Author Topic: Atlantis Series 4 (and some vague talk about how we liked Ark of Truth)  (Read 14586 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Atlantis Series 4, by "reboot" we mean "Hire Amanda Tapping"
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 11:26:40 AM »
It's got Morena Baccarin in it.

Continuing her career of chest close-ups?  I, of course, can't say no.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 11:28:07 AM »
TiVo'd it so one can only hope.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 11:28:59 AM »
Let me know if it's worth a go.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 11:32:25 AM »
Supposed to be a character driven show about doctors.  So who knows.  But I will let you know.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 08:36:46 AM »
Okay...a darker Atlantis.  Maybe somebody will stay dead.

The fall season is brimming with new shows ready to battle it out for ratings success, and when it comes to time slots, some are luckier than others.

What has fans of returning series “Stargate: Atlantis” concerned is the recent announcement that the show will be making its comeback at the later time of 10 p.m. However, fans shouldn’t worry about the move as this isn’t an attempt by the SciFi Channel to kill of the series, but instead to allow it a little more freedom in the kinds of stories it tells, producers said.

Back when the first season debuted in 2004, Atlantis originally held the later 10 p.m. timeslot before finally being shunted to the slightly earlier time of 9 p.m. in order to make way for the anticipated debut of “Battlestar Galactica,” a series the network felt had a much darker influence than the earlier time slot warranted.

This year, "Galactica" won't return until 2008, but will give fans a taster of the upcoming season with the premiere of a special-length telemovie featuring the saga of the Battlestar Pegasus after the initial attack on the colonies. The original cast of the series will all feature in the movie as will the previously seen characters from the second season two-parter “Pegasus.”

Like any move, shifting Atlantis will come under intense ratings scrutiny to identify if the slot is right for the series. However if the move proves to be a scheduling blunder, it is possible that the show will join its parent series “Stargate SG-1” which was cancelled last year. So if you’re a fan of the show, now is the perfect time to start introducing the fantastic universe of "Atlantis" to friends and family.

Traditionally the show has begun its run in high summer before taking a mid-season break at the end of the fall. This year marks the first year that the show will premiere in the highly competitive fall season that has a host of new series set to begin their run.

Among these new shows are “Flash Gordon” and “Bionic Woman,” which will also help make up SciFi’s Friday night schedule. The rerun of NBC’s “Bionic Woman” is set to kick-start the night at 7 p.m., followed by all-new episodes of “Doctor Who” and “Flash Gordon” before “Atlantis” finally hits the screens on Sept 28.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 09:58:29 AM »
My only concern is SciFi airing it against the big boys in the fall.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 10:04:55 AM »
Well, BSG's old spot is pretty good.  Season three for BSG didn't start to plummet until the weird-ass move to Sundays.  And the extended America-only hiatus.

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 02:58:08 PM »
Plummet? I could've sworn the ratings went UP after they moved to Sunday.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 03:34:25 PM »
They were almost canceled.  We're lucky to be getting season four... As soon as they split up the Sci-Fi Friday, it all started to fall apart.  BSG hasn't had good ratings since Exodus. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 10:32:26 AM »
The thing is... I don't want more Earth-based episodes.  The whole point of Atlantis is that, you know, they're far away from Earth and coping with new things.

Fans of the genre may remember him as Major Hayes on "Star Trek: Enterprise," but in the fall the actor Steven Culp will be trading his starship for a Stargate as he heads to the lost city of the Ancients in "Stargate: Atlantis."

According to Gateworld, Culp will be seen in the ninth episode of the series, entitled “Millers Crossing,” which sees Rodney McKay (David Hewlett) and his sister Jeannie (played by his real-life sister Kate Hewlett) kidnapped by a shadowy medical corporation on Earth. The corporation is said to be the main government contractor that has interfaced with alien technology received through the Stargate program.

Since the cancellation of it’s parent series “Stargate SG-1,” producers say that “Atlantis” will get the chance to tell more Earth-based stories that they could not previously do without stepping on a few toes. The means for the Earth-based stories was introduced in the third season with the construction of the space-gate network that stretches between galaxies, replacing the need for a ZPM (zero-point module) to open a single wormhole.

It's not yet clear who Culp will play on the series or if he will have a recurring role with the show after this episode, however Gateworld has put its money on the actor having a fairly integral role in the episode. On "Enterprise," Culp played M.A.C.O leader Major Hayes for the third season for its season-long Xindi arc. Since then, he has also appeared in "JAG," "ER" and "Desperate Housewives."

For the fourth season, “Atlantis” will be making its debut at the slightly later timeslot of 10 p.m. to make way for the flood of new shows making their debut. The move will also allow the series to tell slightly darker tales which the 9 p.m. timeslot would not allow.

New episodes of “Stargate: Atlantis” returns to the SciFi Channel on Sept. 28.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 03:20:42 PM »
Not that I am surprised but they could have made the whole "we don't know where we are in the galaxy" thing last at least halfway through the season.  Obviously they must get to a planet to set up sometype of network for the gates.  I don't mind Earth-bound episodes but I understand your point.  Really I'll be happy with just seeing Jewel.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 03:34:06 PM »
Hey -- let's review the problems so far:

(1) The lost in space thing is resolved in the two part premiere. (Um...by magic?  Or the tried and true "Oh I found the answer to everything thanks to this gadget but we used it up with that one big jump so now we're back to the status quo.")

(2) More Earth-bound episodes

(3) More Replicators.  Jesus, when are the Ori going to come in?  Are we really just getting SG-1 season 11 here?

(4) The fans already hate Jewel and Beckett is slotted to return (if only as a recurring character) towards the end of the season, so they've pulled their only real punch from season three.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 03:37:26 PM »
Great....grrgh stupid people.  I have said it once and I'll say it again.  I hate people.  At least Weir is gone.  I don't mind if the Ori don't come in, or were you being sarcastic?  I mean we have the replicators and the Wraith.  Enough bad guys.  Of course I don't think we even need the replicators just more Wraith.  But whatever.  I'll still watch it.  It needs to suck as bad as the third season of Enterprise before I will turn away.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 03:50:28 PM »
I was being sarcastic, yes.  Because they suddenly pulled the Replicators out of their ass and there was no need for that.  Importing SG-1 stuff should end with cast changes.  The Wraith are a great enemy.  And we get the retarded Genii or whatever they are to balance out the need for a secondary enemy.

And they are going to introduce a new enemy (or ally) this season, anyway.  The "Travelers," who have eluded the Wraith by living on huge ships and trawling culled planets.  They show up early on and spoilers suggest they're the big baddies in time for the hiatus-cliffhanger.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 04:03:55 PM »
See we don't need that unless it's done just right.  Which it probably won't be.  You're right a spin-off should have some references to the old show now and then, but basically live on it's own.  That is where Angel was done right.  A few references to Buffy but pretty much it's own show.  Then need to take a page from Joss...of course that could be said about many shows.