Author Topic: DC Metro: The money's gone, and we're going to punish you  (Read 102267 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: DC Metro: The money's gone, and we're going to punish you
« Reply #405 on: May 06, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »
Yeah, those fucking arcing rails are insane. Now imagine that happening in a tunnel while a train passes over it, which is more common.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #406 on: May 07, 2016, 05:06:24 AM »
Metro officials released details about the maintenance program Friday. Beginning in June, the entire system will shut down nightly at midnight to conduct track work, officials said. Specific segments of the Red Line in Montgomery County will be affected by the following maintenance programs:

Aug. 1 to Aug. 8, Silver Spring to Takoma: Trains will continuously single-track between the Silver Spring and Takoma stations, which is expected to impact 94,000 weekday trips. Trains from Shady Grove to NoMa will run every six minutes during that time while trains from Glenmont to Grosvenor will run every 12 minutes.

Aug. 9 to Aug. 19, Shady Grove to Twinbrook: Trains will continuously single-track between the Rockville stations, impacting an estimated 32,200 trips. Trains from Shady Grove and Rockville will run every 18 minutes as opposed to the current six minutes. Customers are encouraged to use the Twinbrook station during this time.

Jan. 2 to March 7, Medical Center to Friendship Heights: Trains will begin single-tracking starting at 8 p.m. each night, except during Inauguration Week. Trains will arrive every 15 to 20 minutes at the stations while single-tracking.

Metro General Manager Paul Wiedefeld said the surge in maintenance operations is needed to bring the transit system in line with safety mandates from federal agencies such as the Federal Transit Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). The announcement comes after NTSB roundly criticized Metro’s safety culture in its report about the deadly 2015 smoke incident that killed a woman on a train near the L’Enfant Plaza station.

“This is a massive undertaking,” Wiedefeld said during a press conference Friday. “It’s like a military operation. There’s a lot of moving parts that we have to work together.”

He said crews will be replacing wooden rail ties, track, power cables and insulators across the system. When stations are closed for the repair work, the transit operator will proved buses to transport riders to other stations, he said.

Overall, the Red Line, which Wiedefeld has previously said underwent extensive maintenance over the past two years, will be less affected than other lines in the transit system. For example, Metro plans to shut down stations for weeks at a time over the next year on the Blue, Yellow and Green lines, but complete shutdowsn of Red Line stations were not reported.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #407 on: May 11, 2016, 10:57:47 AM »
In the wake of the caught-on-film arcing incident, even Metro's rehabilitation plan isn't enough to calm nerves. The Secretary of Transportation said he seriously considered shuttering Metro last week and that he will consider that as an alternative in the future if there are more incidents. He also heavily criticized the rehabilitation plan.

Fun times ahead!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #408 on: May 12, 2016, 07:23:27 AM »
I'm not surprised:

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/30778/the-feds-tell-metro-to-rearrange-its-maintenance-plans/

So the light-handed (and a little bizarre) rehabilitation program is out the window. And my commute is about to suck really hard.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #409 on: May 20, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »
Here we go...

Good afternoon.  As you most likely have heard by now, METRO has published their final plans for making repairs and improvements to their system. Some of the disruptions will start as soon as June 4th.

Specifically, the most recent press release from METRO states that, “Metro General Manager/CEO Paul J. Wiedefeld today publicly released the final SafeTrack plan -- a comprehensive maintenance effort that will accelerate three years’ worth of work into approximately one year. The plan significantly expands maintenance time on weekends, weeknights and midday hours and includes 15 "Safety Surges"--long-duration track outages for major projects in key parts of the system.”
http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=6105

If you want the detail information on what lines will be affected and when, please use the following link:
http://www.wmata.com/Images/Mrel/MF_Uploads/SafeTrack_Public.pdf?

If you commute to and from work on METRO we encourage you to start looking for alternative commuting options, adjust your commuting schedule, or explore different travel options to avoid or minimize disruptions to your commute. For regular staff who have been authorized to telecommute, and have a signed telecommuting agreement on file with HR, we encourage the use of this option during this period of time.

Thanks,
Human Resources

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #411 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:10 AM »
Nacho can't hear you. He's swimming to work.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #412 on: June 23, 2016, 12:00:42 PM »
Yeah. Madness.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #413 on: June 27, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »
So the final decision for how to handle Safetrack at work is that "working at home is up to us." Which has always been the policy. This means we all have to get up and go to the Metro and judge whether or not it's possible to get downtown or not.

For a few of us (not me) it'll be easy -- some stations are closing entirely. But I'll have to roll the dice each day. Of course, during "normal" operation, I miss an average of one day out of every 15 and have to do an "ad-hoc work at home day."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #414 on: July 05, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »
So much that's upsetting about this:

http://wjla.com/news/local/metro-transparency-07-02-2016

Not only is crime on the rise across the entire Metro system, but it's going largely unreported. The truly alarming aspect of this story is what they're not reporting on -- that many of these crimes are happening during daylight hours, and some even during rush hour. So this isn't a dark station late at night, there's rape, murder, and violent assault happening during peak ridership hours.

Also not discussed in this article is the idea that MS-13 is largely behind much of this crime. So we have gang-related violence, system-wide, that can strike at any time.

I tell you... I'm counting the days to where I never have to ride the Metro again. I dread every trip, and that's before I even think about the potential of violence (which I have witnessed on multiple occasions). I dread every trip because I think it's more likely to die in flames and smoke. In the midst of Safetrack -- on sections that have been repaired under the Safetrack plan -- there were three fires this weekend.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #415 on: July 06, 2016, 12:14:13 PM »
Today in DC Metro Safetrack news -- all access to National is shut down. The shuttle buses -- few and far between -- have all been a disaster. Reports from one bus have the driver pulling over and asking passengers for directions to the airport!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #416 on: August 03, 2016, 01:30:40 PM »
So phase one of the Red Line's Safetrack surge hasn't impacted my commute at all. Of course, that's probably because ridership is down 40%.

The really cool news is that many of the major Red Line folks are also on the main MARC line. The world has now opened up to them -- monthly passes on MARC are cheaper, the seats are more comfortable, and the commute is shorter.

Phase 2 of the Red Line comes a bit closer to my side of the Red Line, starting on Monday. Then the real shitshow (closed stations) is in October.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #417 on: September 09, 2016, 12:33:33 PM »
Hmmm...

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/33481/metro-is-proposing-the-most-limited-hours-of-any-large-rail-transit-system-in-the-us/

Most folks at work have just quit altogether. Either using Uberpool or taking the MARC in.

The Metro really is the worst part of my days.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #418 on: October 13, 2016, 11:12:39 AM »
The Red Line has pretty much been broken for 24 hours. So a work at home day for me! Yay! Where's RC? Come drink all my scotch!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #419 on: October 13, 2016, 03:57:59 PM »
Missus RC texted me taking the red line from Chinatown to Tenley last night, "Stuck at Farragut North. The train keeps starting a stopping at weird intervals."