Author Topic: 2008 Hurrican't Season: Nobody cares, but it's kind of a tradition  (Read 18009 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: 2008 Hurrican't Season: Nobody cares, but it's kind of a tradition
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2008, 10:56:43 PM »
This is all knee-jerk, in my opinion, but shit has gone insane:

Mayor: 'Get out of New Orleans right now'

Everything moves to this thread here:

http://www.greatsociety.org/forums/index.php/topic,3747.0.html

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2008, 01:17:06 PM »
Okay, that's Gustav done.  Hanna is just acting like a drunk.  Four potential problems headed our way right now (one just became TD #9). 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2008, 03:00:25 PM »
Hanna's a hurricane again!  Just a Cat 1, but she's gonna fuck with the Bahamas.  But the Brits foolishly held on to the Bahamas instead of selling them to us, so who cares?  Because we're at war with them.

I mean!  Sorry!  I mean they're allies and we love them.  Goddamn city-burning invaders.

Then Hanna's going to go mess up Florida, which doesn't matter because the Spanish refused to sell it to us.

Right?

Then...up through GA, SC, NC, and, finally, ending in WVA, where Hanna'll cause more loss of life than in the Bahamas because every single town in WVA is on a flood plain and the dams are all 70 years old.  But, sshh, it's not a crisis till after it happens.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2008, 06:12:05 PM »
Ike's right behind Hanna as well... FUN!
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2008, 08:19:18 PM »
Yep.  And another behind Ike is about to form.  High probability.  And two others in front of Ike, actually, who could form into storms.

Offline saintangelsin

• Minty fresh
    • I've been on myspace for way too long
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2008, 11:03:11 PM »
Hanna's a hurricane again!  Just a Cat 1, but she's gonna fuck with the Bahamas.  But the Brits foolishly held on to the Bahamas instead of selling them to us, so who cares?  Because we're at war with them.

I mean!  Sorry!  I mean they're allies and we love them.  Goddamn city-burning invaders.

Then Hanna's going to go mess up Florida, which doesn't matter because the Spanish refused to sell it to us.

Right?

Then...up through GA, SC, NC, and, finally, ending in WVA, where Hanna'll cause more loss of life than in the Bahamas because every single town in WVA is on a flood plain and the dams are all 70 years old.  But, sshh, it's not a crisis till after it happens.

It's funny you mention West Virginia possibly getting shit on by a hurricane or tropical storm. (I really hope Hannah doesn't do that) All my years growing up, the one thing everyone in Western Maryland and in the nearby parts of WV have dreaded a lot with Hurricane season is that there would be a repeat of the Great Flood of 1985. I'm sure you've heard about this one or maybe remember it... Back in November of 85, a nasty nasty flood happened thanks to a dead hurricane system (Hurricane Juan). Though I don't remember it (because I was just an infant), my parents sure as hell do. Luckily, we weren't effected badly like many were. But god that flood just about damn near destroyed the entire Mountain state!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Juan_(1985)

http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Waters-Great-Virginia-Flood/dp/0929915240 (my parents have this book. There's this crazy photo of this cow stuck in the bottom of this bridge near Moorefield)

You can also find on youtube all sorts of video clips from the flood.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2008, 11:32:27 AM »
Just got this email from one of my old English professors.  He does a lot of charity work in Haiti and takes students on service trips there every year... one of his friends in Haiti sent this report.  It's pretty heart wrenching.

My internet is still working but I do not know for how long and How long the weither will hold it.
I has been raining over Haiti for the last 24 hours. Sometime like a shower with a good pressure sometime its stops for while to start again. In Port au Prince we had a brake around lunch but then the light became very strange and we had some wind. I was so scarry that people started to run in the meedle of the streetes and some drivers started to go in the wrong direction in one way streetes.
I was coming from the office where I had been doing some administrative work and the security came to tell us to move our cars from under the trees I decided to go home and as I was driving in the stress trying to avoid areas with trees. I strated to be scare of hiting pedestrians or being hit by other.. Finally between tree, electrical and phone wires and poles I made it to Hopital la Communaute to see two emergencies. As I was there one of the nurses got a call from a nurse IN Gonaive Crying because she was on a roof with her parents and water had reached them.It is terrible people are calling from all over the country about flood and house being carried away. We never expected that tropical strom to just stand just on the Island just a week after Gustave had spent 18 hours on us.
Hanna just stop, At five AM it was moving at 2 miles an hours and by 3 pm  it had stop.right on Tuck and Cacos Island . Those Islands are so close to the northwest that people go there on saleboat from Port-de-Paix.
The whole Island is under rain and the north has also the winds
It is flooded from Jeremie to Port-de Paix > I talked to Jacques this Morning around ten they were under heavyrain and wind.in Saint Louis du Nord He said all the Banana three were on the ground.
THis means that next month people will be more hungry. In Chansolme THe rivers flooded and carriied away houses. My secretary in the St Marc office call me an hour ago to tell me that his street was starting to be flooded. Rapport are coming in from all over' flood and still raining'.. The worse is in Gonaive were they already had three meters ( 10 feets) this lunch. People are on roof tops of two level houses.
PLEASE START PRAYING FOR US AND WITH US as soon as you get this. Start chains of prayers it is still raining on ue and IKe is not far behind . My heart is bleeding with every drop on rain. We never know in Haiti really how many pleople are taken by the water. And it happen anywhere because people lack of information. Last week the lady that sells artichock to my vegetable vendor was taken by water in the mountains by POrt-au-Prince by a flash flood going down the hill.
I am safe at Home listening to the rain in the dark. We have baterries, and generators, i am on top of a hill but if it keeps on raininng there will be mud slides with houses around the city.
For people that know the geographics
 - Cayes
- Gonaives
- The area around Jeremie
- Some parts of St Marc
- The airport in Port-de-Paix
- Jacmel was already flooded last week
- The road to the DR and some part on le cul de sac were already flooded since last week
This was from lunch knew
Pierre Payen on the way to St Marc from this morning
And it is still raining.
PLEASE PRAY
Brigitte
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »
Well, some good news.  Ike is planned to veer away from Haiti.  Cuba's going to get it head-on, though.

Then there's Josephine!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2008, 06:01:24 PM »
Hanna's going to be awesome, because I'm sick and I don't want to have to focus at work tomorrow.  9-5 wedding...but Hanna is moving in early AM and sticking throughout the day -- 2-3 inches of rain and winds gusting to 30mph.  I'm going to go to work an hour early, close up the house and tent, then lie down in an upstairs office while 120 people pack into the place and bitch and cry.

Offline saintangelsin

• Minty fresh
    • I've been on myspace for way too long
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2008, 07:40:52 PM »
Ike is now a cat 4 hurricane, and they're pretty sure he's going for the Gulf of Mexico. Sounds like this coming week is going to be major fun for everyone in the South.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2008, 07:54:47 PM »
Cass gets to drive all the way back to Atlanta again!

At least Josephine fizzled out.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2008, 11:31:12 AM »
Ah, good.  Cuba is going to change Ike's course.  It's going to go kill Texas now.  Which is fine.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »
Well, I just spent all day Saturday sitting in the middle of West Virginia as it got pounded by Hanna... fun.  We literally did nothing all day... stuffed inside the RV like a bunch of sardines.  I did read almost all of the Rolling Stones book Cass loaned me though.

So now Ike!  I guess they might be on their way back to ATL, eh?  We've got Rock Band all warmed up!
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »
Nah, Ike's veering towards Texas.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »
Yo Cass... if Ike takes a right hander and looks like it's going to hit NOLA, we just downloaded an assload of new music for Rock Band!  WOOOO!  BRING IT!
8=o tation