Author Topic: Caprica  (Read 11675 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Caprica
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 11:05:44 AM »
Well, sci-fi did announce a couple months ago that they ordered half a season of scripts.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 01:43:31 PM »
So catching up today...all the first reactions to the clips they showed at the con.  It sounds good... and the darkness of the story is pretty clear with Eick comparing the Capricans to pre-war Nazis.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »
Commercial for Caprica. You have to watch an ad first.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=14&id=57977

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2008, 07:19:52 AM »
Here's more on this shit.

Sci Fi Channel has greenlit "Caprica," the much-anticipated prequel to hit series "Battlestar Galactica."

"Caprica" will star Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales, Paula Malcomson and Polly Walker, and will be set 50 years prior to "Galactica's" seminal attack on human civilization by those dreaded 'droids the Cylons. Family-drama-themed series will focus on the Earthlike planet of Caprica as two rival families deal with, among other topical issues, the broader implications of their society's emerging artificial intelligence technology sector.

Produced by Universal Cable Prods., "Caprica" will be exec produced by "Galactica" masterminds Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, along with Remi Aubuchon ("24"). The pilot was co-written by Aubuchon and Moore and directed by Jeffrey Reiner ("Friday Night Lights.")

Having already produced a two-hour backdoor pilot, Sci Fi is aiming for an early 2010 bow for the series, with production starting around the middle of next year, probably in Vancouver, where both "Galactica" and the spinoff's pilot were shot.

" 'Battlestar Galactica' was absolutely our flagship show. It put us on the map and helped transform the perception of the network," said Sci Fi prexy Dave Howe, noting that the cabler hopes to draw a broader audience to a series it sees as more compelling family drama than "space opera."

"We want people to come to this who have never heard of 'Battlestar Galactica,' " he added. "I think, because ('Galactica's') backdrop was space and spaceships, there was a barrier to entry for some viewers. 'Caprica' has none of that. It's an intense family drama set on an Earthlike planet, in the near future, speaking to a lot of the ethical dilemmas that we as a human race are going to have to face very shortly."

"Galactica" has had its fourth and final season in the can for several months, with the final 10 episodes culminating their run March 20. A two-hour movie adaptation, "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan," is slated for early summer.

Mark Stern, original programming topper for Sci Fi and Universal Cable Prods., says waiting until 2010 to bow the prequel will give the producers time to regroup the core of "Galactica's" writing staff, which has largely scattered to other shows.

"One of the other things we have going for is, this is one of the first shows we've done in conjunction with our new cable studio," Stern added. "There will be a lot of coordination between the studio and the network, not just on production, but how the series is launched, as well."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2009, 11:22:05 AM »
http://www.hulu.com/watch/50823/sci-fi-wire-caprica---sneak-peek

A clip from the Caprica pilot...looks dreadful.  I see where they're going, though.  Adama (in the OG BG) said in the first episode that Humanity deserved to be wiped out because of the greed and decadence and so on.  What he saw as a dying culture.

So this is set in the "V-Club" holodeck thing as Graystone is shown around the company.  Yawn.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2009, 09:30:39 AM »
Well, at least the music will be good...

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1089

I spent the morning at the Warner Bros. Eastwood Scoring Stage recording my orchestral score for Caprica, the highly anticipated prequel to Battlestar Galactica.  I recently composed over an hour of music for the pilot movie and will stay on to complete the rest of the 20-episode first season, airing in 2010.

The score, like the tone of new series, is quite different from Galactica.  I am introducing a new ensemble, soloists and distinct musical themes, expanding the sonic boundaries of the Battlestar universe, while still keeping the soul of the score connected to my previous work.  And don’t worry… Chris Bleth, MB Gordy, Paul Cartwright and the other unique musicians who play on Galactica are on board as well.

More details will sneak onto the blog in the coming months, and I will certainly write an entry about the new themes of Caprica once you’ve all had a chance to hear them.  Since we recorded today and Galactica comes back on the air tomorrow… I thought all you BG fans would like to know. 

So Say We All!

-Bear

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 04:34:06 PM »
Huh?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Caprica-Pilot-Telefilm-Release-Date/11259

We've gotten alerts from a few of our retailer contacts that Universal Studios Home Entertainment has posted a listing where retailers can access it, saying that Caprica is scheduled to come to DVD on April 21st. The listing is sparse on details, not giving a running time or even explicately explaining if this is the pilot telefilm (although it certainly must be, since nothing else has been shot yet). However, the studio listing does mention anamorphic widescreen video, an English soundtrack (audio format isn't provided so far) and English subtitles. It also shows that this will be a single disc, coming in a standard DVD case "with slip sleeve," costing $26.98 SRP. While it describes that package, it doesn't give a picture of the box yet, so we don't have any artwork to show you at this time.

With an April 21st release date for the DVD (sorry, no mention of a Blu-ray...we checked), it seems to mean that the Sci Fi Channel will likely broadcast the Caprica pilot at or before that timeframe. But nothing's been announced in that regard so far, so perhaps this is a hint of things to come. Or, maybe the release date isn't set in stone yet, and it wasn't actually meant to be revealed to retailers this morning (it wouldn't be the first time a DVD listing went up early). We're going with it, though, until and unless someone tells us otherwise! Stay tuned and we'll naturally keep you posted as more information comes in.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »
Yep, official.  Here's the press release:

(First time Sci-Fi has shot a series in the head months before the scheduled air date.)

The Highly Anticipated Feature-Length Prequel to the Series Phenomenon, 'Battlestar Galactica' Premiering Exclusively on DVD and Digital Download

FROM THE EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS OF SCI FI CHANNEL'S 'BATTLESTAR GALACTICA' RONALD D. MOORE AND DAVID EICK AND UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Caprica, the highly anticipated prequel to "Battlestar Galactica," will enjoy its world premiere exclusively on DVD on April 21, 2009 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. In a groundbreaking move sure to delight fans of the long-running television phenomenon, the feature-length prequel will be available on DVD as a limited-edition uncut and unrated version before the series' broadcast premiere on the SCI FI Channel in 2010. Caprica is executive produced by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick ("Battlestar Galactica") and Remi Aubuchon ("24"). Exclusive bonus features that take viewers behind the scenes of the creation of Caprica make this DVD a landmark event for any fan of "Battlestar Galactica." The film will also be available at selected online destinations for digital download transactions.

As "Battlestar Galactica" wraps its gripping final season on SCI FI on March 20, 2009, Caprica begins a brand new epic saga that continues the franchise's commitment to thought-provoking storytelling and extraordinary characters. Set over 50 years before the events of "Battlestar Galactica," Caprica is a world at the peak of its power, grappling with new science and technologies and the issues they create. The series will star Golden Globe nominee Eric Stoltz (Mask, Pulp Fiction), Esai Morales ("Jericho," "NYPD Blue"), Paula Malcomson ("Deadwood" "ER") and Golden Globe nominee Polly Walker ("Cane," "Rome") in a story laced with passion, intrigue and family conflict.

"We are thrilled to take the groundbreaking step of offering the world-premiere of the Caprica feature-length extended pilot episode on DVD prior to the new series' television debut," said Hilary Hoffman, Senior Vice President, Brand and Digital Marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment. "This innovative distribution model will serve to satisfy 'Battlestar Galactica' fans' appetites for a new content while building excitement for the franchise's next great adventure."

"Ever since fans first caught wind of the 'Battlestar Galactica' prequel Caprica, they have been eagerly following its development," said Mark Stern, Executive Vice President, Original Programming for SCI FI & Co-Head Original Content, Universal Cable Productions. "We wanted to give them a chance to see the pilot in its original form and experience the prequel to the BSG story while that series' finale was still ringing in their ears. It also affords the creative team an unprecedented chance to get viewers feedback before production on the Caprica series begins this summer."

"If 'Battlestar Galactica' offered us a way to shatter the conventions of space opera, Caprica will be a show which will challenge the conventions of science fiction storytelling as a whole," said Ronald D. Moore, Executive Producer/Writer.

"Part sweeping soap, part meditation on the dangerous moral ramifications of artificial intelligence, this is a truly unique opportunity to continue telling stories which will be as daring and shocking as the best of 'Galactica' -- and yet will be altogether different from 'Galactica,'" said David Eick, Executive Producer.

Universal Cable Productions will begin production on the "Caprica" series in the summer of 2009 in Vancouver for a 2010 television premiere on the SCI FI Channel. The DVD of Caprica is priced at $26.98 S.R.P. Preorder close is March 3, 2009.

BONUS FEATURES:

* Feature Commentary with Director Jeffrey Reiner and Executive Producer/Writer Ronald D. Moore and Executive Producer David Eick
    * Deleted Scenes
    * Video Blogs
          o What the Frak is Caprica?
          o The Director's Process
          o The V Club
          o The Birth of a Cylon

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2009, 06:48:27 PM »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
Every time I see this thread bumped, my heart sinks.

I'm going to go into this simply for Polly Walker, to be honest.  Not even the aura of BSG is saving this for me... But Polly deserves the effort to watch.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2009, 07:04:28 PM »
The pics look like Law and Order: 2025.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2009, 08:09:22 PM »
I am comforted that, no matter how bad it is, it'll be dwarfed by the horror of the Glen Larson movie.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2009, 10:15:09 AM »
My god this is gonna suck...

Paula Malcomson, who will portray Amanda Graystone on SCI FI Channel's upcoming Battlestar Galactica prequel Caprica, told SCI FI Wire that Amanda is a "complicated woman." The Irish actress added that only the two-hour series pilot is complete so far and that production on subsequent episodes will begin in earnest in July.

SCI FI Wire spoke to Malcomson on Monday at SCI FI Channel's upfront presentation for advertisers and the media in New York. Caprica will premiere on SCI FI Channel in 2010, but the uncut and unrated pilot will be available on DVD (via Universal Home Entertainment) and as a digital download (via Universal Cable Productions) on April 21. Following are edited excerpts from our exclusive conversation. The finale episode of Battlestar Galactica airs Friday on SCI FI.

How would you set up the premise of Caprica?

Malcomson: Wow. It's a complicated show. It's hard to describe in a couple of sentences. It's about a couple of families that are in the wake of a tragedy and are sort of dealing with their lives. A lot of the technology, the sci-fi stuff comes in, and it's [about] how that can be a good or a bad thing.

What can you tell us about your character, Amanda?

Malcomson: Amanda! We'll have to find out. I'm just finding out, you know? In the first two hours ... I don't want to say too much. I don't want to give too much away about her, but she's a complicated woman. Most of my stuff [in the pilot] is with Eric Stoltz, who plays my husband [Daniel Graystone, creator of the Cylons]. He's great, and we'd worked together before, luckily [in the 1997 short film The Rocking Horse Winner]. So we knew each other, and playing husband and wife, I think that really helps.

Battlestar Galactica ran for four years, and SCI FI Channel is obviously hoping for similar success with Caprica. How ready are you for a long run like that?

Malcomson: I'm ready for a long run. That's the fun of doing television, I think, is that you get to play a character for a long time, and you get to explore a journey. The last thing I did, I started to wonder who I was versus the character. You really get to discover it in that time, in years, versus doing a movie that you're in and out of in three or four months.

What's the timeline here? What have you shot so far and when do you go back for more filming on Caprica?

Malcomson: We've only done the pilot, which is two hours long, and we shot that in May/June last year. So it's big, big gaps in between. The writers are writing right now, and I guess we're going to do 18 [more] episodes. So we go in July until however long that is, I suppose until February. We'll be cracking away at that. So I'm excited to get in there and see what they're doing. We don't know.

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 02:23:56 PM »
I saw a clip of Bear playing the theme song. Even the theme song sounds mediocre.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2009, 04:13:46 PM »
Man, I am unmotivated to see this...