Author Topic: 2012 is Over, but the World is Still Ending  (Read 51254 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: 2012 is Over, but the World is Still Ending
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »
The world almost did end in 2012!

From Discover (bold mine):

On July 23, 2012, billions of tons of plasma exploded from the Sun and raced out into space in what was one of the most powerful solar storms ever recorded.

And it’s only by chance that Earth wasn’t in the way of this gargantuan coronal mass ejection, or CME.

“If it had hit, we would still be picking up the pieces,” Daniel Baker of the University of Colorado told NASA.

And that may be putting it mildly. A CME of the size that almost hit us in July of 2012 would probably knock out satellites we depend on for modern telecommunications and also cause global blackouts lasting for months.

Everything that plugs into a wall socket would be disabled. And as NASA puts it, “Most people wouldn’t even be able to flush their toilet because urban water supplies largely rely on electric pumps.”

For a good overview of the solar storm that almost caused this kind of mayhem in 2012, and how it compared to the notorious Carrington event of September, 1859 (which set telegraph lines on fire and caused auroral displays as far south as Cuba), check out the video above.

“I have come away from our recent studies more convinced than ever that Earth and its inhabitants were incredibly fortunate that the 2012 eruption happened when it did,” Baker says. “If the eruption had occurred only one week earlier, Earth would have been in the line of fire.”

The cloud of particles, rocketing outward at 3,000 kilometers per second — more than four times faster than a typical CME — hit NASA’s STEREO-A spacecraft. As a result of its design, and the fact that it travels in interplanetary space (a much safer place, it turns out, that inside Earth’s magnetosphere), the spacecraft survived and transmitted valuable data and imagery back to Earth.

The NASA video above includes some of that imagery. Other spacecraft also captured direct and indirect evidence of the event, and you can see some of that in the video too.

Earth stands about a 12 percent chance of actually being hit by material from a solar storm of this magnitude in the next decade, according to research by physicist Pete Riley published in the journal Space Weather. So it’s not a question of if we’ll be hit; it’s only a question of when. And unfortunately, the world is woefully unprepared to deal with the consequences.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »
The sun is a fag.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »
This Is The Video CNN Will Play When The World Ends

Thirty-four years ago, at the launch of Ted Turner's Cable News Network, the founder made a grandiose and specific promise about his newly created round-the-clock operation. "Barring satellite problems, we won't be signing off until the world ends," Turner declared. And in anticipation, he prepared a final video segment for the apocalypse.

Since those early years, CNN has grown into a ponderous object in the background, immovably entrenched on cable even as it has been tossed from corporate merger to corporate merger. Born as part of Ted Turner's Turner Broadcasting System, in 1996 it became a part of Time Warner. In 2000 America Online bought Time Warner for $164 billion, and in 2006 Ted Turner himself left the Time Warner board. In 2009, the biggest corporate mistake in history reached its inevitable conclusion, and AOL was spun off from the company it once attempted to dominate.

Through it all there have been monumental culture shifts and budget re-adjustments, ideas tried out and tossed aside. There are few vestiges left of its original promise.

But there is still the video, awaiting its deployment. I was an intern at CNN back in 2009. Specifically, I worked at the Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer. Wolf was a nice enough guy, as people from Buffalo tend to be, but that's not really so weird. What was weird was seeing the apocalypse video.

I was originally told about it by a college professor of mine, who had worked at CNN for over 20 years. It sounded mostly like a mythic joke, the kind of thing that Ted Turner, the all-around "eccentric billionaire" archetype, would mention offhand. Bison ranches, the America's Cup, four girlfriends at once, the last word on the last day on earth—why not?

Turner's boast about broadcasting through the end of the world is the kind of thing you hear, in one form or another, from every startup founder. My idea is the best, it will beat all the others, it is here to stay, forever and ever. No, we won't get bought by AOL. And Turner was known for being blustery.

So when Ted Turner said that CNN was going to be playing "Nearer My God To Thee"—the song the band supposedly played when the Titanic went down—as the heavens opened up, as the fiery finger of God rained salt and brimstone from the sky, as the Earth beneath our feet opened from below and swallowed everything above, as the last CNN employee, in the last surviving CNN studio in the world, witnessed the end of existence before them, he meant it.

Should you find yourself watching the apocalypse live on CNN, the last thing you see will emphatically not be in 4K resolution.

It's kept behind its own proverbial glass case. Angry, bold red letters are rendered on the computer screen of anyone who comes near it on CNN's intranet video database, reminding whoever accesses it that there is a grave restriction: Hold for release. CNN, once ever so thorough in its factchecking, knew that the last employee alive couldn't be trusted to make a call as consequential as one from the Book of Revelation. The end of the world must be confirmed.

http://www.greatsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/jalopnik_493-1.mp4

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »
This Is The Video CNN Will Play When The World Ends

Thirty-four years ago, at the launch of Ted Turner's Cable News Network, the founder made a grandiose and specific promise about his newly created round-the-clock operation. "Barring satellite problems, we won't be signing off until the world ends," Turner declared. And in anticipation, he prepared a final video segment for the apocalypse.

Since those early years, CNN has grown into a ponderous object in the background, immovably entrenched on cable even as it has been tossed from corporate merger to corporate merger. Born as part of Ted Turner's Turner Broadcasting System, in 1996 it became a part of Time Warner. In 2000 America Online bought Time Warner for $164 billion, and in 2006 Ted Turner himself left the Time Warner board. In 2009, the biggest corporate mistake in history reached its inevitable conclusion, and AOL was spun off from the company it once attempted to dominate.

Through it all there have been monumental culture shifts and budget re-adjustments, ideas tried out and tossed aside. There are few vestiges left of its original promise.

But there is still the video, awaiting its deployment. I was an intern at CNN back in 2009. Specifically, I worked at the Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer. Wolf was a nice enough guy, as people from Buffalo tend to be, but that's not really so weird. What was weird was seeing the apocalypse video.

I was originally told about it by a college professor of mine, who had worked at CNN for over 20 years. It sounded mostly like a mythic joke, the kind of thing that Ted Turner, the all-around "eccentric billionaire" archetype, would mention offhand. Bison ranches, the America's Cup, four girlfriends at once, the last word on the last day on earth—why not?

Turner's boast about broadcasting through the end of the world is the kind of thing you hear, in one form or another, from every startup founder. My idea is the best, it will beat all the others, it is here to stay, forever and ever. No, we won't get bought by AOL. And Turner was known for being blustery.

So when Ted Turner said that CNN was going to be playing "Nearer My God To Thee"—the song the band supposedly played when the Titanic went down—as the heavens opened up, as the fiery finger of God rained salt and brimstone from the sky, as the Earth beneath our feet opened from below and swallowed everything above, as the last CNN employee, in the last surviving CNN studio in the world, witnessed the end of existence before them, he meant it.

Should you find yourself watching the apocalypse live on CNN, the last thing you see will emphatically not be in 4K resolution.

It's kept behind its own proverbial glass case. Angry, bold red letters are rendered on the computer screen of anyone who comes near it on CNN's intranet video database, reminding whoever accesses it that there is a grave restriction: Hold for release. CNN, once ever so thorough in its factchecking, knew that the last employee alive couldn't be trusted to make a call as consequential as one from the Book of Revelation. The end of the world must be confirmed.

http://www.greatsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/jalopnik_493-1.mp4

John Oliver is finally catching up with the GS forums!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2015, 02:00:10 PM »
Heh-heh. Heh.

http://gawker.com/ladies-and-gentlemen-its-time-to-panic-1716514222

Ladies and Gentlemen, It's Time to Panic

Have you noticed anything odd going on this morning? Oh yes. Let us be the first to tell you that the time to panic is upon us.

ITEM: The New York City subway system suffered an atrocious commute today, with some trains being inexplicably stranded in stations for long periods of time.

ITEM: The website “The Dissolve” folded today.

ITEM: United Airlines was forced to ground all of its flights after its computer system mysteriously stopped working.

ITEM: The New York Stock Exchange suspended trading today after its computerized trading system mysteriously stopped working.

ITEM: Immediately after, the Wall Street Journal’s website mysteriously stopped working.

ITEM: More than 2,500 people in Washington, DC mysteriously lost power.

It seems our nation’s centers of powers are facing a mysterious and spreading collapse.

I choose to panic. If you choose to remain calm, good—I’ll get away ahead of you.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2015, 02:20:01 PM »
That DC power outage is part of a rolling power outage issue related to construction. Been going on since July 1st (when more than 15,000 were without power).

The WSJ, NYSE, and United outages are all very suspicious, though. Not mentioned: Google sync has been in and out over the last 48 hours, and still reports having problems.  Even money says the WSJ simply got slammed when the NYSE went offline.

Now, though, is when we should be paying attention to news out of China!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2015, 03:49:55 PM »
Don't fuck with the internet.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2015, 07:16:44 AM »
Oh!

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/247225-anonymous-issued-cryptic-tweet-on-eve-of-nyse-suspension

It would make sense to cover up any breaches from purely a business confidence point of view.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2015, 10:34:06 AM »
The NYSE denies it was a hack, but Anonymous seems to be cryptically taking responsibility. Of course, that's their move.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2015, 11:01:14 AM »
The NYSE denies it was a hack, but Anonymous seems to be cryptically taking responsibility. Of course, that's their move.

Are they still saying it was a "glitch"? A coordinated "glitch" that infected airlines, subways, powergrids, newspapers, and the stock exchange all within a few hours on the same day? Coincidence? Maybe. 

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2015, 02:31:36 PM »
They did mention the 'problem' before it happened.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2016, 04:05:27 PM »
Um...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germany-food-water-stockpile-warning-terror-attack-catastrophe-government-terrorism-a7203376.html

Germany warns its citizens to stockpile emergency food and water in case of terror attack
Germans will have to stock the enough food for ten days and enough water for five days , a newspaper has reported

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2016, 09:23:22 AM »
Yay! Panic buying.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2016, 08:34:28 AM »
Our modern apocalypse (and, perhaps, apt for this thread) is fracking. And it's starting sooner than we feared:

Oklahoma shaken by strong earthquake causing 'significant' damage
The magnitude 5.0 earthquake struck close to the town of Cushing, damaging structures downtown and forcing police to evacuate some buildings

That's the second earthquake in the area. Both have been linked to fracking, and USGS has been warning (for...years, along with similar agencies from all around the world) that this is only the beginning. Forget the fact that fracking results in water-borne and airborne carcinogens -- we're going to get swallowed up by sinkholes before the cancer has a chance to kill this entire generation's fracking workers and neighboring communities in the next decade.