Author Topic: Carl Hiaasen  (Read 1088 times)

Offline fajwat

• Wee Bin Hoker
  • Cthulu saves souls for tasty midnight binges.
Carl Hiaasen
« on: February 15, 2007, 09:45:25 AM »
A month or more ago, I had a long chat about novels with a co-worker who commutes down here occasionally from NY.  Today's the first time I've seen her in a while, and there's a paperback on my chair. Description below, emphasis mine. 

Anyone heard of this guy?  Book claims it's a NYT Bestseller but I guess I don't get out much.

Same co-worker is halfway through Game of Thrones on my recommendation.  I told her I'd stopped reading in the middle of book 3.

Quote from: Hiaasen website
Chaz Perrone might be the only marine scientist in the world who doesn't know which way the Gulf Stream runs. He might also be the only one who went into biology just to make a killing, and now he's found a wayødoctoring water samples so that a ruthless agribusiness tycoon can continue illegally dumping fertilizer into the endangered Everglades.When Chaz suspects that his wife, Joey, has figured out his scam, he pushes her overboard from a cruise liner into the night-dark Atlantic. Unfortunately for Chaz, his wife doesn't die in the fall.

Clinging blindly to a bale of Jamaican pot, Joey Perrone is plucked from the ocean by former cop and current loner Mick Stranahan. Instead of rushing to the police and reporting her husband's crime, Joey decides to stay dead and (with Mick's help) screw with Chaz until he screws himself.

As Joey haunts and taunts her homicidal husband, as Chaz's cold-blooded cohorts in pollution grow uneasy about his ineptitude and increasingly erratic behavior, as Mick Stranahan discovers that six failed marriages and years of island solitude haven't killed the reckless romantic in him, we're taken on a hilarious, full-throttle, pure Hiaasen ride through the warped politics and mayhem of the human environment, and the human heart.
"If it were up to me I would close Guantánamo not tomorrow but this afternoon... Essentially, we have shaken the belief that the world had in America's justice system... and it's causing us far more damage than any good we get from it."

-Colin Powell

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Carl Hiaasen
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 09:52:33 AM »
You never heard of Carl Hiaasen?  Jesus...he's the king of weird comedy/mystery.  A real Florida boy.    Kind of the natural heir to John D. MacDonald (who you should also get into, if you like Hiaason).  I really thrived on those two way back when, but sort of tired of Hiaasen after a while. It's like James Lee Burke...great writer, but the same sort of formula so, after the fifth or sixth book, you know the pulse of the story.