Archives > Newsday Special: 2008 Election

FiveThirtyEight.com

<< < (2/4) > >>

nacho:

--- Quote from: Reginald McGraw on October 24, 2008, 12:17:48 PM ---And Matt, please note DC's voting history.

--- End quote ---

Roughly parallel to a banana republic's voting history.  WE LOVE COLONEL ALVAREZ!

Matt:
I don't see how DC's voting history is fundamentally different from a traditionally "red" state like Utah or something. And it seems consistent that cities vote Democrat; we always see the biggest population bars of blue from blue cities. Should we disenfranchise them too because they consistently vote Democratic? A place's voting history seems to be the worst argument against its enfranchisement.

fajwat:

--- Quote from: Matt on October 24, 2008, 01:41:47 PM ---I don't see how DC's voting history is fundamentally different from a traditionally "red" state like Utah or something.
--- End quote ---

No one's saying it is.  What is different is that DC isn't currently a state, and doesn't have full and equal representation as such.

--- Quote from: Matt on October 24, 2008, 01:41:47 PM ---And it seems consistent that cities vote Democrat; we always see the biggest population bars of blue from blue cities. Should we disenfranchise them too because they consistently vote Democratic? A place's voting history seems to be the worst argument against its enfranchisement.

--- End quote ---

Yes, cities are liberal.  Remember what Nubbs said about Atlanta vs the rest of the state?  Currently Atlanta and every other city's liberalism is moderated and balanced out by its surroundings.  Even the suburbs are more Republican than the cities they surround, and DC doesn't really even include suburbs. 

Want to treat DC equal to all other cities?  If you gave DC statehood, that would mean to keep all other cities equal you'd need to carve each of them out of their existing states and giving each city 2 senators and at least 3 electoral college votes.

Tatertots:

--- Quote from: fajwat on October 24, 2008, 02:54:24 PM ---If you gave DC statehood, that would mean to keep all other cities equal you'd need to carve each of them out of their existing states and giving each city 2 senators and at least 3 electoral college votes.

--- End quote ---

I can't for the life of me follow your logic on this.

fajwat:

--- Quote from: Tatertots on October 24, 2008, 03:23:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: fajwat on October 24, 2008, 02:54:24 PM ---If you gave DC statehood, that would mean to keep all other cities equal you'd need to carve each of them out of their existing states and giving each city 2 senators and at least 3 electoral college votes.

--- End quote ---

I can't for the life of me follow your logic on this.

--- End quote ---

Cities are cities.  States are states.  If we start treating the city of Washington, DC like a state we aren't just re-enfranchising it -- we're giving it more voting representation than we are any other city.  Republicans dislike the idea because DC would always give Dems their extra votes.

Giving DC equal votes would mean making it part of MD, or part of VA -- all other cities are represented as part of states, not as their own states. 

What don't you follow?  It seems so straightforward to me that I must be leaving something out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version