Author Topic: Blood Ties  (Read 1437 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Blood Ties
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:11:51 PM »

http://bloodties.tv/main.html

So I've been working through this really cheesy Canadian show based on a cheesy detective series -- Blood Ties.  It's about a super-hawt ex-cop who has an eye disease that's making her slowly go blind (used only to explain why she's a lonely ex-cop, why she kinda sorta needs a partner, and to provide mild comic relief in the first few episodes).  She starts up a detective agency and strikes out on her own, but then gets drawn into the world of the supernatural -- and meets Henry Fitzroy, a 500 year old metrosexual vampire and bastard son of Henry VIII (in real life, Henry Fitzroy did die "mysteriously" at the age of 17).

They form a fast bond, a vague romantic relationship, and an inexplicable partnership, and go out to smash up some demons on the mean streets of Toronto.

She's loads of fun and wonderful to stare at, Fitzroy is a super-pansy who never seems to be powerful enough (but, hey, he's English nobility, what do you want?), and we get a little gathering of sidekicks: There's the tiresome ex-boyfriend cop who finds himself at odds with Fitzroy, but forced to play for the team when the chips are down.  Francoise Yip casually phoning in her three minutes per episode as just some cop around the station who seems to be interested in the ex boyfriend cop.  We get an endearing medical examiner who has a bit of a taste for the occult (in so far as she accepts every possibility, and notices the impossible). And our main girl's sidekick is a sexy goth chick who knows everything from ancient love spells to building flamethrowers. 

It starts off corny as hell, stumbles through vast sections of poorly written story, sometimes feels rushed, and you spend lots of time wanting to shoot the ex-boyfriend cop.

And it's oodles of fun!  It took six episodes for it to click with me, and now I'm loving it. 

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
Re: Blood Ties
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:18:19 PM »
Sounds like Buffy or Angel, yeah?
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:24:43 PM »
Yeah, kind of.  It's a subdued Buffy/Angel without the cleverness.  But by episode six, the goth chick sidekick is getting a bit more coverage (she's making bullets and flamethrowers and gets scenes all to herself), so it goes real Buffy.  And the more Fitzroy and our main chick, Vicky, get involved, the more we get real Buffy/Angel unrequited love shit. 

It's like they struggled for the first few weeks to make it non-Buffy, and then they suddenly gave up and just let it follow a natural course.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:56:27 PM »
I could have sworn I bumped this...

Anyway, two eps into season two.  The second season's first episode was a touch slow, but the second one was great because they've removed about 79% of the stupid.  And, you know, the chick is hot.  And the supernatural stuff is all done on a budget of about $5, but it's still fun.  When they decide to do it.  And, by "supernatural," I mean the character says he's a vampire but...eh.

Moonlight has tried hard to ape this show's initial idea and, while Moonlight delivers in the action department, it sucks.  This show has redeeming moments.  Also, the chick is hot.

Oh, and the chick is hot.

I just wish they'd cut loose and do what they obviously want to do -- Buffy.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:53:05 PM »
So we got our staple low-quality sci-fi series Groundhog Day episode...and it was fun.  Did I mention that the chick is hot?