Author Topic: Stupid Headlines  (Read 69227 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Stupid Headlines
« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2016, 09:57:22 AM »
Washington Post on Orlando:

Shooter Showed Signs of Emotional Trouble

You think? What gave it away? The 50 dead bodies?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #211 on: June 13, 2016, 12:03:13 PM »
In these situations, I think news outlets just don't know what to say anymore, so they juts spout the obvious.

"Shooter was a fucking sadistic train wreck of a human being. Film at 11!"
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:55:13 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #212 on: June 13, 2016, 01:41:25 PM »
In these situations, I think news outlets just don't what to say anymore

Wow. Spoken like someone who doesn't watch the news. Basically every news outlet is crawling through the TV screen like fucking Samara and screaming the first words that come into all of their minds into our faces.

I'm a little bit surprised that Today didn't stage a dramatic reading of that kid's last texts using the cast of Hamilton.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:48:27 PM by nacho »

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #213 on: June 13, 2016, 01:55:56 PM »
I'm saying they just don't know what say anymore... not what bad typos and auto-correct said I said.

But you're right... I don't watch the news because *shudder.*

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2016, 02:08:24 PM »
My news embargo is getting stronger. I didn't actually learn about this till this morning.

I have to admit that I find it all a bit mundane at this point. An interesting observation on the inside-the-Beltway psyche: This really feels like something that only happens Elsewhere. Like, out there, in the world beyond the borders of the glorious Capital of the Empire, there's a vast sea of seething barbarians. They do horrible things, yes, but...that's why they're out there and we're in here.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #215 on: June 13, 2016, 02:28:01 PM »
That's kind of an awful mindset that I don't agree with at all. It could just have easily been one of the dozens of gay clubs in DC.

Background checks for gun purchases, man. A guy like this had been raising red flags for years. This asshole still would have gotten a gun, but maybe not one firing twenty rounds a second.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:23:42 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #216 on: June 13, 2016, 02:52:33 PM »
That's kind of an awful mindset that I don't agree with at all. It could just have easily been one of the dozens of gay clubs in DC.

Background checks for gun purchases, man. A guy like this had ben raising red flags for years. This asshole still would have gotten a gun, but maybe not one firing twenty rounds a second.

45 rounds per second! And you can buy it in Florida  right off the shelf.  No waiting  period.  Amazing.

It's almost  like... We're asking for shit like this to happen.  I am constantly surprised that we're surprised.  We elect the people responsible for these laws, (or lack thereof).

As to the mindset.  Do you really feel that the DC area is representative of the US,  generally speaking?  It could not as easily been a gay club in DC because DC has been preparing for an organized assault since 9/12/01.

Bowser  just launched an initiative to give rebates to people who mount cameras tied into the cctv network.  We are a breath away from being one of the most surveilled cities in the world.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #217 on: June 13, 2016, 03:16:50 PM »
I agree that DC and NYC are sort of these weird Utopian police states. (And by Utopia, I mean *only* for the people living inside them. It's like the high-rise Dennis Hopper lived in in Romero's awful, but totally re-watchable Land of the Dead.) I'm saying no place is safe for the right psychopath with the right plan, particularly once you get away from Federal Triangle. I mean, look at the fucking Metro.

You haven't become lulled into a false privilege, have you? Have you become like the French colonists in that deleted scene from Apocalypse Now? Should I stop making the "Oh look, the peasants are revolting again? How quaint." jokes. (I'm just razzing you, BTW.)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #218 on: June 13, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »
The mere fact that no one has blown up the Metro yet says quite a bit.  Because,  honestly,  a downs syndrome paraplegic could cripple the Metro and rock the nation with,  maybe,  30 minutes worth of planning and enough Amazon reward points.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #219 on: June 13, 2016, 03:31:01 PM »
I'm truly shocked that in the "age of terrorism," we haven't seen more organized attacks on what the intelligence community calls "soft targets;" malls, night clubs, cafes, etc. You really want top put the fear into Americans? Hit them where they go every day. When it does happen, the people responsible are eventually found to be *shocked face* U.S. citizens with no real organizational terror ties.

I'm convinced that Islamic extremists are so blinded bytes tunnel vision of dogma, that they can never be successful. This is why ISIS makes me shrug. There's no way they can survive long term. (I'm convinced, BTW, that this is the U.S. military and intelligence plan for dealing with Islamic extremists. Just give them ten to fifteen years to totally eat themselves and self-destruct.)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #220 on: June 13, 2016, 03:41:12 PM »
What's actually happening is that threats are being nipped in the bud in ways that are even more terrifying than the threats themselves. The only way to break through, as you say, is if you're homegrown, like the Orlando guy. Homegrown terrorists always confuse the screen.

The actual organized terror attacks don't work post 9/11 because we learned. Like all good imperialistic Romans! We saw what they did and we adapted. So now we take their money, and we make agents disappear. Gitmo is just the public face of a large network of similar black sites (the estimate is that there are nine other black sites, per HuffPo and others). Do we ever ask who's in those other black sites? There are 80 people still in Gitmo, and they're just for show. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #221 on: June 30, 2016, 10:58:52 AM »
WaPo:

Fascinating Photos of Your Solar System

Um...which solar system are you guys in?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #222 on: August 23, 2016, 01:06:40 PM »
CNN:

Florida Disney alligator saw boy as prey

Well...yes. Of course. I mean, are you implying that it could have been premeditated murder after the gator got all riled up with his friends at the bar about small children playing in shallow water?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2017, 05:23:12 AM »
WaPo:

In the News  Mosul   Squirrels   Newborn kidnapping

Squirrels?!?!?  *click*

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »
I read that as one headline and thought something got lost in translation there.