Author Topic: Suffering Through TNG: It's time for your oral exam, Wesley!  (Read 74840 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Suffering Through TNG: It's time for your oral exam, Wesley!
« Reply #450 on: December 08, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »
By the way...it's taken me 21 years and countless viewings to realize that the ONLY transporter room on DS9 is literally right in the middle of CIC. They might as well just surrender every single time they use it. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #451 on: December 08, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »
Season two, episode 11 -- Another Quark episode! My god, stop with the episodes featuring a secondary character who only ever has one motivation and one possible storyline.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #452 on: December 09, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »
Season 2, episode 12: Odo reconciles with the paternalist scientist who discovered him and treats him like shit. Also, they find clues about the changeling race but O'Brien kind of kills everything or something.

They walk a thin line between having O'Brien be a stereotypical lovable Irishman and a stereotypical violent and poorly educated Irishman.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #453 on: December 10, 2014, 04:10:46 PM »
Season 2, episode 13: Bashir and O'Brien help aliens get rid of their biological weapons. They do this, and then the aliens decide to murder them to "erase all knowledge of the weapons" because...huh?

Anyway, with O'Brien poisoned, the two flee to a planet devastated by the bio-weapons and a buddy adventure ensues, with occasional glimpses at how everyone on DS9 is coping with the alleged death of their two beloved friends. Sweet! Touching! Even Quark is sad!

All fine in the end. Blah blah blah.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #454 on: December 11, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »
Season 2, episode 14: O'Brien attempts to get to the bottom of a strange plot after everyone on the station starts acting weird.

Turns out he's a perfect clone created by aliens to assassinate kd,,sss  snorebot!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #455 on: December 11, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
Season 2, episode 15: Sisko and O'Brien are trapped on a planet that doesn't believe in technology. They have to destroy a device that's creating a dampening field. Every sci-fi show has done this plot since 1965, but at least it's Sisko and O'Brien so it's manly. Bashir would spend the whole time hitting on female trees.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #456 on: December 22, 2014, 12:10:10 PM »
Season 2, episode 16: Man, talk about tropes. This is the episode where the entire village is a hologram and they don't know it, and the ancient hologram machine is flaking out so people vanish and nobody remembers them. Literally every sci-fi TV show that has lasted more than one season has done this story almost shut-by-shot. Highlights: The Dominion get namechecked.

Season 2, episode 17: A proto-universe that harbors life (though, confusingly, it is "life like nothing we've ever seen," which then begs the question how do we know it's life?) is growing exponentially in the science lab and the crew must figure out WTF. Meanwhile, Dax is training a new Trill. So despite apocalyptic doom all around, this is a vaguely comic Dax episode. Thanks, writers.

Season 2, episode 18: A Quark episode where they desperately try to flesh out his character by bringing in a past love. The trouble, as always, is that Quark has only one motivation and it's largely impossible to write that out as it fucks with the overall canon. So even though we get some interesting storytelling here, it always has to break down to an obsessive money grab on the part of Quark.

Season 2, episode 19: Another Dax episode. This time she has to honor her past host's blood oath with a trio of decrepit Klingons. She takes an unannounced leave of absence and murders about three dozen civilians and Sisko's reaction is of benevolent disapproval. Strange. The episode is elevated, somewhat, by the trio of Klingons, but Dax is ridiculous as always.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #457 on: December 23, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
Season 2, episode 20 and 21 introduces the Maquis. This vigilante organization on the Cardassian border is a subplot for all three new Trek series. TNG has multiple episodes dedicated to the Maquis, they're born here in DS9 and play a role throughout the Dominion War, and, of course, they're the reason Voyager gets lost (and also compose a contingent of her crew, including two title characters).

And, yet, the Maquis are never really fleshed out. It's almost like they're a failed spin-off series idea that then gets so wildly incorporated into the entire franchise that there's then no way out for the writers. An attempt to "resolve" the Maquis storyline does come up in Voyager when the ship gets a letter that casually says all the Maquis are dead (an incident played out in DS9), and then we just sort of drop it after that and tra-la-la. Kind of short-shrift for a very prominent part of the franchise. But, then, Voyager essentially does the same for the Borg and Q, so I don't know...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #458 on: December 31, 2014, 04:08:49 PM »
Season 2, episode 22: Garak has a breakdown.  snorebot!

Season 2, episode 23: The mirror universe episode! Actually just realizing that this is the first visit to the mirror universe since the TOS episode, and they totally fucked this up in the multiple mirror universe episodes in Enterprise. Here they state that the events in the TOS episode led Spock to destroy the Terran Empire nearly 100 years ago when Kirk visited. Yet the ship Kirk was trying to rescue in that episode shows up (100 years before the TOS episode) in the Enterprise Mirror episodes, which implies that the TOS episode went back in time...which...oh, fuck it.  this movie needs sam neill

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »
Season 2, episode 24: Bajoran religious stuff. Nana Visitor lounges around in skimpy nightgowns. A++.

Season 2, episode 25: O'Brien adventure episode! He's betrayed by one of his oldest friends and framed for treason. Because that guy just can't catch a break.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #460 on: January 14, 2015, 03:00:16 PM »
Season 2, episode 26: We dig into the Dominion! A great episode, and amusing because, at this point, the writers had no clue who or what the Dominion was. All that would be decided hastily over the summer.

Season 3, episodes 1-2: The Dominion are Odo's people! This is handled terribly.

Season 3, episode 3: The slow-down episode we didn't need. Quark Comedy protocol Enabled! Begin mindless horror.

Season 3, episode 4: A Dax episode. We're reminded for 45 straight minutes that Dax cannot fucking act and isn't even that hot if you stare at her straight on.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »
Season 3, episode 5: Hot Nana Visitor episode.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #462 on: January 15, 2015, 10:25:14 AM »
Season 3, episode 6: Uh... I don't remember! The baby Jem'Hadar, I think. And Odo has to raise him and... I watched it and can't recall a thing except OdoOdoOdoOdo... They whet our appetite with a Big Bad, and then they dick around with idiot bottle episodes while CONSTANTLY saying how bad the Big Bad is.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #463 on: January 19, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
Season 3, episode 7: Jake and Cisco set off a booby-trap, get stuck in a remote part of the station, and bond. Blah.

Season 3, episode 8: Fucking Dax in love with aliens episode...

Season 3, episode 9: Doppleganger Riker! Which was a pointless storyline years before in TNG and is never revisted again because they knew how awful it was as they filmed it.

Season 3, episode 10: Now... This is the episode where Lwaxana Troi goes through Betazoid menopause and destroys everyone's day. This is a de facto "Naked Now" remake, which every Star Trek series does eventually.  I just like the idea that Betazoid menopause can make a thousand people violently drunk.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #464 on: January 24, 2015, 10:40:53 AM »