Author Topic: Caprica  (Read 11226 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Caprica
« on: March 20, 2008, 07:52:04 AM »
So we'll spin off its own thread, because the BSG fourth season thread is going to start going crazy with me talking to myself in a couple of weeks.

Sci-Fi greenlights Caprica, because canceling BSG wasn't enough!

Sci Fi Wire posted new interviews with Battlestar Galactica producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick in which they talk  a bit more about the prequel series Caprica. Production will begin this spring on a two-hour backdoor pilot. Here are few excerpts.

Set 50 years before Battlestar Galactica, Caprica follows two rival families -- the Greystones and the Adamas -- as they grow, compete, and thrive in the vibrant world of the 12 Colonies. Enmeshed in the burgeoning technology of artificial intelligence and robotics that will eventually lead to the creation of the Cylons, the two houses go toe-to-toe.

"Caprica is a story that Ron Moore and I concocted with [co-executive producer] Remi Aubuchon, and we're casting as we speak," Eick said in an interview at SCI FI Channel's upfront presentation to advertisers in New York on March 18. "I'm very excited about that. If Battlestar Galactica is Black Hawk Down, I would say that Caprica is American Beauty. Caprica is all about the inner lives of the people on a planet and how their personal relationships as well as their professional relationships inform what will become the creation of the Cylons."

Moore, a former Star Trek writer and producer, said that Caprica is not a show along the lines of any Trek spinoff series. "It's a different animal altogether," he said in a separate interview. "Unlike those shows, which are all riffs on the same notion of what Star Trek was, Caprica is really a completely different kind of genre. We're trying to do something different."

"I'm thrilled with the chance to expand on the Galactica world and get deeper into the origins of the story we've been telling," Moore said. "It's also great to have a chance at doing a completely different kind of science fiction series, one that's even more character-oriented and doesn't rely on pyrotechnics to carry the story."

Eick said: "While Caprica will have its own personality, it will carry on Battlestar's commitment to pushing the boundaries of the genre, and we're thrilled that SCI FI has seen fit to giving us another opportunity to tell character-driven stories in challenging ways."

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
Re: Caprica
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 05:22:18 PM »
If RDM and Eick helm it, I'll be fine with it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:46:28 PM »
So watching Razor again, I'm looking forward to Caprica.  It's set only nine years before the end of the First Cylon War, so there's hope for action fairly quickly.  Adama's an asshole pilot wannabe, there's some deep mystery about the Cylons, and they're tearing the Colonies to shreds...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 09:49:12 PM »
Also, I look forward to Caprica just so we can have an orgy of OG Cylons in full 2008 CGI freakout as opposed to fat men in monster suits.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:02:07 PM »
Wouldn't this be the build-up to the freak-out? In which case the Cylons would eventually create these models or modify themselves. I think modification is more likely.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 07:45:12 AM »
Yeah, it's supposed to be all build-up.  BSG does I, Robot!

Looking at little things in Adama's Razor flashbacks, like his reaction to the Cylon "blood," certainly says that the Cylons modified themselves.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:42:52 AM »
Quote from: Aint It Cool
Hollywood’s casting community is trying to find a guy to play Lee Adama’s lawyering grandpappy for “Caprica,” the pilot/TV-movie set half a century before Boomer discovered she was a Cylon.

Why are the Cylons so hot for a single god? A glimpse at the characters inhabiting “Caprica” may provide clues:

* DANIEL GRAYSTONE is literally the father of the Cylons, a fortysomething “spectacularly wealthy” computer designer.

* ZOE GRAYSTONE, Daniel’s hot 16-year-old daughter, dies in a suicide bombing. Daniel learns that Zoe – like iconic “Twin Peaks” dead teenager Laura Palmer – had many secrets. For one thing she was a closeted monotheist! For another, she was even more of a technological genius than daddy Daniel, and succeeded in secretly uploading her personality and DNA into a holographic avatar. Daniel comes to combine the Zoe avatar with stolen technology to create the first Cylon, “a robotic version of his dead daughter.” Oo!

* JOSEPH ADAMS, Bill Adama’s pop and Romo Lampkin’s future mentor, is a fortysomething Tauron native who long ago emigrated to Caprica and overcame anti-Tauron prejudice to become an influential defense attorney on the capital planet. Joseph’s wife and daughter (Bill’s mother and sister) die in the same blast that killed Zoe Graystone. Joseph Adams and Daniel Graystone, despite their very different backgrounds, are bonded by the tragedy. Adams, who still has “powerful ties to the Tauron crime underworld” helps Greystone create the first Cylon by stealing cutting-edge robotic technology from a Tauron computer developer.

* TAMARA ADAMS, Joseph’s dead daughter, may also be resurrected as a robot, but Joseph – much like the dad in Stephen King’s “Pet Sematary” – comes to regret his role in the Cylonic creations.

* AMANDA GRAYSTONE, Daniel’s thirtysomething wife, is a successful surgeon devastated by the loss of her beloved daughter Zoe.

* TOMAS VERGIS is Amanda Graystone’s Tauron ex-lover and one of her husband’s chief competitors. Following Zoe’s death, Amanda covertly returns to Vergis’ bed to learn more of the tech that might be used to resurrect her daughter.

* SISTER CLARICE WILLOW is another closeted monotheist and the headmistress of the Athena Academy, the polytheistic religious school Zoe attended. A product of colonial slums, the sister is presumably responsible for converting young Zoe into a monotheist.

* BEN STARK is Zoe’s unbalanced monotheist-fanatic boyfriend, the suicide bomber who kills, among many others, Zoe, Tamara, Bill Adama’s mom and himself in a horrific train bombing. He too secretly uploaded himself into a holographic avatar. But his can only be contacted by headmistress Willow.

* WILLIAM ADAMS, a dour 9-year-old introvert unaware of his Tauron heritage, is Joseph Adams’ sole surviving child. Like John Connor, he will prove humanity’s savior in a universe ruled by murderous robots.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 01:15:32 AM »
Please tell me that's fake.

That fucking sucks.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 01:40:15 AM »
Re-reading that, I'm really hoping that comes from an early draft of the treatment and not the final version. I also love the fucking pedophilic nature of AICN that grew to be okay ever since Knowles started obsessing over Hayden Panettiere. Creepy fucks.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 07:20:48 AM »
Wow, that's intensely stupid. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »
So the more I read about Caprica's plotline, the more I want to burn things.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 11:49:49 AM »
Yeah, I think we can write this off as Wizard of Earthsea-quality Sci-Fi Channel TV show writing.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »
Oh, god.  That's even worse.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 12:16:50 PM »
Better get ready to flush a couple times 'cause this is gonna be a ton of shit.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »
What's the thinking behind that storyline?  Did Moore sell the franchise or something? 

Why do anything else BSG related, anyway?  Let's remake some other shitty 70's Sci-Fi!  A new Planet of the Apes series would be fun.  And do it like the book (and cartoon) -- the Apes are more advanced than the humans.  And there's always Lost in Space.  And a new Space: 1999.  Hell, I'd enjoy a Moore helmed Land of the Giants.