Author Topic: For RC  (Read 1286 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
For RC
« on: April 27, 2008, 04:28:35 PM »
Because RC is always bucking against the system, I'm particularly inspired today by Ned Beatty's speech in Network:

hl=en

Beale, who has become something of a Stranger in a Strange Land character, delivering his "mad as hell" message and telling the truth to great, galvanizing effect, is exploited by the Network.  He's given his own "angry prophet" show where he rants and raves about everything that's wrong in America.  Finally, he crushes a deal where Saudi oil barons are trying to buy the Network (a thinly disguised NBC) out. 

Beatty, the CEO of the corporation that owns the Network, who stood to become the world's wealthiest man with the Saudi buyout, calls Beale to his HQ. 

The speech is a double whammy.  It powerfully lays bare what America had become in the 70's (and, as is the case for the entire movie, predicted America in 2008).  But it is also the other side of the "voice of god" which, in act one, initially sent Beale over the edge and convinced him to go nuts on the air, starting the whole ball in motion.

It's this speech that makes Network

In the first half hour, Beale's one-sided conversation with God is portrayed as a man in the midst of a psychotic episode.  Here, starting off the final act, Beatty fills in God's side of that dialogue.

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
Re: For RC
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 04:38:13 PM »
Yet in 2008, anxieties are on the rise, as the atomic particles have increasingly tried to alter the rules of the universe.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »
The game is still the same.  Those atomic particles have won (or near enough).  Eight years of Gitmo and Blackwater and the most we can do is bitch about it online and quietly, behind doors.

Here's the buildup monologue:

After the president of the network dies.

"You're beginning to believe the illusions."

Beginning, then, and now we all do believe them.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 05:22:13 PM »
I'm strangely touched that the Beatty speech made you think of me.