Author Topic: Suffering Through TNG: It's time for your oral exam, Wesley!  (Read 108050 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Suffering Through TNG
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2008, 11:09:42 AM »
The finale does further the original insect-Borg storyline, though.  But we're not supposed to put that together until the second season... Which, with the writer's strike version of the Borg, means that this light-weight three episode arc in the first season makes no sense.

Also, I've been forced to drink gin straight to get through this one.

"I DEMAND TO CALL MY LAWYER, CAPTAIN PICARD!!!"

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »
what was the message of that episode?  that wall street guys are twerps?

It's the typical stranger in a strange land sort of stuff.  You get the weepy girl who wants to know about the last ten generations of her family, the drug-addicted Tennessee musician, and the angry stockbroker.  They all must learn about their humanity 400 years into their future while the Federation confronts the Romulans for the first time since the original series and unravels a mystery in the neutral zone.  End with laughter and beauty, everything's fine, take lots of xanax, and prepare for the writer's strike season.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »
Begin season two!

So the writer's strike sees many changes.  Gates McFadden (Dr Crusher) was fired and replaced with the unpopular Dr. Pulaski.  McFadden had been arguing with the producers about her character from the start (these arguments were never resolved, and she was constantly threatening to quit right up to the last TNG movie).  A fan letter-writing campaign convinced Rick Berman to hire her back for the third season (and Patrick Stewart played a part as well -- also threatening to quit unless they brought her back and expanded her character). 

Fucking Guinan is introduced -- Whoopi Goldberg -- as the mysterious immortal and friend of Picard. 

The vague nobody-of-the-week chief engineer is solved as Geordie finally gets his promotion.  Budget cuts abound, and the first episode is The Child, which is a script from Star Trek Phase II.  Troi has a mystery alien baby that rapidly grows up and blah blah blah...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 10:27:24 PM »
Where Silence Has Lease.

The Enterprise is trapped in a "hole in space" where a superior creature puts them all to the test and show me more of this Earth thing called kissing and father-son relationships and easy escapes and everything ends with a laugh.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2008, 11:07:11 PM »
Where Silence Has Lease.

The Enterprise is trapped in a "hole in space" where a superior creature puts them all to the test and show me more of this Earth thing called kissing and father-son relationships and easy escapes and everything ends with a laugh.

Haha!  It's this episode that one of my favorite gifs comes from:

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
Elementary, Dear Data.

The Holodeck goes insane.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2008, 08:39:08 PM »
One good thing about season two is that Dr. Pulaski is one of the only characters in TNG to call Data what he is -- an android.  An emotionless computer.  The whole father-son, group of friends thing was tiring halfway through season one.  So it's real nice to have someone pretty much write him off as a glorified tin can.  She's, briefly, the only voice of reason on this show.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2008, 08:46:15 PM »
Also, FYI to the Starfleet engineers:  If the computer is capable of creating self-aware, fully sentient holodeck personalities, that means the computer is also self-aware...and you should probably look into why the computer then chooses to make those self-aware creations psychotic.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »
The Outrageous Okona.

Joe Piscopo gueststars as a motherfucking holodeck program designed to teach Data humor while TNG's version of Harcourt Mudd from TOS causes trouble for the rest of the crew.

I might have to watch this one on fast forward.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2008, 12:58:38 AM »
god i hated joe piscopo.
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2008, 07:08:25 AM »
I did have to skip his scenes.  I think even the Star Trek people hated him because Data even told the Holodeck to fast forward through his longest scene. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2008, 08:35:16 PM »
The Schizoid Man.

A brilliant, but dying, scientist uploads his personality into Data.  Because Starfleet's greatest asset is always put in the line of fire.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2008, 11:34:52 PM »
Loud as a Whisper.

The Enterprise must pick up a special mediator...who is empathic...and deaf.  They have to pick him up to bring him to some troubled peace negotiations and...oh, look!  I just saw something shiny in the corner of my living room and I'm going to go stare at it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2008, 12:05:42 AM »
Loud as a Whisper.

The Enterprise must pick up a special mediator...who is empathic...and deaf.  They have to pick him up to bring him to some troubled peace negotiations and...oh, look!  I just saw something shiny in the corner of my living room and I'm going to go stare at it.

Troi can hear thoughts and carry on conversations telepathically....except with this deaf guy who shares her powers.  So, you know, except for when she's actually needed.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2008, 12:58:16 AM »
we all know troi is just tits and a 90's hairdo.
You ain't a has been if you never was.