Author Topic: Babylon 5  (Read 5981 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Babylon 5
« on: July 24, 2006, 03:09:49 PM »
Babylon 5: the Return?

Quote from: Ain't It Cool News
Last week on the moderated newsgroup for Babylon 5, J. Michael Straczynski (jms) hinted at a big Babylon 5 announcement. Even without that, I was going to attend the panel. The panel occurred on Saturday, 22 July. Heres a breakdown on the information jms said was on the horizon.

As already reported on AICN, jms sold a movie script to be directed by Ron Howard presently called Changling. To show how small Hollywood can be, jms called Ron Howard Mr. Howard in a conversation about the script. Ron said No, you hired my dad to be on your show [Babylon 5], you can call me Ron. Despite working consistently in Hollywood as a scriptwriter and producer for 20 years, this large deal made jms an overnight star in the minds of corporate. It may be this single event launching many of these other events.

Jms has produced a 12 episode radio program for the Canadian Broadcasting Company called The Adventures of Apocalypse Al. Jms described it as a science fiction comedy in the vein of Hitchhikers Guide.

Touchstone will be producing a pilot that was pitched last year called Borrowed Lives. He did not go into details about this series.

The comic book Rising Stars will be developed as a series by Sam Raimis production company. This has me very excited as I enjoy jmss take on the Super Hero genre. Even with Heroes and 4400 in production, I think Rising Stars can rise to the top.

Two unnamed studios are currently bidding on the (movie?) rights to the Midnight Nation book. Midnight Nation is a stellar graphic novel. I hope this one comes through.

The one shot comic Dream Police has been pitched to a major studio. Negotiations are ongoing to determine of jms will write the script. I was not impressed with Dream Police. It played exactly like a Dragnet of the Dreamworld, so others may like it.

The biggest announcement I'll paraphrase: Every 6 months, I get together with WB to discuss what to do something with B5. The DVD sales have raised over 500 million in revenue. Now, I produced B5s 110 episodes at about 90 million dollars. Somehow, B5 is still 50 million in the red. Every time I mention that to WB they say We made a good deal, huh? Anyway, they asked if I wanted to do a feature film but I declined mainly because I can't yet picture structuring a B5 movie as long as [Andreas Katsulas] and [Richard Biggs] insist on staying dead. Maybe in a year or two I'll be able to but right now I can't do something big and those two roles will NOT be recast.

So I thought about it, and I suggested a bunch of short films. Little mini-movies or an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe. I pick a character and develop an hour-long story around that character. Stories that I wanted to tell during the B5 series but never had the chance to develop. They said, Okay. I said I wanted complete creative control. Do not change my words that I write, and I want that in writing. They said, Okay. And I want to direct. They said, Okay.

This project was green lit less than two weeks ago. Its going to happen. Production starts in September in Vancouver, Canada. Post-production will occur from October to February with a release of the first three anthologies in the second quarter of 2007.

In the comic book world, jms will be doing Bullet Points, a six-issue Marvel tale concerning the impact one bullet and one death can have on the Marvel Universe. Jms describes that the bullet that killed the scientist that gave Steve Rogers the super soldier serum. He has the scientist killed just 24 hours earlier. The bullet that killed the scientist also killed a young MP by the name of Ben Parker. The issues cover the sixty years after that event. Sounds like a macro What If, but the idea of Ben Parker dying in WWII brings a big OOOHHH! from the audience. Jms will also be doing something about a guy with a hammer (come on, we know its Thor).

During the question and answer portion of the panel, not too much was revealed. There are two enticing tid-bits. Jms had a conversation with a director. The director really wants to get into doing television (ironic as jms started doing television to get into comics). So they developed an idea for a television show thats never been thought of before. Jms refused to mention the director, but he said the director is one of the top five directors today. For some reason Im thinking M. Night Shyamalan, but it could just as easily be Ron Howard.

The other tidbit dealt with the question will there be a B5 computer game soon? Jms said he could not talk about it now, but that in two weeks expect something big to be announced. He hinted that if you ever wanted to live in the B5 universe, you might get your chance. Now, either thats a super holobrothel or a MMORPG. Im hoping for the former.

Lastly, he may have single handedly changed the mindset about Print on Demand Publishing. Originally, print on demand was a way for anyone to print a book for like 5 of their friends to read. No one serious would have used it. For the last year, jms has been selling collections of his Babylon 5 scripts on www.babylon5scripts.com via cafepress website. That deal has made cafepress over a million dollars thus far. Due to the success, other authors are looking into using print on demand.

This was an enjoyable panel with LOTS of information put out. Jms, despite describing himself as having a fear of talking in front of people, handles himself well in front of a crowd. Never Surrender Dreams.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
Re: Babylon 5
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 07:38:09 PM »
*snore*

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:14:49 PM »
I watched the first four seasons of B5. Thank God I was doing other things, because B5 sucks.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 11:05:29 PM »
Yeah, it's rough.  Love the idea, though.  The original one, not the dead horse flogging here.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 12:07:39 AM »
I watched the first four seasons of B5. Thank God I was doing other things, because B5 sucks.

what?  if it sucked after one season, why did you watch the other three?  and what were these other things?  putting BSG bookcovers on your textbooks?
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 02:50:41 AM »
fuck you, bitch.

no, it was studying Arabic. shabootdha.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 08:24:51 AM »
You watch the other three seasons in the hopes that you'll get into the fabled Five Year Plan that drove B5 and made it oh so different than other sci-fi, etc etc.  And it is there, but it's used as an excuse by the fans to justify the fact that they, too, sat through the whole series.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 11:31:17 AM »
ahh, ok.  suckered in by the marketing!

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 09:14:21 PM »
In retrospect, I think I got to the end of the big battle, and that was it. I don't remember if it was season 3 or 4.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 09:29:37 PM »
in retrospect, you're a huge nerd.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 09:35:10 PM »
I read Marshall McLuhan, so I'll let it go as a compliment.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 09:51:18 PM »
i've never heard of Marshall McLuchan, so I'll call you a nerd again.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 02:53:21 PM »
Babylon 5: The Lost Tales started production today

Quote from: Warner Bros. Press Release
WARNER HOME VIDEO TO RELEASE
BRAND NEW “BABLYON 5”
MADE FOR VIDEO IN 2007

BABLYON 5: THE LOST TALES TO BEGIN PRODUCTION
NOVEMBER 13, 2006

BURBANK, CA, November 13, 2006 – Warner Home Video (WHV) and Warner Bros. Television (WBTV) have announced the start of production of “Babylon 5: The Lost Tales,” a made-for-video movie that will be targeted towards the Babylon 5 loyal audience and science-fiction fans in general . The announcement was jointly made by Jeff Brown, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Non-theatrical Franchise, Warner Home Video and Gregg Maday, Senior Vice President, Movies and Miniseries, WBTV.

WHV will be the home entertainment distributor for this made-for-DVD release which will include two new Babylon 5 stories collectively entitled “Voices of the Dark” in one film plus exclusive behind the scenes content. The stories will be written and directed by executive producer and original “Babylon 5” creator J. Michael Straczynski. Executive producer Doug Netter also returns in that role. Actors from the original series that have signed on to participate in the project include Bruce Boxleitner (“President John Sheridan”), Tracy Scoggins (“Captain Elizabeth Lochley”) and Peter Woodward (“Galen”).

Babylon 5 is a top selling franchise on DVD to date with over $44 million in consumer sales. Launched in February 1993, the award winning series was a top rated show on television with more than 13.7 million viewers in its debut season. After its original planned five-year run – introducing the concept of a five year arc before other TV series began to use multi-season arcs -- the show went on to enjoy 9 successful years in syndication and Cable on the Sci-Fi Channel and TNT. It also spurred the creation of five feature length movies based on the series including The Gathering, In the Beginning, Thirdspace, River of Souls and A Call to Arms, as well as the limited series Crusade. Babylon 5 has received numerous awards including two Emmys, two consecutive Hugo Awards, the Ray Bradbury Award for Dramatic Screenwriting from the Science Fiction Writers of America, five English Media ‘Cult TV’ Awards, the E Pluribus Unum Award from the American Cinema Foundation, the Sci-Fi Universe Reader Choice Award for Best TV Series and was the winner of the TV Guide Poll for Best Sci-Fi Show.

“We are very excited to be releasing this new made-for-video release filled with original content for ‘Babylon 5’, one of the most successful science fiction series of all time,” said Jeff Brown. “This popular TV show which has been off the air for a few years continues to have a strong loyal fan base that is hungry for more content. This is the first time we’re utilizing one of our popular TV franchises as a made-for-video title, and we have a strong commitment to the growth of this sector.”

“It’s great to be reunited with Joe and Doug once again,” commented Maday. “I have always been very proud to be associated with their wonderful work on Babylon 5 and I’m confident the “Lost Tales” will add to the legacy of this very special franchise.”

On an immense space station built by the Earth Alliance in the 2250s, the crew of Babylon 5 are charged with maintaining the peace among the various alien races by providing a sanctuary where grievances and negotiations can be worked out among duly appointed ambassadors. Aside from its diplomatic function, Babylon 5 also serves as a military post for Earth and a port of call for travelers, traders, businessmen, criminals, and Rangers. The story of The Lost Tales picks up several years after the events of its original story, and follows several of its major characters in new adventures set against the backdrop of the Babylon 5 universe.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 03:08:33 PM »
I can't feel my toes...

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 04:08:37 PM »
From AICN, home of Jesus' Corpse and other tall tales.

B5: The Lost Tales News

-JMS reitterated that TLT came about after WB asked him if he wanted to do a theatrical B5 film, but JMS declined since enough time hasn't pasted since the death of Andreas Katsulas and Richard Biggs, and it's still hard for him to think about a B5 movie so long as Andreas and Richard "insist on staying dead", but that he'll be able to sit down and get a theatrical film made eventually, but can do these smaller stories in TLT in the interim.

-The Lost Tales Vol 1 is two stories set in the same 48 hour period- one with Sheridan going from Minbar to B5 for an event regarding the 10th anniversary of the Alliance, which the other is about Colonel Lochley on the station waiting and preparing for Sheridan to arrive, while dealing with the trouble that arises there.

-He showed 6-8 video blogs from TLT set (rough versions, at least, as some are still awaiting the FX shots to be finished so they can do comparisons), though it being Joe, most is him goofing off, but you get a look at some of the sets as they're being built, and there's a talk with Bruce, Tracy and Peter (Peter's hilarious, saying something to the effect of "and, for Bruce and Tracy and others, working with them, it's real chance for them to finally get it right!"). Another was of the actor playing Prince Regent Vintari, showing both some of his screentest and of an actual scene with him and Sheridan (Vintari: "Emperor Mollari said he would trust you with his life- then he took it back and said he would trust you with MY life, as he had plans for next week.")- he basicly talked about the screentest and how, despite never watching B5 beforehand (though became a fan of it after he looked it up), nailed the Centauri accent without knowing. And though it's not said directly in the movie itself, JMS confirmed that Vintari is Cartagia's son.

-It'll probably be another year/year and a half before TLT Volume 2 comes out, depending on sales. He also said that we might finally see more of the Telepath War in future installments

-They'll have a trailer to show at the San Diego Comic-Con.

-Release date for TLT is July 27th, i believe.

As a final treat, JMS showed rough cuts of the opening title sequence for The Lost Tales, including new music by Christpher Franke. It goes like this:

-Begins with the decommisioning of Babylon 5, with the ships moving away from the station as it explodes while the Sleeping in Light theme plays (he subsequently showed a cut lacking the music but containing an almost-finished version of this sequence- it looks gorgeous) and a chunk of B5 flies right into the camera.

-We start following debris of B5 through space as a date at the bottom of the screen clocks back from 2281 to 2271 until the debris reforms back into Babylon 5 and the camera goes into the main dcking bay doors ala the end of the Season 3 title sequence. Over the course of this sequence, as a tribute to Andreas, plays the following G'Kar lines:

"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."

-Then kicks in a series of "faction portraits", for lack of a better term, similar in style to the B5 DVD menus, with a planet in the background, and near-fully body images of various characters representing that world/faction fading in dramaticly in teh foreground. Over all this plays music that's reminiscent of the Legend of the Rangers main theme, to a degree, before it segues into the main Season 5+ Babylon 5 theme. The portraits are:

-B5, with Sheridan, Garibaldi and, I think, Lochley.

-Centauri Prime, with Londo and Vir (and a shot of the palace off to the side)

-Minbar, with Delenn and Lennier

-Narn, with G'Kar

-Vorlon Homeworld (?! Might have been Z'ha'dum, but it went by fast I couldn't tell), with Kosh (not Ulkesh).