Author Topic: BSG: Prequel Movie Cash-in Freak Out  (Read 19645 times)

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
Re: BSG: Prequel Movie Cash-in Freak Out
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »
I never saw 1980 so I wouldn't know. I'm willing to bet this sucks ass and the critical reception to it will be bad. Moore could ride the BSG train out for his first shitflick and escape relatively unharmed but if you milk that cash cow you're gonna get punished.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 04:37:12 PM »
This is a fan-made trailer for the proposed second BSG spin-off series.  Some high school kid put this together, expressing his desire for a first Cylon war series.

And, weirdly, this one minute trailer done by a kid is better than season 4.5 of BSG, The Plan,  and all of Caprica...  Which is really, really sad.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2010, 12:30:01 PM »
And the second BSG spin-off is a go.  "Chrome and Blood."  It's just going to be webisodes for now...

Syfy is working on a new Battlestar Galactica series that will follow the exploits William "Husker" Adama during the Cylon War. According to the Chicago Tribune, the show is called "Blood and Chrome" and will be an online series with about 10 episodes, each around 9 minutes long.

According to Mark Stern, Syfy's executive vice president of original programming and the co-head of original content for Universal Cable Productions, "Battlestar Galactica" and "Caprica" co-executive producer Michael Taylor will write the the script for the new venture.

"Blood & Chrome" is "about a young man's initiation into war: both the realities of war as fought by soldiers on the ground (and in Battlestars and Vipers), and the somewhat less real version portrayed in the media," according to Taylor.

"Blood & Chrome" would consist of nine or 10 episodes of nine or 10 minutes each, and it would make use of cutting-edge digital technology and special effects to depict the Cylon War. If it is greenlit to production, it will be filmed using green screens and virtual sets, not unlike Syfy's "Sanctuary" or James Cameron's "Avatar." Before "Battlestar Galactica" ended, high-tech scans were made of all the show's sets, so that the special-effects team will be able to re-create them (possibly even in 3D).

Taylor revealed some other details to the Tribune:

"I've seen the virtual, 3D version of CIC ['Battlestar's' Combat Information Center] and it's pretty damn cool," Taylor said. "And yet the movie isn't confined to Galactica. Far from it. It's a story that will take us to new corners of the 'Battlestar' world (or worlds), and yet it aims to be a very contemporary war movie in a lot of ways. I would say I'm thinking as much of Afghanistan and Iraq--the reality of 'Hurt Locker,' Sebastian Junger's 'Restrepo,' and similar movies--as I am about about the largely implied past of 'Battlestar.'"

If the series is successful, more could follow.

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2010, 12:08:22 PM »
where's a suicide emote when you need it

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 01:27:16 PM »
Jesus...talking about kicking dead horses across several galaxies...

According to Edward James Olmos, we WILL find out what happened to William Adama after the events of the Battlestar Galactica series finale, because he's at work on a sequel we'll all get to see "pretty soon."

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »
Why didn't they just, I don't know, not cancel it?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 01:35:28 PM »
That's the thing I don't get.  They cancel it, say it's over, and then race into Caprica and countless low-grade episodic movie projects and other spin-offs. Now movies...okay. But the "first Cylon War" series with young Adama makes you go, hmmm... That's just more of the same, right? 

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 01:37:28 PM »
I think we've had the "TV sci-fi becomes more cost-prohibitive as time goes on" discussion before, so I won't beat that dead horse either, but it seems like they didn't want to cancel it. They just couldn't afford to do it anymore.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2010, 04:01:47 PM »
And it's official.

EXCLUSIVE: Syfy Gives the Greenlight to Young Adama 'Battlestar' Spinoff; Movie, Possible Series to Come

A few months ago, the Syfy network commissioned an online series called 'Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome,' a chronicle of the war experiences of young William Adama.

The network liked Michael Taylor's script for the project so much that Syfy will air 'Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome' on the network as the pilot for a possible young Adama TV series.

Mark Stern, Syfy's executive vice president of original programming and the co-head of original content for Universal Cable Productions, said the network hoped to begin production on the pilot in Vancouver in early 2011.

"When we read Michael's script, it was so clearly a full-blown pilot for a series," Stern said in a Thursday interview. "The scope is fantastic and bigger, I think, than anticipated, so we said, 'Let's do it as a 2-hour backdoor pilot.' ... We're trying to get up and running as soon as possible."
47diggsdigg

Read on for more on 'Blood & Chrome' as well as a bit of news on 'Caprica,' another 'Battlestar Galactica' spinoff.

'Blood & Chrome' won't air until the fourth quarter of 2011 at the earliest, Stern said, but an early 2012 debut sounds more likely, especially if the network decides to go forward with a full series. Given the project's origins as an online project, expect lots of Web extras as well.

Fans missing the Battlestar Galactica itself -- the valiant old ship that housed Adama, Starbuck, Apollo and the rest -- will get to see it once again, or a version of it, in the new show. High-resolution digital scans were made of all the 'Battlestar Galactica' sets before they were torn down, and those scans will be used in the new project, which, like Syfy's 'Sanctuary,' will employ cutting-edge computer effects to supply virtual sets.

"It's an opportunity to 'see them before they were famous,'" Stern said of 'Blood & Chrome,' which takes place roughly 20 years after the events of 'Caprica' and about 40 years before the events of 'BSG.' "Here's the Battlestar Galactica as a brand-new, shiny ship -- well, not shiny, but as a new ship that had just been commissioned. What was that like?"

The Adama of 'Battlestar Galactica,' as so memorably played by Edward James Olmos, was a capable military commander leading the fight against the Cylon race under almost impossible conditions. Ensign William Adama of 'Blood & Chrome' is newly minted Viper pilot, one who goes through a challenging experiences on a difficult mission.

"This is very much an action-adventure, war series," Stern said. "This is definitely dealing with people who are fighting the fight. ... As you hope 'Battlestar' would do, it kind of comments on that process a little bit... but not in a preachy way, not in an issues-oriented way, not in a hitting-you-over-the-head way. Really, the fabric and the canvas of the series are people in the fight and what they grapple with when it comes to each other and what they grapple with when it comes to the enemy they're fighting."

"Your way into the story is a young William Adama who is not the grizzled old veteran we have come to love in 'BSG,'" Stern noted. "This is someone who is more like us, in terms of coming into this with certain preconceptions and learning as you go. ... It's very much about relationships along the way. I think ultimately the arc of the pilot and of the series is about getting Adama to be who you came to know in 'BSG,' but it's also about the deep relationships he forms. And I don't think there are any deeper relationships than the ones you form in life-or-death situations."

In a July interview, Taylor, a 'Battlestar Galactica' and 'Caprica' co-executive producer, said 'Blood & Chrome' was about "a young man's initiation into war: both the realities of war as fought by soldiers on the ground (and in Battlestars and Vipers), and the somewhat less real version portrayed in the media."

Ronald D. Moore, 'BSG's' executive producer, was "in the room" when the 'Blood & Chrome' story was conceived; Stern called him the "godfather" of the project. However at this time, Moore, who has a deal with Sony and is developing projects like 'The Wild, Wild West' there, has no official role on 'Blood & Chrome.'

Given that a full-blown series, if one is ordered, might not go into production for a year, Stern said the hope is that Moore might be able to come on board if 'Blood & Chrome' goes forward beyond the pilot. David Eick and Taylor are executive producers and Bradley Thompson and David Weddle are producers on 'Blood & Chrome'; all are veterans of 'BSG.'

Stern said actor Nico Cortez was "great" as young Adama in the 'BSG' movie 'Razor,' but it is not certain that he will take the lead in 'Blood & Chrome.' "I'm assuming there will be a full casting process for this pilot, but with Nico at the top of the list," Stern said. There's also a chance that we'll meet younger versions of other 'Battlestar' characters or people connected to either that world or to 'Caprica,' but the new project would try to do those things with "a light touch," Stern said.

Asked if 'BSG' composer Bear McCreary would do the music for 'Blood & Chrome,' Stern said no deal had been struck but he "couldn't imagine" the project without a McCreary score.

For 'Caprica' fans wondering what all this means for their show, Stern noted that 'Blood & Chrome' was developed separately from the other 'Battlestar' spinoff, which is in the midst of airing season 1 episodes now.

"To be really categorical about it, this is not about finding something else so we can get rid of 'Caprica," Stern said. "I don't know the fate of 'Caprica' yet, but, if anything, 'Blood & Chrome' going to series would only be a great opportunity to pair it with something.'

Stern said the decision on whether to give 'Caprica' a second season would be made no later than Nov. 15.

A few more clues about the 'Blood & Chrome' story follow. Look away if you'd rather not know them.

'Blood & Chrome,' which takes place in the tenth year of the Cylon War, follows Adama, a recent Academy graduate, as he and a rookie pilot take a female character on an important mission. There's a potential love interest for Adama in the story, but the pilot is basically about that mission, which, if successful, could turn the tide of the war.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2010, 05:24:35 AM »
Wow.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2010, 08:39:32 AM »
Jesus...the BSG franchise is turning into a horror show.

So after swearing up and down that Blood and Chrome was not intended to replace Caprica, what's today's news?  Caprica has been canceled.

And not just canceled -- it ends next Tuesday, with five episodes left unaired.

Brutal.

Blood and Chrome goes into overdrive for a 2011 premiere.

This is like some fucked up presidency.  In 25 years will RDM write a book about what really happened with BSG?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2010, 08:42:27 PM »
Concept art from 'Blood & Chrome.'

http://blastr.com/2010/12/-concept-art-from-battles1s.php#3

So that's the destruction of the Resurrection Ship in season two of BSG with an OG Cylon fighter added.

I'll believe this shit after I see it.  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...don't...don't get fooled again.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
Who’s going to play young William Adama in Syfy’s highly anticipated Battlestar Galactica prequel Blood & Chrome?

Syfy has cast Luke Pasqualino (Skins — U.K.) as Adama. While Ben Cotton (Hellcats, Riese) is the other lead, playing Adama’s commanding officer.

First, here’s some official character descriptions that give you some new details about the show:

Pasqualino will star as the young, talented fighter pilot William Adama, a recent Academy graduate who finds himself assigned to the newest Battlestar in the Colonial fleet: the Galactica. Full of ambition and in pursuit of the intense action that the Cylon war promises, Adama quickly finds himself at odds with Coker (Cotton), the battle-weary officer to whom he reports. With 45 days left in his tour of duty, Coker desires an end to battle just as much as Adama craves the start of it. Though they clash at first, the two men forge an unlikely bond when a routine mission turns dangerous and becomes a pivotal one for the desperate fleet.

Blood & Chrome is set during the 10th year of the first Cylon war. The show will debut with a two-hour pilot on Syfy, executive produced by David Eick.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »
As much as anything BSG makes me roll my eyes these days, this is a return to basics -- what the original show and the first three years of the remake promised (and never, fully, delivered as both got mired in their own brands of nonsense).

So... I'm hopeful.

The problem: Both shows got mired in that nonsense because it was too costly to deliver a weekly space battle freakout. Blood & Chrome will be no better off... And the format doesn't allow for Stargate-style planet-bound stories with the guest star of the week and the same set painted a different color each time. Which means we'll stray into ship-bound drama. But, since the Colonies and the Fleet are still around, ship-bound drama will all be war stuff a la Starship Troopers. None of this civilian angst, political miasma, and social problem du jour. 

Which may good, really, because the original did that too little too late, and the remake turned it into shit. But... I don't know. It's hard to see this working well.