Author Topic: Bones & NCIS  (Read 6323 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Bones & NCIS
« on: May 15, 2008, 10:12:55 AM »
I've been marathoning two shows over the last couple of months, and have finally caught up.

Bones, currently ending it's fourth season next week with a tasty cliffhanger (two parter after last night's), has been a somewhat rocky ride.

The first thing I had to do was get David Boreanaz as Angel out of my head.  He's easily grown into the role of FBI Agent Booth, though.  After the first season, no problem.

Bones is, by far, the weaker of the two shows.  Each season has a handful of yawn episodes... But the bulk of the episodes are great, and it never fails to be gross.  That, in fact, seems to be the hook.  The grossest, weirdest shit. 

Where Bones suffers is that it's purely about Booth and Bones, but it tries for an ensemble cast.  The supporting cast are really no better than recurring characters, though.  Every once in a while, there's a lame stab to develop them but, mostly, we don't care.  We aren't meant to care.  I don't know if this is because the cast is overloaded with characters, or if it's just too hard for Fox writers to spread the love.  In the end, the supporting cast really become distracting.  Especially when there's the occasional moment where they're required for more than just casual banter and comic relief.  So if there's a sudden, serious, important thing that involves acting, you're sitting there going, huh?

Emily Deschanel, by far the hottest of the Deschanel sisters, does a consistently great job.  The whole series is worth it just to get her into a Wonder Woman outfit and walking around on Halloween with a huge gun.

By far the most troubling aspect of the show is how they contrive to not only get Booth and Bones involved in a crime, but the mysterious fact that Booth is working alone and unofficially partnered with some forensic scientist who has nothing to do with the FBI.  For almost three seasons, they work hard to have the crime happen on federal property and have to explain why Booth is involved.  This season, they've just given up.  The FBI investigates everything!  Strangely, it's a relief.  Trying to explain the implausibility really hampered the script.  Just having the wacky FBI agent and his cute hyper-rational sidekick show up at some crime scene and start investigating works fine.

NCIS is a far different ball of wax.  Ending its fifth season next week, it has been five years of consecutively good episodes.  There's not one dud in the whole series, and the occasional slow moments and dead-end sub-plots are forgivable. They even weathered the death and replacement of a main character with only two lame-o episodes at the start of the third season.  By the third episode, no problem.  And well attached already to the new chick -- who's hot as hell.

The ensemble, unlike Bones, is expertly put together.  Not only do the characters grow as the show goes on, but you're invested in them from the get-go.  A whole team of wonderful actors.

And no weird stuff, either.  Like the FBI investigating a robbery or something.  Navy or Marine deaths/shenanigans are what NCIS police, and it's plenty believable.  Even if something does cross over, they have to deal with local cops or Army CID or whatever.  I've become a huge NCIS fan, and can't recommend it enough. 

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
Re: Bones & NCIS
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:37:43 AM »
Yes, I have always said that the biggest problem with Bones is that an FBI agent would never be consistantly teamed up with a non FBI agent.  All they needed to do to solve this was make her an FBI agent.  Then the whole thing about her being a good shot and able to kick ass would be resolved as well.  Forget the whole "Jeffersonian" thing.  She could still be an author and make mad money from books and still be an forensic agent.

NCIS.....I have to agree this show is totally awe....wait for it....some!

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »
Agreed completely.  I've only seen both shows maybe 3 times.  I watched the Mudman episode of Bones last week.  It's about murderous motorcycle racers and it's, like, REALLY REALLY SUPER ACCURATE AND THINGS.

Another good show you should check out is Las Vegas... make sure it's the James Caan version.  He left and now Tom Sellick has taken his place and I can't vouch for the quality of the show anymore, but the one's I've seen with Caan in them have been really great.
8=o tation

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
Las Vegas is just tits and ass with an attempt at a story line.  Don't get me wrong it's worth watching if you have nothing else, but as far as character development and actual writing skills this show is lacking.  Ever since Selleck took over the show has gotten worse.  So much so that it has been cancelled.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:18:07 PM »
I'm a Zooey man myself.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:26:07 PM »
Nah, Emily's the way to go.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 03:13:49 PM »
NCIS.....I have to agree this show is totally awe....wait for it....some!

Oooh...your HIMYM is showing!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 10:29:26 PM »
I want to bump this.  I got drunk tonight and watched this week's episode of NCIS again, and it's really just lovely.  Even the episodes with the third-tier characters are great.

I'm kind of dreading not having more NCIS until next fall.  I get an hour next week, then a long wait till September.  It really is a wonderful show.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:20:23 PM »
I love how Bones pulled their cliffhanger punch in the same season!  The final episode is two weeks after the freakout shootout and seems to be starting the new season.  Weird, and kind of a letdown.

And the actual OMG season finale punch is really lame and stupid and goes against what little characterization there was these last three years for the second tier guy in question.  Nor did it make any kind of sense related to the entire, multi-season arc they were closing. 

That finale turned me off of the show...

Tonight I'll be watching the double episode super-finale for NCIS.  Looks like it'll be fun.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:21:39 AM by nacho »

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 12:09:21 PM »
You get a nice bikini shot of Cote.  Also a huge cliffhanger ending.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 12:37:02 PM »
Oh, god, bikini shot.  This season has been mostly about her ass, as far as I can tell.  Long, lingering shots as she crawls around on the floor and makes jokes.  Even Mark Harmon is looking.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »
I love how Bones pulled their cliffhanger punch in the same season!  The final episode is two weeks after the freakout shootout and seems to be starting the new season.  Weird, and kind of a letdown.

And the actual OMG season finale punch is really lame and stupid and goes against what little characterization there was these last three years for the second tier guy in question.  Nor did it make any kind of sense related to the entire, multi-season arc they were closing. 

That finale turned me off of the show...

Amen brother.  That was without a doubt the dumbest season finale I have ever seen.  I mean he is able to fight someone and kick ass two weeks after a freaking chest wound.  Painful....just painful.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 11:11:09 PM »
You get a nice bikini shot of Cote.  Also a huge cliffhanger ending.

Holy...fuck.  To both those points.  Can I have Ziva?  Please?

What a great episode.  Double length!  Can't go wrong.  And Abby/Ducky/Palmer playing at being Ziva/Tony/Gibbs for that few seconds while hanging out at the office was hilarious.  They had the banter and entrances/exits down perfect. 

NCIS is one of the only shows where I just don't care when they contrive to bring in a non-agent and have him do all the agent stuff.  I guess the old guy is a former agent, and the guy who taught Gibbs everything he knows, but, still... In a poorly written show, his appearance would be groan-worthy.  Here it's just fine.  There's no suspension of disbelief.  He's an old salt, it's always a wildly extreme situation, and they do give him limitations (like when he had to go to ground leading up to the bar shootout a few episodes back).

And Abby's cellphone is as cute as she is.

Love the West Coast sunglasses thing.  Entire scenes done where the characters are behind sunglasses.  You feel the sun, the warmth, the desert just from that little thing... And it's a different level of acting required when you can't use your eyes.  We didn't see Ziva without sunglasses until 40 minutes in.

Lauren Holly's death was expertly handled, too.  Far better than the somewhat WTF death of Sasha Alexander.  Ducky's one word to McGee and Abby:  "Jenny."  Wonderful.

I am deeply concerned that they're going to break up the team, though.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 11:50:36 AM »
I'd be very suprised if they broke up the team.  Remember they did this a few season or two ago with Gibbs.  And he came back.  I think we will get a few episodes of them at their different stations and then everybody back.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 12:22:13 PM »
They all are coming back, right?  There's not some sort of cast change going on, is there?  I want all Cote de Pablo all the time.