Author Topic: Suffering Through TNG: It's time for your oral exam, Wesley!  (Read 85400 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Suffering Through TNG
« Reply #180 on: December 28, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
The Mind's Eye.

I'm desperately trying to finish season four because it's eight gigs on my hard drive that I need back.  Plus, it's nice being near the end!  Two more after this.

This is the Manchurian Candidate ripoff episode.  Geordi is captured by Romulans who brainwash him to kill a Klingon ambassador and create a rift between the Klingon Empire and the Federation.  While Geordi episodes leave me cold, at least this one isn't a love story.  And it also advances the Klingon Civil War plot.  So...whatever.  I'm watching these in a minimized screen while doing mind-numbing crap for my sixth and seventh jobs.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #181 on: December 28, 2008, 10:16:03 AM »
So Denise Crosby in her recurring role of Sela the evil Romulan is sort of revealed here... I guess they couldn't afford her, so the figure is always in shadow and she dubs in the voice.  Maybe she had a big pimple on her face or something...?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #182 on: December 28, 2008, 01:57:51 PM »
In Theory.

Wow.  Okay... So Data decides to experiment with his ability to be human by dating a fellow crewmember.  Meanwhile, weird shit is happening on the ship thanks to a nearby nebula.  Also, most of the audience was away during this episode to break down the gates at Paramount and ritualistically slaughter everyone in sight.

Patrick Stewart is directing, and claims this is his favorite episode of the series. 

Michele Scarabelli of Alien Nation is the love interest.  Always weird seeing her with hair.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #183 on: December 28, 2008, 06:37:29 PM »
Redemption.  Part one.

The Klingon Civil War!  The season four finale, and the 100th episode of the series. 

All the Klingon storylines come together in a big blowout.  Worf fights to redeem his name and his father's honor, all the baddies that have been set up come together.  The Duras sisters are introduced -- they'll be recurring bad guys in TNG, DS9, and will finally destroy the Enterprise in Generations.

Sela is properly introduced.  Denise Crosby's recurring role as a Romulan baddie. 

Ships blow up, Klingons fight, and the still weakened Federation is forced to intervene.  RDM penned the script.

End season four!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2008, 07:17:16 PM »
So...season five.  We start out by neatly tying up the Klingon Civil War.  The losing side is on the outs, but not decisively defeated.

Michelle Forbes appears as the failed recurring Bajoran character.  Nana Visitor in DS9 would, pretty much, fill those shoes.  A shame.

The Crystalline Entity returns, we get a Wesley episode, and Spock comes back to the franchise for a big two-parter.  There are two alien possession stories, Riker goes gay, Worf has his son for most of the season, and the Borg are tamed in the hideous episode I, Borg, which is the first Borg episode to be retconned out of existence come First Contact

Q is, sadly, absent.

The season ends with everyone trapped in the 1890's. 

Yes, you read that correctly.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 07:19:00 PM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #185 on: December 28, 2008, 11:20:01 PM »
Part two of Redemption.

Picard finally figures out that there's a Romulan plot and leads a fleet of ships to stop them while Worf and his little buddies try to stop the House of Duras from being assholes.

Much of the story is continued in DS9.  At least, the fate of all the bad guys.  But that's because they were reaching for storylines and, as soon as Worf joined the cast, they just decided to bring in all of his baggage. 

The Sela arc continues.  Sela is, essentially, the same baddie as in Nemesis. Tasha Yar's DNA taken from after she went back in time in the alternate reality...um...yeah.  So what they did was create the same baddie in Nemesis, except they had him made from Picard's DNA because everybody had forgotten Denise Crosby by then.  We should be forgetting Denise Crosby now but, no, they have to drag her back once a season and remind us.

Basically, everything that happens from season five onwards is retconned in First Contact and Nemesis.  Again, the jury's still out as to how much of TNG was a Q-created dream.  If TNG were coming out now, and free of the idiocy on the production staff, that's the path it would take...and clearly feels like the message once you're done with All Good Things....  Especially Q's comment that "We never left the courtroom" from Encounter at Farpoint.

Doing this insane marathon really puts a spotlight on the potential of this show (and franchise).  Shame it got brutally fucked up and self-involved after TNG...and during.

Anyway.  Let's begin season five!  Ugh.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2008, 10:50:32 AM »
Darmok.

Picard is trapped on a planet with an alien who only speaks in metaphor.  So they have to figure out how to communicate to survive a scary monster.

Please...somebody call an ambulance.

This episode is the first time we see Picard's jaunty away mission jacket-uniform.  With the unchanging dress code of the TNg world, you notice the small things.  When the uniforms changed in the second season, when Picard got his grey and red jacket, when Troi actually started wearing clothes...

Also, this is Ashley Judd's acting debut.  She's a nobody ensign but, later in the season, gets a slightly larger role.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #187 on: December 29, 2008, 02:54:49 PM »
Ensign Ro.

Here's this piece of shit episode. 

The Bajorans are introduced, and a terrorist attack on a Federation colony gets the Enterprise involved.  Michelle Forbes comes on in the recurring role of Ensign Ro.

I don't know... Michelle Forbes is always a pleasure. 

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #188 on: December 29, 2008, 05:50:25 PM »
I'm amazed that you're actually watching the whole friggin' series. That's dedication.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2008, 05:53:14 PM »
Just wait till Starship Mine!  That's the episode where they're fumigating the Enterprise or something and Picard goes back to get his favorite saddle and runs into hijackers. 

I'm going to need someone to watch that with me so I can hold their hand and cry on their shoulder.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2008, 06:00:14 PM »
Silicon Avatar.

The Crystalline Entity returns. 

So, the Crystalline Entity is some sort of super something.  We never really learn what it is, there's no communication, and there's no backstory.  Although, previously, it was working with and (seemingly) talking to Lore, with hostile intentions towards the Federation.  Here it seems to still have those hostile intentions.

On board the Enterprise is a bitter scientist sent to investigate the entity... Though she really plans on killing it, and does so, and that's the end of the Crystalline Entity arc.  Weird.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »
Disaster.

Wasn't going to watch any tonight because, Jesus, I watched them all day... But I've been waiting for this one!  Picard is trapped in the turbolift with three horrible child actors.  Yay!  Meanwhile, Troi is the only officer left to run the Enterprise, with everyone else trapped elsewhere in the ship. 

Worf delivers Keiko's baby so, eventually, there are two DS9 episodes making fun of this episode.  Also Data loses his head...literally!  Ha ha ha!  Fuck me.

The real shame of this episode is that it's the last Star Trek to air before Roddenberry's death.  I think he died the day after it aired or something, which would have been my reaction if I were in his shoes.  God almighty...here I go. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #192 on: December 29, 2008, 10:19:12 PM »
I mean, seriously...Most animals are better actors than these kids.  The kids are even looking off screen for cues the whole time.  It's more obvious than acting dogs.  I keep expecting someone to throw a fish at them when they get a fucking line right.

A show that costs over a million 1990 dollars per episode and they can't get kids who don't stumble through their lines and constantly look off screen for approval from their parents?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #193 on: December 30, 2008, 09:57:06 AM »
The Game.

Just to drive the knife deeper, we get a fucking Wesley episode from out of nowhere.

He visits the Enterprise and finds everyone addicted to a 3d game. 

So Wesley teams up with fucking Ashley Judd to save the crew.

Dude.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #194 on: December 30, 2008, 10:17:22 AM »
Also, in regards to the Crystalline Entity episode, I'm really surprised that Riker didn't try to sleep with it.