Children of the Sun > Newsday

no topic just bored....

<< < (2/335) > >>

nacho:

--- Quote from: fajwat on January 25, 2007, 10:11:52 PM ---and "Hey Beta, be careful of her now!  She's very small."

--- End quote ---

"Oh, I say.  Quite right.  Thank you for the reminder, old bean.  I would much like a bone now."

Nubbins:
Erections lasting longer than a week should be amputated by a doctor.

fajwat:
Off the top of my head I can think of a handful of families here in the US who would gladly use this law.  Then again, I'm not sure how many happy marriages I've seen up close.

--- Quote from: reuters ---RIYADH, Jan 28 (Reuters Life!) - A Saudi couple have been forced to divorce against their will by a top court because of arcane tribal customs which allowed the woman's family to seek a split, the pair's lawyer said on Sunday.

Abdul-Rahman Al-Lahem said the court had upheld a ruling from a lower court and backed the divorce on the basis of the man's family background.

"The appeals court in Riyadh has supported the divorce because of 'inappropriate lineage'," he said in a statement.

The family of the Saudi woman, called Fatima, began legal action in 2005, saying her husband was not of sufficiently prestigious tribal stock to marry her, and had lied about his tribal background.

The woman and her two children were imprisoned for refusing to return to her family's custody after the lower court first annulled the marriage. Custom in the conservative kingdom requires women to live with their families until marriage.

Saudi Arabia rules by an austere school of Islamic law often termed Wahhabism, and judges in family courts are themselves Wahhabi religious scholars.

Lahem said the ruling contradicted the principles of sharia, Islamic law, which objects to discrimination in terms of color, nationality and race.

The issue was dramatized in a popular comedy show aired in October that ridiculed the idea of tribal superiority, which is still strong in parts of the country.

--- End quote ---

fajwat:
Note that the comparison is between employed policemen and jailed mobsters. 

--- Quote ---SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korean gangsters get more satisfaction from their line of work than the police, according to a survey published on Tuesday in local dailies.

According to the survey conducted among 109 jailed mobsters by the Korean Institute of Criminal Justice, 79.3 percent of gangsters said they were somewhat or very satisfied with their life in organized crime.

About 65 percent of police said they enjoyed their profession, according to a separate survey.

South Korean gangsters make on average about 4 million won ($4,255) a month, which is typically higher than the pay for police.

The criminal justice survey said crime syndicates in South Korea get most of their money through traditional methods such as extortion, prostitution and gambling.

But mobsters have been looking to diversify their operations and are trying to muscle their way into shady stock deals or earn a share of corporate mergers and acquisitions, it said.

($1 = 940.1 Won)

--- End quote ---

Actually, yeah.  Prostitution's a much more traditional business than policing.

fajwat:
Take heart, Nacho!  The Aussies aren't any less loopy.

--- Quote ---SYDNEY, Jan 30 (Reuters Life!) - An Australian psychologist charged with indecently assaulting a patient told a court on Tuesday that forcing his female patient to wear a dog collar and call him master was within a psychologist's ethical guidelines.

Psychologist Bruce Beaton, 64, pleaded not guilty in the Western Australia District Court to four charges of indecently assaulting a 22-year-old woman in 2005, local media reported.

Beaton was arrested when police, who had been secretly video recording the session with the woman, heard whipping sounds, reported Australian Associated Press from the court.

Beaton told the court he resorted to master-servant treatment with his bulimic patient because other methods had failed. He said he thought forcing the woman to wear a dog collar and call him master would build a more trusting relationship.

He said such treatment was allowed by the Australian Psychological Society. "It is right within the ethical guidelines," Beaton told the court.

"I am not saying it would be all right if I hit her. I did not hit her," he said. The trial continues.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version