Author Topic: What You're Reading  (Read 164214 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RottingCorpse

  • Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • ***
  • Posts: 23496
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
What You're Reading
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:57:02 PM »
Tyson suggested a "What are you reading" megathread some time ago.  It hit me last night that RC had one about a month ago and, well, here it is.  So all of your book reviews/communal orgasms can go right here!
--nacho




I'm about halfway through A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. The guy wakes up on a plane with no teeth, a fucked up face, and no idea where he's going or how he got there. Turns out he's been an alcoholic and addicted to crack snce he was ten. He parents put him in a detox clinic and he starts trying to figure out a way to stay sober without giving in to a "higher power."

The prose style is somthing else. No quotation marks and at times, repetitive phrases that feels poetic. It really draws you into his stream of conscioiusness.

Offline Matt

  • working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • ***
  • Posts: 7670
  • tourist
What You're Reading
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 12:45:12 AM »
I'm in the middle of a big-ass Paris Review collection they put out in 2003 to celebrate their fiftieth anniversary. Some gems. Some clunkers. Mostly good though.

I'm in the middle of The New New Journalism, by Robert S. Boynton. Collection of interviews with a number of nonfiction/literary journalism authors. Really good stuff. I've been eying one of the authors, Jon Krakauer, for his book Into the Wild for a while now. This gives me a good link to read some other good nonfiction as well. I keep trying to read Wolfe and I'm not impressed. He's seems scattered and unfocused. I was thinking about it while I was walking to work, what kind of books I liked, and I think I prefer subtlety, as a rule, to loud, bang, in your face kind of writing. But I also like energetic subtlety. I want to dig for meaning.

I started The Proud Highway. I started Where I'm Calling From by Raymond Carver. I just picked up the Associated Press Stylebook. I figure if I spend the money while I have it, now, and I'm not a starving college student, I'll be better off. I also picked up Travels with Charley, because I like it and wanted a copy to carry around with me.

And if none of you have checked out the Best American Nonrequired Reading series, you have to. They're fucking fantastic.

yotoc

  • Guest
What You're Reading
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 12:57:06 AM »
Quote from: Matt
I'm in the middle of a big-ass Paris Review collection they put out in 2003 to celebrate their fiftieth anniversary. Some gems. Some clunkers. Mostly good though.

I'm in the middle of The New New Journalism, by Robert S. Boynton. Collection of interviews with a number of nonfiction/literary journalism authors. Really good stuff. I've been eying one of the authors, Jon Krakauer, for his book Into the Wild for a while now. This gives me a good link to read some other good nonfiction as well. I keep trying to read Wolfe and I'm not impressed. He's seems scattered and unfocused. I was thinking about it while I was walking to work, what kind of books I liked, and I think I prefer subtlety, as a rule, to loud, bang, in your face kind of writing. But I also like energetic subtlety. I want to dig for meaning.

I started The Proud Highway. I started Where I'm Calling From by Raymond Carver. I just picked up the Associated Press Stylebook. I figure if I spend the money while I have it, now, and I'm not a starving college student, I'll be better off. I also picked up Travels with Charley, because I like it and wanted a copy to carry around with me.

And if none of you have checked out the Best American Nonrequired Reading series, you have to. They're fucking fantastic.


I'm reading everything here.  I should be done by next weekend.

Tyson

  • Guest
What You're Reading
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 01:00:45 AM »
A Million Little Pieces! Oh god! Awesome book. I read it the minute I saw it. Did you get to the oral surgery part? That's some of the most intense descriptions of pain I've ever seen in my life. Everyone go out and read it. Now. Tonight.

Offline RottingCorpse

  • Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • ***
  • Posts: 23496
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
What You're Reading
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 01:09:41 AM »
I'm a bit over halfway through, but yeah, the oral surgery scene was brutal.

Offline nacho

  • Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
  • *****
  • Posts: I am a geek!!
    • GS
What You're Reading
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 08:53:06 AM »
I don't have time to read because I'm either watching Blake's 7 or scaring women to death!









Offline jreale

  • Minty fresh
  • **
  • Posts: 911
What You're Reading
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 12:07:14 PM »
Quote from: Matt
And if none of you have checked out the Best American Nonrequired Reading series, you have to. They're fucking fantastic.


I'm reading this now, along with Foer's new thing, Extremely Loud and INcredibly Close. Both are excellent.
Insert witty phrase, inspirational quote, or self-promotional blurb here.

Tyson

  • Guest
What You're Reading
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 12:16:53 PM »
Quote from: jreale
Quote from: Matt
And if none of you have checked out the Best American Nonrequired Reading series, you have to. They're fucking fantastic.


I'm reading this now, along with Foer's new thing, Extremely Loud and INcredibly Close. Both are excellent.


Odd. I'm reading the Nonrequired 2004 and "Everything is Illuminated".

Jody, it's like we're connected. Let me send you a picture of my immense...










book collection.

Offline jreale

  • Minty fresh
  • **
  • Posts: 911
What You're Reading
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 12:19:38 PM »
Quote from: Tyson
Odd. I'm reading the Nonrequired 2004 and "Everything is Illuminated".

Jody, it's like we're connected. Let me send you a picture of my immense...



book collection.


I'm sure they're all hardbacks, too, right?
Insert witty phrase, inspirational quote, or self-promotional blurb here.

Tyson

  • Guest
What You're Reading
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 12:29:48 PM »
Actually I can't stand hardbacks. I own... Not a single hardback. None. Wait... Bill Clinton's masterpiece. Yeah, that's it.

Softcover books are bliss. Hardcover books are like reading a stack of bricks.

Offline zerda

  • Minty fresh
  • **
  • Posts: 254
books
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 02:11:03 PM »
I just reread Gordon by Edith Templeton.  That fucking book makes me climb the walls like a cat in heat.
I also started on the collected works of Seamus Heaney in preparation for my journey to Ireland.  That guy can make a girl identify with the very loam beneath her feet.  Every image is fertile.  The Bone Dreams poem made me cry last night.  
I am still reccommending The Effect of Living Backwards by Heidi Julavits to anyone who will listen.  This book wraps around like a mobius strip.  Read it twice!
"Well, I think that Iím bigger than the sound."

Tyson

  • Guest
Re: books
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 02:12:38 PM »
Quote from: zerda
... in preparation for my journey to Ireland...


Don't let Monkey see that if you value your body...

Offline zerda

  • Minty fresh
  • **
  • Posts: 254
monkey
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 02:16:43 PM »
Monkey can have my sister.  She is stuck over there for two more years, whereas I will only be visiting.  Har-har.
"Well, I think that Iím bigger than the sound."

Tyson

  • Guest
Re: monkey
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 02:17:27 PM »
Quote from: zerda
Monkey can have my sister.  She is stuck over there for two more years, whereas I will only be visiting.  Har-har.


Oh god. Two.

Kiss your sister goodbye. "I hardly knew ye," and all that.

Offline nacho

  • Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
  • *****
  • Posts: I am a geek!!
    • GS
What You're Reading
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 02:21:59 PM »
Zerda's going to the rebel south.  Darkest Mexico.  You couldn't pay Monkey to cross the border unless he was tossing Union Jack painted bombs.  RED HAND!