Author Topic: Post, you knobs...  (Read 328172 times)

Offline fajwat

• Wee Bin Hoker
  • Cthulu saves souls for tasty midnight binges.
Re: Post, you knobs...
« Reply #195 on: July 12, 2007, 11:21:07 PM »
lol

"If it were up to me I would close Guantánamo not tomorrow but this afternoon... Essentially, we have shaken the belief that the world had in America's justice system... and it's causing us far more damage than any good we get from it."

-Colin Powell

Offline fajwat

• Wee Bin Hoker
« Reply #196 on: July 12, 2007, 11:24:45 PM »
become a domain name registrar!
"If it were up to me I would close Guantánamo not tomorrow but this afternoon... Essentially, we have shaken the belief that the world had in America's justice system... and it's causing us far more damage than any good we get from it."

-Colin Powell

Offline fajwat

• Wee Bin Hoker
« Reply #197 on: July 12, 2007, 11:24:57 PM »
dude that is so fucked up. 

-Colin Powell

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2007, 11:32:41 PM »
Oh, clever name. There's a lot you could do with it, I guess. Shop it around to the domain name registrars who help people generate names when their current one is already taken.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2007, 11:35:09 PM »
Oh, please explain that further.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #200 on: July 13, 2007, 05:13:52 PM »
Ah, the Dalai Lamaberg thing got me.

Started here --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalai_Lama

Moved through all the Lama's... Reading about this poor kid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gedhun_Choekyi_Nyima%2C_11th_Panchen_Lama

Didn't know what the Panchen lama was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchen_Lama

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2007, 05:48:46 PM »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2007, 05:54:38 PM »
Cute...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Kinney

The City of Kinney, Minnesota seceded from the Union on July 13, 1977, to form the Republic of Kinney.

The City of Kinney will celebrate the 30th Anniversary of its "independence" as the Republic of Kinney during the weekend of July 13-15, 2007

City of Kinney
Clerk’s Office
KINNEY, MINNESOTA 55758

July 13, 1977

Honorable Cyrus Vance
Secretary of State
Washington, D.C.

BE IT RESOLVED that the City Council of the City of Kinney, in Kinney, Minnesota, has decided to secede from the United States of America, and become a foreign country. Our area is large enough for it. We are twelve square blocks, three blocks wide and four blocks long. We will be similar to Monaco. It is much easier to get assistance as a foreign country, which we need badly, and there is no paper work to worry about. If necessary, we will be glad to declare war and lose. However, if this is a requirement, we would appreciate being able to surrender real quick, as our Mayor works as a nurse in a hospital, and most of our council members work in a nearby mine and cannot get much time off from work.

CITY COUNCIL OF VILLAGE OF KINNEY
Mary Anderson, Mayor
Margaret Medure, Clerk
Al Helmin, Councilman
Lloyd Linnell, Councilman
Myron Holcomb, Councilman
Jim Randall, Village Attorney

'Republic of Kinney' celebration recalls day Minn. town 'seceded'

Associated Press
Jul. 9, 2007 04:38 PM
KINNEY, Minn. - It's been 30 years since this tiny Iron Range town made national news when it jokingly seceded from the United States, and residents are getting ready to celebrate their brief moment in the sun.

"Be it resolved that the City Council of the City of Kinney in Kinney, Minnesota, has decided to secede from the United States of America, and become a foreign country," city officials wrote on July 13, 1977, to U.S. Secretary of State Cyrus Vance.

The tongue-in-cheek secession was prompted by a real problem, the city's inability to obtain $186,000 in federal or state financial assistance to repair its crumbling water system.

Kinney residents ran with the joke. They printed up fake passports and issued them to just about anyone who asked for one and some who didn't, including Tonight Show host Johnny Carson.

In 11 months, the town issued 1,600 passports. Bearers were guaranteed safe passage through city borders, a free slice of the traditional Slovenian cake called potica, and a 10-cent cup of coffee at Mary's Bar.

Kinney also commissioned a navy, composed of one canoe but no sailors. The town sent then-Gov. Rudy Perpich an official request to supply the Republic with its own set of bocce balls. Frozen foods entrepreneur Jeno Paulucci, an Iron Range native, got in on the joke when he gave Kinney its first "foreign aid" - a used 1974 Ford LTD police car with 50,000 miles.

All the hijinks generated media interest from around the country, which in turn had the intended effect - eventually, the state of Minnesota coughed up $198,000 for the water system.

"People laughed about it," said Barbara Wiltse, a Kinney resident for 40 years. "But we got what we wanted."

Starting Friday, the town of 151 residents will mark what some call the "Revolution on the Range" with a three-day celebration featuring a concert, fireworks, an ice cream social, street dance, potluck picnic and parade.

Coincidentally, city officials said they're trying to secure funding for an extension of water and sewer to another part of the town.

Said Sandy Husmann, who helped organize the festival: "We may have to start seceding again soon."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:59:39 PM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2007, 06:22:29 PM »
So this has been in committee since May:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1858:

I sure hope nothing comes of it.

Offline fajwat

• Wee Bin Hoker
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_%28historic_U.S._state%29

Locally, a constitution that disallowed lawyers, doctors and preachers from election to the legislature was rejected by plebiscite. Thereafter, a constitution modeled on that of North Carolina was adopted with few changes, and the state was called Franklin.

-Colin Powell

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS

Offline fajwat

• Wee Bin Hoker
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2007, 06:32:44 PM »
So this has been in committee since May:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1858:

I sure hope nothing comes of it.

I really don't mind.  Of course there are problems but I've flipped back and forth on retrocession.  I'm sure there are plenty of horror scenarios but I still think DC can only improve.

The only basic problem issues as I see them are fairly intractable no matter who owns DC, but if they have a real state working their issues they might get some more traction. 

* adequate self-rule, which is hard because of the huge federal interest
* adequate taxes, except the fed property blocks so much of that that it's too tricky.  Also, feds seem to block some kind of common tax from being collected?  I forget which, but it seems like something radical would have to change, or congress will always be required to allocate funding to DC.

-Colin Powell

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2007, 06:37:43 PM »
Yeah...it's basically dumping half a million disenfranchised blacks on Maryland while the Feds get all the quality real estate, and then hoping that Maryland's tax base can support the blow well enough to overhaul the infrastructure and turn DC into a city that isn't trapped in the 1980's.