Author Topic: Caprica  (Read 11221 times)

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
Re: Caprica
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »
Which you read enough to parody?

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 06:15:13 PM »
I used to read it a couple years ago.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 09:02:58 AM »
Eric Stoltz, the Jesusy-looking drug dealer from “Pulp Fiction” who almost starred as Marty McFly in “Back To The Future,” will play Daniel Greystone – the genius who creates the Cylon race in “Caprica.”

The TV-movie pilot prequel to “Battlestar Galactica” has also cast Alessandra Toressani (“Malcolm in the Middle”) as both Greystone’s 16-year-old daughter and the First Cylon.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 09:07:18 AM »
First Cylon? Goddammit.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 09:57:48 AM »
So how is Caprica going to explain that human-model Cylons didn't exist, and were totally unheard of, until 50 years later?  Or are we going to get a Transformers-style she-bot version of the OG Cylons?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 07:42:38 AM »
Polly Walker joins the cast!

On the "Galactica" prequel "Caprica," Walker ("Rome") will play Sister Clarice Willow, the gracious, eloquent and duplicitous high priestess and headmistress of the Athena Academy, a private religious school.

I'm suddenly sold, because I can watch Polly Walker do anything.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 12:16:26 PM »
I was thinking of Molly Walker for a minute.

myself: "No, no, Heroes is dead...settle down."
myself: "Ah yes, thanks."

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
Sister Clarice Willow, the gracious, eloquent and duplicitous high priestess and headmistress of the Athena Academy, a private religious school.

Sounds like Women's Studies II.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 04:18:11 PM »
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/05/caprica-details.html

Two year old news!

Here's more proof that Caprica, the Battlestar Galactica spinoff that's currently in the works, will fly through the same dark territories that give the current show its edge.

Drawing details from a two-year-old Caprica script, E Online says the BSG prequel that reaches back several decades prior to the Cylons' sneak nuke attack on the Twelve Colonies will tackle "all your major Frontline feature-story topics ... racism, terrorism, industrial espionage, black-ops government agencies, religious fundamentalists, the perpetual panic about teen sex and, last but not least, that pesky, troublesome internet."

Frankly, we'd expect nothing less from Battlestar producer Ron Moore, who told Wired he had basically given up on Caprica prior to the pilot's resurrection during the dark days of the Hollywood writers' strike.

We're all for more Galactica-style grit. Plus, who doesn't want to know how the Cylons came into being? We'll be watching when the pilot airs later this year (The Internet Movie Database gives Caprica a December 2008 release date).

Get the rest of the story on the aged Caprica script:

"Caprica Pilot Script Read-Through: T-Minus 51 Years to Colonial Kablooey": E Online

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 05:41:26 PM »
After all this build up, how can Caprica be anything but a disappointment?

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 06:35:29 PM »
Some of us said it was a disappointment before anything was built up.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
Sci-Fi says big Caprica news coming on July 20th.

They've ordered a half season of scripts, so it's probably just that.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2008, 01:35:18 AM »
Remember, Comic Con is this week. It's where all the big genre projects come out to play.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2008, 01:05:13 PM »
Kill Caprica.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2008, 12:40:47 AM »
I don't know if this is the big news, but it convinces me that Sci-Fi is run by bipolar insecure orangutans.

Sci Fi's 'Caprica' might go straight to series
TCA -- By James Hibberd and Barry Garron

Sci Fi Channel's "Battlestar Galactica" prequel "Caprica" might not air as a backdoor pilot after all.

It might go straight to series.

“We’re not sure if it’s going to air as a backdoor pilot,” says Sci Fi Channel's executive vp of programming Mark Stern at the Television Critics Association press tour. “We’re going to take a look at it and maybe just order it as a series from there. We are going to take delivery on it in a couple of weeks and then decide whether to air it as a standalone movie or as the premiere of a new series.”

Sci Fi had a panel for "Caprica" during the network's TCA session, where showrunner Ron Moore and cast members took the stage to answer questions from critics. The project has long been called a two-hour backdoor pilot, and is supposed to air sometime this fall. An upgrade to a series order would likely change push its air date until sometime next year, a Sci Fi spokesperson says. Certainly the very act of paneling a mere pilot at the critics tour suggests network enthusiasm for the project.

Moore says that it won’t matter that already know how the prequel story ends. In fact, he's counting on that to add suspense.

“The tension comes from the fact that you do know where it’s going,” he says. “All of this -- this world you’re about to visit -- is doomed, in some shape or form.You know how WWII turns out. You know the Nazis are going to lose. But that doesn’t mean you can’t tell compelling stories."

Moore declined to say how long before the Cylon war that “Caprica” takes place, but did note that the 12 colonies are not entirely peacefully co-existing. Also, there will be no flash-forwards to the current series (“intercutting the two would feel very oil and water,” he says).

“'Caprica' is a different animal,” he says. “It’s about a vibrant society that is at the height of its power and the height of its decadence. It’s going to come apart. It’s sort of like a roller coaster.”

The action will be firmly grounded on the planet of Caprica rather than lots of space-based jumping around between different locations. Executive producer David Eick said technological emphasis in the new show will be on artificial intelligence instead of space travel.

“That’s what’s new on this show, rather than space travel, which we take as an existing technology," Eick says.

More to come from the panel...