Author Topic: Post, you knobs...  (Read 331372 times)

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
Re: Post, you knobs...
« Reply #375 on: August 09, 2007, 03:28:07 PM »
All the hick crackers in my home county in El Dorado.

I hate that county. God.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #376 on: August 09, 2007, 03:33:22 PM »
We destroyed all of our local Indians.  Four tribes for the DC area -- Powhaten (currently 3000 left on two reservations in VA), the Nanticoke, who don't exist anymore despite a Nanticoke Pow Wow held each year in DE.  The Susquehannock are all dead and so are the Conoy.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #377 on: August 09, 2007, 04:10:47 PM »
Hail to the Redskins!

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #378 on: August 09, 2007, 04:24:47 PM »
Phh... that's nothing.  I've got the Trail of motherfuckin Tears in my backyard.

Ahh, the Indian Removal Act... gotta love the deep South.
8=o tation

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #379 on: August 09, 2007, 04:28:45 PM »
Department Head sends e-mail!

Tyson, Sys Admin, and Tyson's Supervisor,

Please be in my office at 11am this morning.

Department Head

I get there and Tyson's Supervisor is already in the office, but Department Head asks me to "give them a second". I stand outside the office for ten minutes before Tyson's Supervisor says we're going to reschedule the meeting. So I go back to my office and work for 20 minutes, when my supervisor comes back to the office.

Me: What was that all about?

Sup.: She's concerned about the lack of communication in the department. Nothing major.

Uh...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #380 on: August 09, 2007, 04:30:37 PM »
Haha.  It's all a game.

At one of my old jobs, behavior like that usually meant you were getting fired.  So you'd have the second meeting 20 minutes later and they'd spend 15 minutes hemming and hawing their way through letting you go.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #381 on: August 09, 2007, 05:23:38 PM »
Co-worker from Ghana:  Oh, it's supposed to rain, and all I have is a plastic bag.

Me:  A plastic bag?  The national flower of Ghana!

Ghana co-worker/office mate/another coworker: *gasp*

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #382 on: August 09, 2007, 08:24:31 PM »
Haha.  It's all a game.

At one of my old jobs, behavior like that usually meant you were getting fired.  So you'd have the second meeting 20 minutes later and they'd spend 15 minutes hemming and hawing their way through letting you go.

Oh, I'm definitely not getting fired because, well, I'm the only guy holding our webapps in one piece. If I left, most everything would go to hell. I do tons of good work for them. I think originally I was invited but then she decided not to keep me in the loop because we have a problem keeping people in the loop. We want people in the loop! But keep them out!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #383 on: August 09, 2007, 10:20:24 PM »
You have a real skill.  That old job of mine was the AP.  There is no humanity, no talent, and no quarter when it comes to letting you go.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #384 on: August 10, 2007, 04:25:26 AM »
Now, explain your disturbing avatar. Is that the girl with no face?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #385 on: August 10, 2007, 07:35:37 AM »
It is!  Isn't she a doll?

Offline fajwat

• Wee Bin Hoker
  • Cthulu saves souls for tasty midnight binges.
« Reply #386 on: August 10, 2007, 11:00:50 AM »
Oh, I'm definitely not getting fired because, well, I'm the only guy holding our webapps in one piece. If I left, most everything would go to hell. I do tons of good work for them. I think originally I was invited but then she decided not to keep me in the loop because we have a problem keeping people in the loop. We want people in the loop! But keep them out!

That's so full of shit.  I see essential people getting fired all the time.  I don't mean people who just think they're essential -- I mean really, actually damagingly essential and when they leave things break that week and stay broken for months or the project flat out dies or it gets outsourced to a series of bad outside firms who never make it anything like it was.

And generally those people who might as well be locked in a room by themselves -- whether by their own choice or because it appears to be necessary to get anything done -- have brain damaged, twisted software which needs to fail and be completely rewritten to match maintainability and end-user requirements.  So a lot of those essential people who are fired, even though it breaks stuff, are sometimes fired for good reasons and get good outcomes in the long run.

Even with all that -- don't kid yourself.  When the fuck did Management make decisions which were good for your projects, over what they wanted to do?  How reality based are you requiring mgmt to be?  Are they giving you 20% raises every year?  If not, then don't think they're even starting out with that special untouchably employed opinion of you.  If they do think of that way, you're still getting fired if they feel like it.
"If it were up to me I would close Guantánamo not tomorrow but this afternoon... Essentially, we have shaken the belief that the world had in America's justice system... and it's causing us far more damage than any good we get from it."

-Colin Powell

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #387 on: August 10, 2007, 11:03:52 AM »
Fajwat's bene working for the Man for too long.

That's bullshit, Tyson!  And...and  I'm shooting up the office today!  I'll be back.

Offline fajwat

• Wee Bin Hoker
  • Cthulu saves souls for tasty midnight binges.
« Reply #388 on: August 10, 2007, 11:08:10 AM »
I've been fired probably a dozen times and I've had projects flat-out fail behind me.  I've seen other people's projects declared toxic (probably some of my own), where an official requirement -- even though it added at least 6 months to the release date -- was "Get rid of every line of Erik's code."   I've had the managers who begged for their directors to NOT fire me (and lost) call me up for years asking advice on their projects for years, even after they've changed jobs 2 or 3 times.
"If it were up to me I would close Guantánamo not tomorrow but this afternoon... Essentially, we have shaken the belief that the world had in America's justice system... and it's causing us far more damage than any good we get from it."

-Colin Powell

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #389 on: August 10, 2007, 12:03:03 PM »
I said, "Fuck you... give me my money, I quit," to my boss at Tower... that shit was awesome.
8=o tation