Author Topic: Suffering Through TNG: It's time for your oral exam, Wesley!  (Read 80929 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Suffering Through TNG
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »
Unification.  Part one.

The big Spock episode.  He goes to Romulas on a secret mission, Starfleet thinks he's defected, Picard and crew are sent on a covert mission to find him.  Turns out he's trying to organize a peace and blah blah blah.  Kind of a waste of an episode considering the big, big Trek guest star.

Also, Sarek dies.  Which is the first true death -- no resurrections later on --  of a Star Trek character. 

The episode is dedicated to Roddenberry.  Nice that it wasn't the Wesley episode that carried the dedication...

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2008, 02:53:50 PM »
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »
That's actually all I see now.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2008, 03:03:06 PM »
hahahaha I don't know why that picture makes me laugh every goddamn time I see it.... but it does.
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »
Data's one human moment.  It should tug at your heartstrings!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #200 on: December 30, 2008, 03:15:22 PM »
Unification. Part 2.

Spock's last appearance in Star Trek until the 2009 movie.  Shame it's a snorefest.

Also, this is Denise Crosby's last appearance as Sela, the Romulan baddie who is never really explained and never mentioned again.  (Though she was retconned in Nemesis.)  Crosby returns once more (again as Tasha Yar) in the past sequence of the finale, but, otherwise, she's done. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #201 on: December 30, 2008, 05:28:35 PM »
A Matter of Time.

Okay, ready?  In an episode written for Robin Williams (who backed out at the last minute), a quirky time traveler from the 22nd century (who has stolen a timeship from the 26th century) comes to the 24th century (still with me?) to "observe."  But really he's stealing shit to take back to the 22nd Century. 

This fucking piece of shit episode WON A FUCKING EMMY!  Feel free to use this as an example as how the Emmys mean nothing.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #202 on: December 30, 2008, 10:41:26 PM »
New Ground.

Worf's son returns, and gets a lengthy background passive sort of story arc for the remainder of the season.  In this episode he wanders where he shouldn't and gets caught in a fire.  But don't worry!  Everything's okay!  Too bad for me!

Meantime, the Enterprise is testing a new form of travel that may make warp power obsolete.  But of course it all goes wrong.

Amusing to have Geordi compare the experiment to having the chance to see Cochrane engage the first warp drive since, of course, Geordi was there in First Contact.  Of course, that's in the future.  Except it would have been recorded in the past, so... Oh!  Grandmother Paradox!

This show is killing me, you know.  I didn't want to admit it before but, really, it's killing me.  I feel it deep down in my soul.  A torturous withering of everything that's good...

I can't wait to get to Voyager!  If only to watch  Kate Mulgrew talk in a voice that doesn't register as human.

Janeway:  *squeak squeak*

Majel Barrett Computer:  Please restate command.  Jesus!  Who put a gnome in charge?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #203 on: December 31, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »
Hero Worship.

Data rescues a child from a shipwreck, and the kid starts to emulate him. 

Yeah.  Look, seriously, someone please call an ambulance.  I would but my wrists are cut.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #204 on: December 31, 2008, 11:50:19 AM »
Hero Worship.

Data rescues a child from a shipwreck, and the kid starts to emulate him. 

Yeah.  Look, seriously, someone please call an ambulance.  I would but my wrists are cut.

Jesus fuck... What the fuck am I watching?  Ugh.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #205 on: December 31, 2008, 12:35:41 PM »
Violations.

Here we go...you want bad news?  This is it.  A script that's been fucking recycled from cut scenes in the horrible (I couldn't even finish it) Night Terrors episode.

This episode deals with "telepathic rape" as alien scientists probe the crew of the Enterprise.

Wow.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2008, 01:27:19 PM »
Amusing to have Geordi compare the experiment to having the chance to see Cochrane engage the first warp drive since, of course, Geordi was there in First Contact.  Of course, that's in the future.  Except it would have been recorded in the past, so... Oh!  Grandmother Paradox!

According to some really long article that someone posted...it happened in an alternate universe, so it hasn't happened yet, and never will in this universe.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2008, 01:29:35 PM »
Violations.

Here we go...you want bad news?  This is it.  A script that's been fucking recycled from cut scenes in the horrible (I couldn't even finish it) Night Terrors episode.

This episode deals with "telepathic rape" as alien scientists probe the crew of the Enterprise.

Wow.

I love how Crusher passes out in sick bay and Data calls for an emergency medical team.  What?  There are no medical people in sick bay?  That's one of those moments where I really want the camera to swing to the left and have all the sick bay people there eating doughnuts and laughing and ignoring everyone.

"Hey, we just thought she was sprawled out sleeping after having a violent hallucination like the other two coma patients over there...or...well, they were over there.  I think we lost the bodies.  We'd better check the cafeteria."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2008, 01:34:41 PM »

According to some really long article that someone posted...it happened in an alternate universe, so it hasn't happened yet, and never will in this universe.

They're wrong!  Because Seven of Nine mentions it in Voyager, and it's talked about in the later movies, and Enterprise addressed it.  Though the alternate reality thing probably comes from TOS, which had a Zefram Cochrane episode that didn't jive with the TNG-era Cochrane at all.  They even had him born on another planet.

Actually, First Contact kind of screws up the idea that all seven seasons of the TV show are actually set in an alternate reality.

Should I not know all that?

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2008, 02:07:38 PM »
Perhaps the alternate universe idea only applies to the upcoming (non)re-boot.  I don't know the entire canon well enough to argue.  I just know that Data singing was a bad idea.