Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 33560 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2016, 04:13:41 PM »
This was cool... A video essay on the troubles of adapting Watchmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oltd-Jsi2I

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2016, 07:28:04 AM »
The Watchmen movie was good for something as fantastic as the graphic novel series was - really, it was a good movie and better than many Superhero movies being made; more comic book faggots being comic book faggots.

'Oh no! Adrian's shoulders are 1cm wider than his depiction in the graphic novel. UNWATCHABLE!'
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »
Old rumor, but gaining traction today:

HBO had been rumored since 2014 as being a possible home for a TV adaptation of the series. After all, given the mature subject matter of the comic, it would need to be on some form of a pay channel. If not, it would have been neutered down. It was reported that Damon Lindelof is currently in talks to bring the show to HBO. Lindelof is rumored to be starting from scratch from previous attempts to develop the show for HBO

I am all about an HBO TV series... That's really the only way to translate the comic to film.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »
And...official. I stand by my comment above.

HBO has given a green light for a pilot and backup scripts based on the limited comic series Watchmen from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. The project comes from Damon Lindelof, who teased the project on Instagram (see below) before the announcement, and Warner Bros TV.

Zack Snyder previously adapted Watchmen into a feature film in 2009.

Watchmen is set in an alternate history world in 1985 at the height of the cold war. Superheroes exist and have had a hand in changing the outcomes of major events for about 50 years, but they are now mostly retired, with a few working as government agents.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2019, 11:43:41 AM »
So now we can talk about the wholly unwatchable HBO series, set 20 years or so after the events of the movie and dragging ass relentlessly towards...nothing much. With Jeremy Irons as the only ray of hope in an otherwise yawn-worthy, eye-rolling nightmare of brooding dystopian sci-fi that thinks it's making a commentary on our modern culture.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
You're the outlier on this, I think. Everyone else is like "OMG, it's so prescient!"

Which means it probably won't age well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:49:03 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2019, 10:20:38 AM »
I love the concept -- this is what happened after Rorschach's journal went public. But, you know, this falls under the "unnecessary remake" category for me. And they exacerbate it by obsessively talking about the source material but not quite knowing the source material. Like they're talking more about the Snyder movie than the comics, but also trying to ape the comics, and...well, in the middle of all that writers' room angst, I find myself wondering: Why the fuck didn't you just tell your own story? Like the Westworld writers (which Watchmen is also trying to ape).

So it's pretty. It's interesting. And it's 100% informed by what's already been successful in this genre for this network (Westworld, and the source material).