Author Topic: Suffering Through TNG: It's time for your oral exam, Wesley!  (Read 78211 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Suffering Through TNG
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 03:08:29 PM »
Home Soil.

Silicone based lifeforms on a planet being terraformed by the Federation have gone insane!  Will Picard be able to save the day?

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »
Will Picard be able to save the day?

Hmm...I'm going to go with "Yes"!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 06:15:40 PM »
When the Bough Breaks.

A mythical planet reveals itself and asks for the Federation's help.  By remaining hidden, the inhabitants are all sterile, so now they need to kidnap the Enterprise's children.  Uh... Will Picard be able to save the day?!?!  OMG!

Also, I need a drink.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 09:04:28 PM »
Coming of Age.

A Wesley episode.  Yay!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 10:38:17 PM »
Coming of Age does introduce the "conspiracy" of parasitic aliens that had been taking over high ranking Starfleet officials.  This resulted in the controversial episode towards the end of the season where Picard and Riker blew the fuck out of the main baddie in a big, gory, not quite right for early prime time mess (the episode still can't be shown in its entirety in  the UK).

This was one of the great fuck-ups in TNG.  The parasites were meant to be the Borg.  From the start, Team Roddenberry were planning on bringing in the Borg as the main baddie for the series.  Originally, the Borg were to be mechanical insects, of which the season one parasites were advance scouts.

But then the 1988 writer's strike hit, the second season was a disaster, and the planned insectoid nature of the Borg was deemed too expensive.  So we got the American version of the Cybermen, and they were horrifically mishandled for the rest of the series.  From getting in touch with their inner humanity, to trying to end the arc with Lore taking them over, to suddenly deciding that they had a queen for the movie, and then to pulling their teeth in Voyager.  Even introducing the Borg was weird.  Instead of the planned multiple-season encroaching attack from a distant galaxy, Q is the one who introduces them in a typical throw-away episode where he takes the Enterprise far out into uncharted space.  Then the Borg mysteriously manage to cover all that distance in the third season and attack Earth.

All that was fucked in Voyager, though, because the Borg had been assimilating humans (Seven of Nine) before Q brought the Enterprise into Borg space... So the Borg knew all about Earth and Starfleet and...ugh. 

For a show that was overseen by a small cabal of untalented hacks from inception up until Enterprise crash and burned, they sure couldn't figure out how to keep anything straight.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 10:58:56 PM »
Heart of Glory.

The stock footage-heavy episode where fugitive Klingons try to take over the Enterprise (with the exception of Worf, it's the first appearance of Klingons in TNG). 

Star Trek VI, which dealt with the Klingons and the Federation declaring peace, was still years away (it came out during TNG's third season), so TNG sort of had to futz around as to exactly how the Klingon Empire came to be Federation allies in the first season.  Largely, this was handled by just not talking about it.  So the random renegade Klingons causing trouble was a safe storyline.  By the third season, the show had incorporated the movie's backstory on the Klingons. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »
The Arsenal of Freedom.

Picard and crew are trapped by an antiquated defense system on a dead planet.  Very old school Star Trek!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
The Arsenal of Freedom.

Picard and crew are trapped by an antiquated defense system on a dead planet.  Very old school Star Trek!

So, yeah, this is the first good episode of the season!  Yay!  And it only took 745 hours of agony!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2008, 01:46:19 PM »
Symbiosis.

Picard must mediate a trade dispute!  Hang on to your hats!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »
Skin of Evil.

Tasha Yar dies!  Denise Crosby gets shafted out of the series.  Thank god.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 06:08:14 PM »
this is my new favorite thread.
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2008, 09:19:19 AM »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Picard meets an old flame, now married to a mad scientist.  But no real conflict, because Picard is asexual and retreats to the holodeck to drown his sorrows in imaginary wine.  Which is what the title's about, as they're at a cafe in Paris when the old flame says goodbye to him one last time.

Also, did the writer's strike start early?  I mean, really...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2008, 10:57:17 AM »
Conspiracy!

This episode was awesome the first time around, and still is this time around.  The failed intro for the Borg, and never followed up... See my post earlier in this thread (for the episode Coming of Age)for a full discussion on that.

Frustrating, because the episode ends with a cliffhanger.  The alien subspace message going off into unexplored space.  Never followed up thanks to the writer's strike and Borg reimagining.

Also frustrating because, instead of a tense season finale, it's the penultimate episode of the season.  Next episode is a retarded Space Seed ripoff, except without the threat.  Instead of rescuing Khan from a 20th century sleeper ship, they rescue a bunch of stockbrokers from a 20th century sleeper ship.  The stockbrokers spend the episode complaining about not being able to make a phone call or check the Wall Street Journal.  Fuck.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 10:37:05 AM »
Okay, let's finish this shit...  The Neutral Zone.

The anti-climatic finale mentioned above.  Stockbrokers from the past get testy when they aren't able to act exactly like it's the 1980's even though they're on an awesome spaceship and they have access to a machine that can make anything they want and all the girls are parading around in mini-skirts and boots and the common cold has been cured.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2008, 11:08:07 AM »
what was the message of that episode?  that wall street guys are twerps?
You ain't a has been if you never was.