Author Topic: 19th C. Obits  (Read 1994 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
19th C. Obits
« on: July 28, 2006, 12:42:20 PM »
Since we have a contingent of non-SA (and even anti-SA) people here, I thought I'd share a thread and webpage that's kind of distracted me the last two hours:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wjmartin/dem-deth.htm

And, from SA:

My aunt, in the course of doing genealogical research, stumbled on a website listing of late 19th century obituaries from Sault Ste. Marie - a city that straddles the Michigan/Ontario border, and my hometown. Unlike today's vaguely-worded, pastel-coloured "loving tributes," Victorian death notices were often gruesomely detailed.
There are lots of funny, poignant, and unnerving death notices in this list. Here are a few of my favourites:

quote:
Saturday, April 22nd 1899 Page 4
Wolverine Waifs
A sad suicide was committed Tuesday Morning at Menominie
Mrs. Chas. Peterson, a woman about 30 years of age, the wife of a kind husband and mother of two small children cut her throat from, ear to ear with a bread knife, severing the windpipe and esophagus. Three doctors worked on her nearly four hours but could not save her life. The woman had been in a diseased state of mind ever since the birth of a babe last fall.

quote:
Saturday, March 18th 1899 Page 7
Burned to Death
Agnes Meehan, of Donaldson, Meets a Horrible Death
Agnes, the 8-year-old daughter of John Meehan, of Donaldson, died Saturday after fifteen hours of terrible suffering from burns received the night before. Her clothing caught fire from a flickering flame of a lamp which she was carrying and which had no chimney. - - - The funeral occurred Tuesday at Donaldson where the remains were interred.

quote:
October 17, 1891 Page 4
The State of Superior
Nils Lundstrom, a lumberman, was found dead on the railroad track at Republic last week, with a bullet hole in his back. The motive for the murder is not known and the assassin has not been discovered.

quote:
Saturday, August 14, 1897 Part 1 Page 8
Out of the Wrong Bottle
Dr. Hunter Took a Dose of Carbolic Acid and Died
The residents of the two Soo's were shocked beyond measure Sunday, when it became generally known that Dr. Hunter, of the Canadian Soo, had suddenly died that morning from the effects of a dose of carbolic acid which he had taken by mistake at 3 o'clock in the morning. Dr. Hunter was called up to attend a patient at the Grand View Hotel. He visited him and went immediately across the street to his brother's branch drug store to make up a prescription. The doctor had about three weeks been suffering from an internal trouble for which he had been taking occasional doses of aromatic spirit of amonia with a few drops of chlordyne.------- no sooner had he swallowed the fatal dose than he discovered his mistake. He said "My God", what have I done and called upon the assistant, Mr. Blaine, for an emetic which was immediately presented to him, but, to late, as the throat had closed. He went out to the sidewalk and sat down on the edge of it, where he died a few minutes later in the arms of his faithful attendant, Richard Pringle.----------------- The remains were accompanied to the late doctor's home at Clarksburg, near Meaford, where he was finally interred yesterday, by his sorrowing mother Mrs. George Hunter ------

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
Re: 19th C. Obits
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 12:47:21 PM »
Alright...I'll bite...

SA?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 12:58:38 PM »
Somethingawful.com

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »
SA.com has went to shit these last couple of years.

Lowtax was their only decent writer and now, he too, is shit.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 01:23:49 PM »
Anyway... The point is the weird obits.

I mean --

Thursday, May 12, 1887 Page 4
A terrible accident occurred in the rolling mill of the Hubbard Iron company, at Hubbard,, Ohio, shortly after 2 o'clock on the morning of the 6th. Engineer Griffith Phillipps, aged 29 years in passing around the ore crusher oiling the bearings, was caught in the wheels and dragged into the crusher. He was mangled out of all semblance of humanity, the flesh adhering to the clogs. He leaves a wife and 3 children.

Hope the family wasn't reading the paper that day.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 01:26:50 PM by nacho »

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:49:34 PM »
He was mangled out of all semblance of humanity, the flesh adhering to the clogs.

That is one of the more disturbing things I've ever read.
8=o tation

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 02:00:04 PM »
I just like the name "Richard Pringle". That's awesome.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 03:54:40 PM »
Sensitive guy...

November 21, 1891 Page 7
The East.
On seeing his mother drunk William Ruddy, 26 years old, of Wilkesbarre, Pa., committed suicide by pouring kerosene oil on his clothes and setting it afire.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 03:56:48 PM »
November 14, 1891 Page 4
The State of Superior.
Jacob Hungistro, a Finlander, was killed by a knife thrust dealt by Jacob Reini, near Newberry, Monday night of last week.... He was placed on Trial last Friday charged with manslaughter, convicted and sentenced Saturday and taken to Marquette prison, Sunday, where he will remain fifteen years. He is only 22 years of age, but is evidently a hardened villain, as the only remark he made when sentenced was, "Well, it'll be a hell of a long time between pay days."

November 14, 1891 Page 4
Current Notes.
E. A. White, of Boston, who died recently, left about $500,000 to his widow and an umbrella to his daughter's husband. Though thus provided with something to put up for a rainy day the daughter is to contest the will.

Huh?

November 14, 1891 Page 2
Foreign Intelligence.
At Montague, Mich., George A. Wiard died after sleeping since May 1. He weighed fifty pounds at the time of his death.

Some good names for you, Cass:

November 7, 1891 Page 8
West And South
A mob hanged Larkin Nix at Camilla, Ga., for criminally assaulting a girl named Mize.

Ugh...
November 7, 1891 Page 4
The State of Superior.
The six year old son of Thomas Atwell, of Ishpeming, was killed while playing on a car which was side tracked. He was seated on the brake wheel and the brake was released by a companion, starting the car, which bumped against another, the collision hurling the little fellow from his seat just in time to be caught between the bumpers as the cars rebounded and came together the second time.He was crushed in a terrible manner.

October 31, 1891 Page 2
West And South.
The death of Miss Nancy Gish occurred at Chillicothe, O., aged 69 years. She had been a bedridden invalid for fifty years, and forty years ago made the shroud in which she was buried.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 04:08:14 PM by nacho »

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 07:13:02 PM »
I knew a Mize once, back in elementary school.  God, these all sound awful.  No wonder no one ever learned how to read back then.
You ain't a has been if you never was.