Author Topic: 2008 Hurrican't Season: Nobody cares, but it's kind of a tradition  (Read 18140 times)

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
Re: 2008 Hurrican't Season: Nobody cares, but it's kind of a tradition
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2008, 12:26:25 PM »
What the fuck is up with CNN?

yIKEs, it's coming!

That's their front page headline. Front. Page.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2008, 12:30:35 PM »
Holy fuck... That one's worth preserving.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2008, 12:39:11 PM »
Fuck that storm is HUGE
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »
What are their TV broadcasts like?

Up next, 100s dead in earthquake! *honk fart burp bbrrrraaappppp*

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2008, 12:41:32 PM »
In between ads for Cockpuncher!

(I can't see this at work)
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/06/08/votd-steven-seagals-cockpuncher-movie-trailer/

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2008, 01:44:40 PM »
A little better...

Texans wait for Ike's 22-foot wall of fury

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2008, 01:49:20 PM »
We're not the only ones slamming CNN's idiot headlines:

http://blog.rifftrax.com/2008/09/12/hurricane-yikes/

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2008, 02:01:01 PM »
They've gone passive and vague.

Thick, muddy waves nearly overtaking Texas pier

La. Gov. Jindal has updates on what Ike is doing to his state

Offline saintangelsin

• Minty fresh
    • I've been on myspace for way too long
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2008, 02:19:39 PM »
One thing I've always heard broadcast  journalism students at my school complain about is writing. I find it pretty sad that they don't realize that you need good writing skills to do television news. Sure for print journalists, writing skills is all we have. Without them, you're totally screwed. But whoever thought being on  major news networks meant no writing skills are needed should be punched in the guts or something.

I've watched CNN at times and have seen so many typos and spelling errors scroll across the bottom of the screen. MSNBC has had quite a few recently too. While I don't want Fox, I should make myself watch them for a few hours to see if they have better grammar and spelling skills. I highly doubt it, but it would be funny to find out.

As for the tasteless and pun driven headline that CNN posted, it really doesn't surprise me. I'll be honest, headline writing is difficult and there is an art to it. But knowing CNN, they either had some intern attempt their skills at headlining or someone with a bad sense of humor wrote the headline. (Most times news writers don't do their own headlines, even if they created one.  Editors will change them or have a headline writer do it.)

On the same topic of gripping about this awful headline, there's such a competition these days to be clever with the news that good reporting and writing gets ignored often. In reality, the reason anything that you've read or seen might come across as really good and clever is because it was unintentional. It's something that will just naturally come through the article if the story's subject permits it.

ps- I think I'm going to try to email a copy of that graphic/headline to Howard Kurtz at the Washington Post. He's got to say something about this in his media column.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2008, 02:20:45 PM »
they're going overboard here now.  schools are closing early.  but the tropical winds started late last night...why let them go to school in the first place if you were thinking about shutting down? 
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2008, 02:25:31 PM »
One thing I've always heard broadcast  journalism students at my school complain about is writing. I find it pretty sad that they don't realize that you need good writing skills to do television news. Sure for print journalists, writing skills is all we have. Without them, you're totally screwed. But whoever thought being on  major news networks meant no writing skills are needed should be punched in the guts or something.

I would argue that most of print journalism sucks, as well.  I need a red pen to read the Washington Post, and few other newspapers are better.

I've watched CNN at times and have seen so many typos and spelling errors scroll across the bottom of the screen. MSNBC has had quite a few recently too. While I don't want Fox, I should make myself watch them for a few hours to see if they have better grammar and spelling skills. I highly doubt it, but it would be funny to find out.

Lots of the scroll stuff is done with computers snatching feeds from the wires.  It was part of my job, once upon a time, to dump all that shit into the hopper for the super computers to chew up.

Offline saintangelsin

• Minty fresh
    • I've been on myspace for way too long
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2008, 02:34:38 PM »
Oh I'm not saying that print journalists are great. Believe me, I know the need for a red pen. I even struggle at times with editing my own  stuff. Once you read something over and over, little stupid mistakes become tricky to catch. What I was trying to say is that you think print is bad, broadcast are even worse and here's why (referring to my previous posting). At least print journalists know that good writing is something to aspire towards. With broadcast journalism students, it seems like they could barely give a shit about even aspiring towards mediocre writing.

As for the scroll stuff, I didn't realize it was computers snatching things from wires. (Did you work for the AP or something?) With wires, I think the downside to having "instant" information or news is that it's all about speed. A story written right off the bat is going to be awful looking or  have typos. I think that's why I like the idea of newspaper or magazine journalism a little better because at least you have more than 5 minutes to edit a story. But the upside of instant stuff is that online it can be corrected throughout the day and changed in real time. Where as in print, once you print a fuck up, well you have to issue a correction statement and sometimes an apology.

Crazy to think I want to do this stuff for a living.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »
Broadcast journalism is a terrifying wasteland of death and pain and torture and emptiness.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2008, 03:31:28 PM »
beach full of retards.
8=o tation