Author Topic: The Changing Face of Publishing  (Read 21680 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: The Changing Face of Publishing
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 05:12:03 PM »
The Kindle Killer rises...

It's pricey, and just in Japan, but it's what people want from these fucking things...

Just weeks after the announcement of Amazon's Kindle 2, Fujitsu today announced the release of the world's first color e-Paper "mobile terminal", now for sale in Japan.

It's called FLEPia (Nice name. Not.) and its features include:

* 8-inch display screen capable of showing up to 260,000 colors in high-definition (768 x 1024 resolution).
    * Equipped with Bluetooth and high-speed wireless LAN.
    * 40 hours of continuous battery operation when fully charged..
    * Supports up to 4GB SD card (the equivalent of 5,000 conventional paper-based books).
    * Books downloaded directly to device.
    * Embedded stereo speakers for audio playback of e-books.
    * Input: touch screen, digital stylus, scroll key, function buttons.
    * Two e-book viewers included as standard feature (BunkoViewer [XMDF], T-Time [.book]).
    * Loaded with Windows CE5.0, enabling use of an Internet browser, e-mail, and various software.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 10:11:25 PM »
does it play comic books?  because that would be a dealmaker for me.
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 01:14:35 AM »
If it has proper internet access, then yes.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »

Mediaisdying reports that the travel guide company Lonely Planet will cease publishing at the end of 2009. It seems with updated information being readily available online the BBC owned operation no longer foresaw profits for their iconic series of books. Sales have steadily decreased despite the company’s best efforts to paint any possible destination as a ‘marvelous land of contrasts.’

Also, despite the instructions of the publisher to the writers to phrase their bits of history and trivia in ‘as bland and universally-appreciated as possible’, the bottom seems to have fallen out of the market.

Naturally, the economic crisis played a defining role in the collapse. With the number of international trips way down, travelers have made cutbacks on the items they have been purchasing.

Joe Arpit, an American visiting Laos, tells us that when it came down to preparation, he “just packed the yellow pages instead” of a guidebook.

Costs have been running high at Lonely Planet as they have maintained their line of guides encompassing 750 countries throughout the world. Although they cut the requirement that the travel guide authors actually go to their destinations back in the eighties, the fact that they were still obliged to pay something to researchers turned out to be unsustainable.

Co-founder Tony Wheeler, in a brief interlude from his perpetual series of poolside Thai massages, provided hints about the move during an interview early last year with Vanity Fair.

“Lonely Planet books? We’re actually still around?”

A spokesman at the BBC stated that the American division will be seeking emergency loans in a form of a stimulus package to try and keep the books in print.

“If they’ll give billions of dollars to build Hummers, surely they’re willing to give us a few million so that Detroit can be depicted in our guides as ‘a bustling metropolis with buckets of local character’,” PR representative Herb Bowmont stated.

Herb went on to state that in the future the company will focus on online operations, and that Lonely Planet Labs is currently developing a new form of nano, eco, solar guidebook that costs under $5 and dispenses microloans called the iMhere

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
Lonely Planets are the best guidebooks ever.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 02:41:29 PM »
They're my go-to guides.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
Costs have been running high at Lonely Planet as they have maintained their line of guides encompassing 750 countries throughout the world.

Maybe costs are running high because they think there are 750 countries in the world?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »
You've never been to the Underlayer, have you?

BEWARE THE UNDERLAYER!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 10:09:05 AM »
Starlog goes web only...

Starlog, one of the longest-running print magazines devoted to the worlds of sci-fi and fantasy, has ceased publication after 33 years.

Official word of Starlog's demise came in a posting last week on the Starlog.com site, buried five paragraphs deep in an update informing readers that Starlog.com had relaunched in beta as part of a "massive digital initiative" and touting the fact that a "Digital store," to launch next month, will feature digital editions of the entire Starlog catalog.

We should now be seeing that it's not a question of "the death of publishing" or newspapers/magazines/etc., but simply a transition from the well outdated and ridiculous (for newspapers) print format to the electronic format. 

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 10:55:13 AM »
Yes. 

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »
Nice.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 09:26:45 PM »
yeah, and magazines don't have streaming video.
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 08:20:46 PM »
yeah, and magazines don't have streaming video.

Not yet!
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 10:52:51 AM »
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/05/05/its-a-small-globe-after-all/

Back when people read newspapers, The Boston Globe was a titan. Even as recent as 10 years ago, the Globe had more than a half-million daily readers, easily holding its title as the largest paper in New England.

Today the Globe tells a different story. Just last week, the newspaper reported a pitfall in circulation: a 13.6 percent drop from last year, leaving it with just more than 300,000 copies a day.

Falling readership had been the cause of what looked like the paper's slow death, but in early April, a quicker illness reared: the Globe's owner, The New York Times Co., threatened to shutter the newspaper if it didn't find $20 million to cut. The newsroom union is still working out a deal with management to postpone the Times from filing a notice allowing it to close the paper within 60 days.

The Times Co. has said the Globe is on pace to lose another $85 million this year, an enormous but still not entirely surprising figure for a company operating in the faltering, changing field of print journalism. Ads have been down more than ever. The recession makes it worse. Subscribers are less loyal -- when I worked on the paper's City Desk last winter, I got angry calls from readers saying they were canceling their subscriptions because the Sunday issue no longer included the TV guide.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 02:28:14 PM »
Subscribers are less loyal -- when I worked on the paper's City Desk last winter, I got angry calls from readers saying they were canceling their subscriptions because the Sunday issue no longer included the TV guide.

There's your newspaper demographic:  People who use a printed TV guide.