Author Topic: Atlantis Season Five: Hard rebooting the soft reboot  (Read 13696 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Atlantis Season Five: Hard rebooting the soft reboot
« on: February 17, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »
So I'll start a season five thread because season four sucks so much even the creators have stopped talking about it.

Rumor is that everyone is pissed off at the direction Stargate is going, so yet another influx of new characters -- Captain Vega, Robert Picardo replacing Tapping -- is on board for next season. 

So this thread will be for the slew of spoilers that are coming in.

First up -- Tapping on her departure:

Last week GateWorld had the chance to sit down with Amanda Tapping ("Samantha Carter") for an extensive interview discussing the actress's career, future plans and personal life.

Among many of the questions raised was the writers' explanation for Sam's departure from Atlantis as base commander after only a season. Tapping made it clear to us that this was not originally planned. Her new television series, Sanctuary, ultimately took priority in her work life (story). But decisions have been made, and Carter must now be relocated as gracefully and logically as possible.

"I'd love to say 'Yeah, this is how they're going to do it,'" Tapping told GateWorld, "but I don't want to give away any secrets from Atlantis. And the writers have done it really cleverly."

Producers have stated that Stargate: The Ark of Truth takes place prior to Season Four of Atlantis, but that the placement of Continuum is more up in the open.

"The timeline for the movies may be slightly different than what we thought," said Tapping. "There's a little hint for you."

Could the events in Stargate: Continuum be the explanation for Sam being pulled away from Atlantis? Nothing is concrete on this side of the information fence, but it's the most plausible explanation at this point.

With Carter currently on Atlantis, one can inquire as to the status of SG-1. "What do I think happened to the team? What we've done in the past, where before Ben's character came on board the team disbanded and Daniel was doing this, Teal'c was doing that, and Vala was off doing this," Tapping told GateWorld. "I would like to think that that's what happened, not that the rest of the team kept going without her. Even though that's quite likely."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Atlantis Season Five: Hard rebooting the soft reboot
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 06:53:44 PM »
Snore...

Beware of SPOILERS for Season Five's "Ghost In the Machine," and Season Four's "Be All My Sins Remember'd," in the report below.

Old friends return as the Replicator story arc takes a massive leap forward in "Ghost In the Machine," the fifth episode of Stargate Atlantis's upcoming fifth season.

The Replicators were last seen in the Season Four episode "Be All My Sins Remember'd," which ended with a startling revelation: though the Replicators in the Pegasus Galaxy were believed to be destroyed, in fact a rebel group of the technological foe survived and is under the leadership of Elizabeth Weir, the former head of the Atlantis expedition -- or some form of her.

Today GateWorld received some scattered plot details for the episode, via casting calls put out for the episode's guest stars.

Koracen, a Replicator scientist on Weir's ship, believes he has found a way to reach a digital equivalent of ascension. Their consciousnesses will be enabled to exist indefinitely as fields of energy. As such beings they can essentially upload their minds to subspace and let their nanite bodies disintegrate, allowing them to move freely about the galaxy at will.

Lia, another Replicator, is understandably skeptical. But Koracen has a willing volunteer, and demonstrates the procedure.

Later, in Atlantis, the team works furiously to regain access to a room they have been locked out of. Colonel Sheppard orders two officers to retrieve heavy arms and explosives to blow the sealed door, but there is no need. The door suddenly opens, and Sheppard and his team are shocked by the familiar face which greets them.

It is Fran (Michelle Morgan), the "Friendly Replicator ANdroid" engineered by Dr. McKay last year ("Be All My Sins Remember'd"). Apparently now missing their bodies, the Replicators have come to Atlantis. And their leader is someone very, very close to the Atlantis team: Elizabeth Weir herself.

Weir will not be played by actress Torri Higginson, who turned down the offer to appear in the episode (story). Instead the script was rewritten so that the cliffhanger could be resolved and the story continued without her.

The existence of disembodied Replicator consciousnesses in the episode may go a long way in explaining just how this science fiction feat will be accomplished -- if the Weir from "Be All My Sins Remember'd" was, in fact, a Replicator duplicate and not the human Weir, who the Replicators claimed had been killed ("This Mortal Coil").

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 12:58:05 PM »
Not long to wait...

The fifth season of Stargate Atlantis may be kicking off on SCI FI Channel in the United States on July 11.

Though the cable network has not yet officially announced a start date for the new season, July 11 appeared this week on promotional material at the Stargate Atlantis Facebook and MySpace pages. The pages appears to be official MGM promotional outlets.

This would come just three days after the release of Season Four on DVD (story). Also making July a big month for the Stargate franchise is the July 29 release of the next SG-1 movie, Stargate: Continuum.

A season premiere on July 11 would also place the mid-season finale on September 19, assuming SCI FI takes its typical break for Labor Day weekend.

Season Five kicks off with "Search and Rescue," picking up where the show's fourth season cliffhanger ("The Last Man") left off.

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 01:06:18 PM »
I stopped watching mid-season 3 because surfthechannel has disappeared. It might be time to hit up bittorrents and rotate season downloading in and out.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »
Just when we thought things would even up... Momoa is talking about this being his last season.  And we know there are plenty more episodes trying to wedge Beckett II into the show.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:07:13 PM »
Actually he is contracted through Season 6, so after that he might be gone.  But we don't even know if there will be a season 6.  And unless Season 5 really turns it around, there really shouldn't be one.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 07:47:21 AM »
Scifi confirms start date -- July 11th. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 02:52:30 PM »
Episode one leaked!  Will get it in me tonight. 

Yay, new episodes of sub-standard sci-fi!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »
So season five has decided to blow their budget on the first episode.  Lots of sweeping shots and effects, all unnecessary.  But cashing in on the Wow!  Sci-fi!  factor, like it's 1987 all over again.  Wow!  New Enterprise!

The new girl's nice.  I like tiny women with huge guns.  But there's not too much of her.  It's pretty much concluding the cliffhanger, Teyla dropping her baby, and a generally uninteresting hour.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
Okay, so episode one sucked.  But the rest of the season will pick up, right?  RIGHT?

Let's look at the future episodes...

Episode two:

The clone of Dr. Carson Beckett is removed from stasis because he's the only one who can take action to figure a way out of a serious dilemma before it's too late for some of his close friends

Okay...no.  That's awful.

Episode three is where it'll pick up, right?

Ronon is reunited with Tyre, a former Satedan warrior turned "Wraith worshiper" (from episode 4x03 "Reunion"). Apparently having turned on his new masters and broken free of their brainwashing, Tyre hopes to rebuild the relationship with Ronon and Atlantis that has been destroyed

Ah...no...

How about a little bit of Doctor Who!

The Daedalus appears in orbit, abandoned. The expedition know that the Daedalus is currently at Earth, and decide to investigate. They soon discover this ship is not the one they know, and that it is jumping between different realities.

Episode five should...oh...

The Atlantis team is surprised when a Replicator scientist, named Koracen, reveals that they have developed a way to "digitally" ascend. Skeptical by the revelation, Koracen demonstrates the procedure, which locks the team out of one of the rooms in the city. Desperate to gain entry, Sheppard orders the door be blown apart, however, just as they are about to, the door opens to reveal a friendly face.

Great.  Replicators again.

Surely they'll have a blowout for the 300th episode in the Stargate franchise!

Rodney McKay begins suffering from the Pegasus Galaxy equivalent of Alzheimer's disease, and reverts to a child-like state (this episode will be the 300th Stargate episode).

Hmmm...   Oh, god:

Sheppard and Beckett join Maj. Anne Teldy’s team on a planet with one of Michael’s research facilities for the early versions of his human-iratus hybrids concealed inside a cave system. Unfortunately for them, Michael's hybrids are nearby conspiring against them. Paul McGillion will guest star as Carson Beckett.

Episode eight is a Teyla episode and sounds impossibly retarded!

Teyla is posing as Todd's (Christopher Heyerdahl) Wraith Queen, giving him the authority to enter talks with another hive and its Queen. It's not too long before suspicion is cast upon them and they must work together to maintain their ploy...

Seriously, are all these episode descriptions a joke?

Episode nine:

The team comes to the aid of a village under Wraith threat, but Ronon and McKay must rescue one of their own when Dr. Keller is kidnapped...

Episode ten is when we introduce yet another new face to the Pegasus Galaxy.  Michael Shanks should help beef this up, which I'm sure will be the mid-season hiatus cliffhanger.

Daniel Jackson returns to Atlantis to do research on the Lantean scientist Janus. The Atlantis Expedition makes first contact with a new alien species. Michael Shanks will guest-star as Daniel Jackson.

Todd, again, for the conclusion:

Sheppard must race to save McKay and Daniel Jackson from an Ancient laboratory before Todd, who has hijacked an Earth battle cruiser, gets there first...

Episode 12:  I guess the Wraith and the Replicators and the various rogue Wraith freaks aren't causing enough trouble, because we get this Buck Roger's-style episode:

The Atlantis expedition is put on trial for the crimes against the Pegasus Galaxy by a group of human civilizations that have formed 'The Coalition'.

Episode 13!

Sheppard and his team meet a man and a woman named Sefaris and Novo who have become immune to Wraith feeding process through the Hoffan Drug and a people called Balarans who have welcomed them to their community. However the Balarans are threatened when the Wraith come hunting for the two 'outsiders'.

Yep...

I stopped reading when I saw "In search for Teyla's baby..."

In search for Teyla's baby, Michael and his hybrids infiltrate Atlantis. While the hybrids take control of the city's systems one by one, it's up to Sheppard's and Lorne's teams to retake the city. But first McKay has to disable a seemingly impenetrable stun energy field setup by Michael.

Episode 15 sounds passable:

John Sheppard has been abducted. He regains consciousness, finding himself in a forest on the mainland of Atlantis's new home planet, His hands and feet are bound, He tries to free himself from his bonds. He soon discovers who it is who tied him up: Acastus Kolya (Robert Davi).In Atlantis, Woolsey, McKay, and the rest of the team are about to make a shocking discovery, a discovery about about an ancient race, and what they need to survive.

Except, hasn't Kolya died about a dozen times?

No word on episodes 16-20.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »
Atlantis is really getting stale.  The biggest problem I see is that they seem to be stuck in "character" episodes.  All you hear about is how the characters are growing and developing.  What happened to the bad guys? 

I've been re-watching SG-1, and the biggest difference between the series is that Atlantis don't have those freaked out "what the hell is going ?!!" episodes anymore.  It used to be...
"..we woke up the Wraith"

"..oh shit!!!!!"
"...what do we do now!"
"...I don't know, try this button..."

*BOOM*
".. what the fuck was that?"

But now it's just... "I wonder what the moral ramifications are to pushing this button?"

I'll still watch, but I used to get all revved up for Sat morning and now, if there is a good repeat of a football game on the NFL network I'll watch that first.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »
I'll still watch, but I used to get all revved up for Sat morning and now, if there is a good repeat of a football game on the NFL network I'll watch that first.

I had read this post assuming it was from Nacho.  Then I got to the end and was like..."Whaaaaa?  Football?"  My worldview has been restored.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 06:34:13 PM »
Yeah, episode two of this season sucked.  Suddenly Staite is turning into a ship?  Yet another excuse to get Beckett back.  The stupid changeover politics with Picardo.  Two episodes in and it's rambling around blindly.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 11:20:38 PM »
See I don't think the episode sucked.  It wasn't good and certainly doesn't hold a candle to the first two seasons but I've seen much worse (i.e. Flash Gordon).  That's where the big problem is.  The episodes aren't horrible if you compare them to other SciFi shows.  They are just bad for the Stargate universe.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 02:06:44 AM »
Well, Jesus, if you want shows that are better than Flash Gordon then we can get together and watch some episodes from deep into Beverly Hills, 90210.