q first put all of humanity on trial.  The dystopian future finds Picard responsible for the destruction of humanity, and gives us plenty of future ship wankery.

The trial is still on.  The last seven years may well have been in a Q reality, at least partially.  Some of the people producing wanted that to be the case, and had ambitious plans to make several of the more surreal episodes Q-related.  But all of that first season stuff was lost.  Shame, really.  If the show were being made today, we'd see a far darker story.  The Borg were insects that took over human bodies and gave them super strength, Q was meant to have a larger, more controlling presence, the Federation would have cracked and bled... We see some of these elements survive, but it's all whitewashed. 

Denise Crosby and Colm Meaney return so that the past timeline can be lovingly recreated (the old season one uniforms are back, everyone acts like they did in that clunky first season, and even the sets reflect season one's style).   Revisiting the trial chamber from the pilot episode is a thrill.  The old cast back together, and done up to look like they did at the start. 

The last two seasons have been lackluster but, here, they pull out all the stops.  The script is surprisingly brilliant and unusually complicated, the effects are fun, and scene-stealer Q is back to his more menacing old ways. 

And when it comes to influencing modern sci-fi, what better example than this script?  Written by the Lost scriptwriter, the same elements were recycled in the most recent season of Lost, which is basically one, long reinterpretation of this episode.  Most notably with the constants, and the time travel.

The conclusion -- In the end, there is no judgment.  Picard's trial is over, but Q tells him that Humanity's trial continues. And so we move to the silver screen.

The episode walked away with a Hugo, and was nominated for almost half a dozen Emmy awards.

My god... Hard to believe I actually completed this marathon.  It's been weird and painful.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:03:22 PM by nacho »