Author Topic: Wonder Woman  (Read 31075 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Wonder Woman
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 10:47:31 AM »
The chick's pretty, though!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
See, I would love to get my hands on the Joss Whedon script that Warner Brothers rejected. Yrah, it's probably 'Buffy II' but I can't imagine it being worse than this.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »
Split our WW TV show conversation off from the Superheroes thread, merged it with our Wonder Woman thread, AND moved it to TV since things to be speeding along with this.

Cary Elwes, who romanced the title character in “The Princess Bride,” will now do the same with Princess Diana, having landed the role of Steve Trevor in David E. Kelley’s “Wonder Woman” pilot for NBC.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »
Split our WW TV show conversation off from the Superheroes thread, merged it with our Wonder Woman thread, AND moved it to TV since things to be speeding along with this.

With all this booze in my system, it took me 72 seconds to figure out WTF.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
Well, it's not necessarily the most well structured sentence I've ever written.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 11:17:27 PM »
Palicki in her new WW digs! I'm down I guess... though the script still sucks.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/18/wonder-woman-adrianne-palicki-photo/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:03:15 AM by RottingCorpse »

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 03:52:20 AM »
That looks AWFUL. 
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
It looks great as long as it comes off in every episode for a hardcore sex scene.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
There is a "Sexy Suzy's Fetish Clothing Catalog" feel to it, eh? On the flip side, Lynda Carter's "Star Spangled Panties" probably wouldn't really work either. I'm not exactly sure what would. Also, part of the problem is Palicki. Sure, she's hot, but she doesn't exactly scream Wonder Woman to me. Would Kate Beckensale have made that costume look any better?

Could they have actually made her chest plate more like Roman armor, or given her a "skirt" with the roman soldier loincloth vibe to play up the goddess thing? Being a pilot, there's still a somewhat limited budget as it's being produced on spec.

I guess none of it really matters because if you make an attempt to read the script review above, you'll see it's a turd dipped in shit. The costume is the least of this show's worries.

This has disaster written all over it which makes me kind of sad, because they're blowing a great opportunity.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:08:25 AM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »
What's the classic Wonder Woman outfit look like? A GIS makes me think it was always the star-spangled panties...

And how could a modern day Wonder Woman fly? Can't keep her with the Nazis and as a humble secretary at OSS, can we?

I think it's actually a franchise that does not have legs unless you keep it in the 30's and 40's. That's what did the most harm in the original series: Season one: Nazis and OSS. Season 2: Oh, what, it's the modern day? Or not? Or... What?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 11:10:45 AM »
That's been the adaptation problem all along, no? The comics have gotten around this by putting WW in a world filled with mythology and fantasy. They read like the Illiad half the time. That shit would be pricey though.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2011, 11:25:54 AM »
There's a much larger conversation here about the relevancy of comics (and why). Batman (and, to a lesser degree, Superman) can exist because they're based largely in made-up cities. Gotham and Metropolis can be Any City at Any Time, or just fantastically outside of the modern day's scope because, well, they're fantasy settings to begin with.

Wonder Woman's more of a fish out of water/under cover thing, no? And way, way outdated in terms of the sexual revolution and all that. Electra-Woman and Dyna-Girl are more liberated than any version of Wonder Woman.

You know, ever since Unbreakable, I've wondered why movies don't just simply create relevant modern-day superheroes. Not bullshit like The Cape, where he's aping a made-up generic superhero... But just misfits of evolution with limited, realistic powers. Yet another chapter in the human experience, you know? Willis and Jackson were classic super-hero and super-villain, but also completely approachable and human.

I guess we've seen it in Heroes and No Ordinary Family, as well, but both of those shows also lacked the human element. How would people really react to their powers? Willis and Jackson sort of got it, didn't they? The only one with real power was Willis, and he was a humble schmoe with no ambition. He wasn't a Peter Parker great power/great responsibility guy... Instead of being driven by his gift to do greater things, he was driven by the simple need to right wrongs. His real power was his humanity not his super-power. We never see that in superhero stories.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
We are getting down to the bottom of the barrel, and they know it.  It's why Marvel is rebooting spider-man instead of trying to force Ant-Man or She-Hulk on us.  Initially this was all about exploiting untapped resources.  But now that the most popular ones have been tapped, you can either recycle them again, which wears down on the public, or try to come up with new ones.  Here's the hard part: Marvel and DC have been coming up with new superheroes and villains for 80 years.  So it's hard to create something new and not get accused of being a rip off.  I never watched more than two episodes of Heroes, but I could give you all of their "real" corollaries from the comics.  Granted, the general public doesn't care like we do, but at a certain point this clumsy machine has to give out and Hollywood is going to have to give us something new.  Hell, it's so bad that few new things that arise are pre-judged to be based on a comic and sort of have to play by superhero movie rules (i.e. SuckerPunch). 

On the other end, though, stuff like 300, Walking Dead, Scott Pilgrim, 30 Days of Night, etc. keep getting picked up because it's beneficial for everyone.  Hollywood has half of their work done for them, and the small fry gets to sell more books once 25% of the movie's fanbase finds out they were comics.  And offbeat, non-hero stuff like that is in an almost infinite abundance. 
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2011, 10:54:01 PM »
On the other end, though, stuff like 300, Walking Dead, Scott Pilgrim, 30 Days of Night, etc. keep getting picked up because it's beneficial for everyone.  Hollywood has half of their work done for them, and the small fry gets to sell more books once 25% of the movie's fanbase finds out they were comics.  And offbeat, non-hero stuff like that is in an almost infinite abundance. 

I agree with that summation.

And both of you seem to be saying that it's the superhero genre rather than comic book/graphic novel adaptations that have started to feel stale. Stuff like Scott  Pilgrim, 300, Road to Perdition, et al, is actually quite refreshing.

WW has a strange history. She started out as a WWII hero inspired by greek mythology and bondage. (Her creator, William Moulton Marsten was also the inventor of the polygraph machine, and was apparently way into S&M, which is why WWW is always tied up, and tying people up in those early comics. Google that fucker. He was something else.)

In the 70s she became a sort of Rosie the Riveter figure for the second wave feminists. I think so much of the problem in adapting her is the Women's Studies issue; they're worrying way too hard about pissing off feminists. I agree with Nacho that as a feminits symbol, she's kind fo dated. I remember a great conversation I had with a firmly left-leaning feminist in which she talked about how stereotypically "girly" WW was "with her tiara, bracelets, and hocus pocus rope."

Again, the comics seem to have escaped all this but making her world largely one filled with fantasy. I mean her main nemesis is Ares, the Greek God of War.

Is she relevant? are any of these characters relevant? Spider-Man works because teen angst almost never goes out of style. Batman works because at essence, his stories are detective/crime stories. (Though interestingly enough it's only with the Nolan films, that Hollywood has truly grasped this.) I actually think WW is more relevant than Superman. To me, that's a character that just needs to be retired. Even in the comics they've basically made him a demi-god. How much further can you take the most powerful being in the universe?

With WW, I think there's some possibility depending on how it's handled. However, Ally McBeal II is not the direction to go.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2011, 11:03:37 PM »
I'm hoping Walking Dead leads the way for a new breed of comic adaptations... Not the 300 level freakouts, but TV series that play out at a more casual pace. Get Ex Machina and Y a multi-year series.