Author Topic: Blade: The Series  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
Blade: The Series
« on: August 01, 2006, 08:47:06 PM »
So, I totally scoffed when I first heard about this show, but man.  The pilot was better than Blade II.  Great introduction for new people and great thrills for fans.  Not that I'm a fan of Blade 2 or 3 and even the first movie is starting to wear on me a little, but I'm a fan of vampires and black men who wear shades at night and kill vampires.

Blade still doesn't have much of a personality.  He really can't because he's, you know, got a one-track mind.  But that's allieviated (sp?) by his new "back at the HQ/intel feeding" sidekick Shin and Krista.  Shin does crack wise, but it's never over the top (so far) and he's not a geeky HQ guy, he's more like a "I shop at Pac-Sun and I got a cell phone full of booty call numbers, but my real passion is fighting the vampire menace" vibe. 

Krista is the real story here.  Comes back a veteran from operation Iraqi Freedom, finds out her brother's been murdered.  So she goes from all-American twentysomething cutie emotional vet to resourceful cute supernatural investigator to gothed-out hot undercover agent for Blade.  She's like a badass Cindy Crawford.  I already like her better than Buffy because she's not super-emotional and she doesn't make stupid jokes and you don't feel like she would ever sign a letter "Kisses! Krista!" 

Plus there's the right balance of vampire gothic flavor plus weird science plus kung fu fighting and gunplay.  Basically the vampires are on the verge of creating a "vaccine" that will protect them from garlic, silver, and perhaps sunlight...in short, make them like Blade.  The fight scenes were great, and anyone thinking the gore would be turned down will be happily mistaken.  In the first 2 minutes there's a veritable samurai spray of blood.  And the pilot probably crammed in more big needle injections into 90 minutes than I've ever seen.  Well, aside from "Injection: The Movie!"  But that movie blew.

Anyway, hopefully it'll keep on full steam.

Anyone else seen it?
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Blade: The Series
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 09:18:06 PM »
Been avoiding it, for no reason at all.  So I'll hop on tonight.

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 10:33:05 PM »
hm. All the critics said this show sucked balls.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 10:48:12 PM »
hmm.  would these critics be 12 year olds on moviepoopchute.com?  are you a slave-sheep to these critics?  can't you ever, for one goddam minute, just trust your old buddy Cass when he says vampire slaying Shaft-wannabes are good stuff?

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 10:54:45 PM »
Critics are never wrong!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 12:09:32 AM »
What are "critics"?

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 12:55:50 AM »
critics are the voices in your head that tell you you'll never amount to anything and everything you do is doomed to fail or, at the least, doomed to obscurity.  they sound a lot like ex-girlfriends of mine. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 08:23:02 AM »
You've been dating my ex-girlfriends?

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 10:54:53 AM »
no, but your ex-girlfriends have been criticizing my ex-girlfriends AND enjoying Blade: the series for quite some time.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 11:48:28 AM »
They seem to have captured the spirit of Detroit. But with less black people.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 11:52:34 AM »
That's because Blade is so black he outshines every other black person in detroit.  Plus, vampires are racists.  They only make exceptions for hot asian chicks.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 02:21:32 PM »
Krista is hot.

I'm a little off-put by the accents sometimes. Since we don't really have Europeans so much in Detroit. You know.

I feel like they mis-cast Blade, but that's probably because I'm used to Wesley Snipes.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 03:04:32 PM »
Yeah, but Wesley, I always felt, was kind of mediocre.  Anyway, did a little research.  The writer of this show wrote (or helped write) all three Blade movies, which is weird.  It's like he's redeeming himself now.  Either that or Blade was always meant for something more episodic than a 90minute movie.  Anyway, he also wrote the Dark City screenplay and Batman Begins, and is currently writing the sequel, Dark Knight, Thor, the Flash, and Captain America movies.  Does he have the greatest job or what?  Actually, I don't envy him that much...I don't think I could figure out a way to make Captain America or Flash into a cool movie.  Thor though...that's got potential.  Why not just make an Avengers movie though?

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 03:08:27 PM »
Because trying to introduce all those characters at once to people who have no clue who the fuck Thor is, is nearly impossible. Fuck, just having to write a Captain America movie gives me chills. How the fuck do you write that in today's world? Especially when the Ultimates are the high-profile version of the Avengers, and you've got Cap'n going "DO YOU THINK THIS A ON MY HEAD STANDS FOR FRANCE?!" when told to surrender.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 05:50:30 PM »
Best description for a shaved vag ever: "Hardwood floor."

I love hardwood floors.