Author Topic: Comix Thursday  (Read 44512 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Comix Thursday
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 11:34:36 PM »
Anyway, with Ellis being out of the running since Planetary gets random snore updates, and as Y has become like the middle of the OG GI Joe series where Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were trying to find themselves and Cobra Commander became a used car salesman, and 100 Bullets going back to a slow dance, and Walking Dead becoming mind-numbingly stupid, I'm an Ex Machina and Lucifer man.  Anyone else on those?

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 01:39:50 AM »
I'm still loving Y, you son of a bitch. As for the Walking Dead, I'm starting to agree with you. This new character who's the former army leader is dumb, and if you're going to rip-off a character from 28 Days Later you should at least make him a good rip-off or as good as the character you ripped off.

Also, I've been on Ex Machina since almost the beginning; I've got all three TPBs and I've read the latest two arcs(the Annual Special two-issue series and the four-parter before that with the scene where you can see Journal in a nightie with nipple and areole everywhere).

I've heard about Lucifer, but I know it's an offshoot of Sandman, and goddamn Neil Gaiman for making that series so fucking convoluted that the only way you can read it is to have the entire series so you can reference what happens. Jeeeesus. I stopped reading somewhere around book 8 and I know I'll never be able to get back into it without reading everything all over again. I'm still keeping up on Hellboy, even though its progressing more slowly. I'm in it for Mignola's art.

The thing is, Nacho, I'm tired of bullshit story arcs like Ellis has done in The Authority and Planetary. I'm tired of bullshit conspiracy theories and shadow governments and all this fucking multi-dimensional BULLLLLLLSHIT. Jesus. If I never hear of another parallel universe ever again, it would be too soon. It's like every single conspiracy theorist started feeding his ideas to comic book writers and they're like "hey that's cool lets add some superheroes that are the disembodied spirit of an age or psychic supergods reincarnated". Fuck that noise. Oh, and I've read almost all of the Ultimate Marvel universe, which made me realize a few things:

1. BENDIS CANNOT GET OVER HOW FUCKING CUTE HIS DIALOGUE IS. But what he doesn't realize is that he is not Joss Whedon nor Vaughan. I feel sorry for the artist and letterer that Bendis has to work with. Poor bastards.
2. Mark Millar is either ON or he is way way off. ON: Wanted. OFF: First Ultimate X-Men run.

I just downloaded Gotham Central and I'm really enjoying it. Also, Runaways is another one of Vaughan's properties that's solid gold, even though it's aimed at younger audiences.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 07:47:08 AM »
I'm not turning my back on Y, but I think it is obviously in the opening stages of Act Three since that fucking stand up and shout surprise shooting of you know who.  Everything and everybody is being positioned.  In comics, I find that a little ho hum because you're only getting a brief snip every X weeks.  It's like a monthly half hour show being as involved as BSG. 

That said, it's rare for a comic to even manage it as far as Y has and still have vim and vigor enough to cause that complaint.

Walking Dead was always ripping shit off.  The guy has no creative ability, and it shows.  There are about a thousand saving graces and potential storylines that excite me in that series but the mistakes he's making outnumber them greatly.

The secret for Lucifer -- read the very short Wikipedia entry on the comic which gives you everything you need to know from Sandman.  Sadly, the entry spoils a major storyline that starts around the 70th issue.  Given that you are in the Sandman universe, though, it's kind of interesting having that plotline spoiled because you want to see how it gets there and, after the first few issues, it's pretty much clear that it's going to happen anyway with Lucifer himself expressing the same interest as I just did.  How's this game going to work this time?

There are occasional hints to previous relationships in Sandman, but they're properly explained, no real Stuff You Need To Know goes on and the Wikipedia entry gives you what you need to know for the What The Hell moments. By virtue of Gaiman not being involved, it's a much more linear and interesting story with truly endearing characters than Sandman was.  Zing.

I'm supposed to get into Runaways but I keep forgetting to do so.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 03:20:07 PM »
I judge a series' impact on how much I'm going to miss the characters after the series has ended. By that measure, I'm going to miss Y immensely, and Ex Machina even more. (Y volume 8: November 1, Ex Machina Volume 4 first week of December).

Meanwhile, Astonishing X-Men, despite some critics complaint that it was faltering, seems to still be going strong in my opinion, and the Ultimates arc that Millar is running in the Ultimate Universe is very, very good and deserves some attention, Nach. As for 100 Bullets, again, I read the first three TPBs and I'm not impressed - on the other hand, Human Target is fantastic, if a bit of a mental strain when read on the computer.

Have you read any of the Powers' arc with Bendis? I've read the first book; it's okay. I kind of like the art and I'm curious to see if it develops more. Also, I want to get more of the BPRD issues (I need volume 4 and Volume 6 for Hellboy).

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 03:34:49 PM »
Nope, haven't gotten to Powers yet.  I'm woefully behind.  Still haven't read the two Ex Machina's that came out while I was away.  Did a Y come out since May 23rd?

I don't read the superhero stuff, but I'll give the Ultimates a look.  If I've never touched it before, can I get into the Millar arc easily?  What should I know and where should I begin?

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 03:58:16 PM »
The Ultimates arc is fairly self explanatory; just read the basic Wikipedia entry. I didn't know jack shit about the Avengers but I figured it out fairly easily.

As of last DCP update on the torrents, Y was up to issue 46. The last TPB was issue 42, so you've got 43-46 out right now online. I think Vaughan said on his website Y ends on the 60th issue, so that's 10 TPBs. As for Ex Machina, I have issues from 17-20 and the two annual specials, which'll be the fourth TPB(six issues = one TPB), if you want any of those, just let me know.

The Ultimates is great because there's spousal abuse, sex, double-crossing galore, some humorous commentary on superheroes. It's decent. Far better than Millar's work on the Ultimate X-Men, as I said before. And you've read Wanted, right? That's one of Millar's best, but I think the Ultimates is a slightly toned down version of Wanted in the Marvel Universe.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 06:38:50 PM »
Ex Machina 21 came out on the 21st.  Looks like I'm two behind for Y...

I'll  work on the Ultimates, then.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 06:43:31 PM »
powers started to suck after a year, not that it was that strong to begin with.  Did you read Torso or Jinx yet?  Those are the classic Bendis. 

Anyway, i just finished Black Hole and it was really really good if you like that stuff.  You know, teenagers in 70s Seattle suburbs contracting STDs that turn them into mutants trying to figure out life and love.  And tons and tons of yonic imagery.  Mmm...yonic imagery.

yeah, and Gotham Central is really good, but i haven't finished it yet.  Not as good as the first year or two of Gotham Knights though.

You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 10:11:36 PM »
Question: I was at Iowa and I heard Chris Offutt lecturing, he mentioned this series called Concrete... you guys ever heard of it? Decent? It's about some guy who's a writer who turned into a creature made of concrete, kind of like the Thing.

I read through the first three books that Brubaker wrote. I kind of like Brubaker; he's  no Vaughan but he's decent. I'm going through his Winter Soldier arc on Captain America mostly because of Epting, but I like his characterization of Captain America. I think there's something that can be interesting with Captain America.

Is there any updates on the supposed third volume of Moore's LXG?

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 10:20:19 PM »
i've heard of Concrete but never read it.  Third volume?  Haven't heard anything about it, but I thought the end of Vol. 2 made it sound like it was pretty much over. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2006, 10:39:51 PM »
Hey, Offutt was a SFWP judge!  He's a fucking fruitcake asshole.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 03:37:12 AM »
Really? Small fuckin' world. I wasn't particularly impressed with him either, but he wrote a story for The Escapist and supposedly is working on a Batman story idea where Batman gets lost in Kentucky and the whole story revolves around Batman not being in Gotham or having his costume. So we'll see how that goes...

As for LXG, I thought it was over too but I heard rumors about a continuation.

Good "superhero" stuff to check out, Nacho:
Kingdom Come - Mark Waid
Secret Identity - Kurt Busiek
Marvels - Kurt Busiek
anything from Kurt Busiek's Astro City storyworld
Wanted - Mark Millar
Vaughan's run on Ultimate X-Men isn't bad.
Anything on Daredevil done by Frank Miller is good

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 09:54:43 AM »
Question: I was at Iowa and I heard Chris Offutt lecturing, he mentioned this series called Concrete... you guys ever heard of it? Decent? It's about some guy who's a writer who turned into a creature made of concrete, kind of like the Thing.

Concrete is old school indy stuff, not really actiony as much as introspective. Worth reading.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2006, 11:57:53 AM »
release date for TPBs I'm getting:

November 1st:
Y: The Last Man : Kimono Dragons  TPB #8
Gotham Central: The Quick and the Dead TPB #4

December 6th:
Ex Machina: The March to War TPB #4

I just read through the first two graphic novels of Gotham Central and they reminded me of how fucking great that series was. I think later tonight I'm going to go get the third trade paperback, where they have the Joker assassinating everyone. Sometime, also, I need to pick up The Long Halloween tpb.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 12:03:52 PM »
Gotham Central was terrific.  Too bad, like all great things, they pulled the plug on it.  Is it considered in the main continiuity?  Like, do they deal with Montoya's homosexuality in the main books? 

Loved when they pulled down the signal.  Fucking great series.  The antidote to Jeph Loeb's crazy stupid shit post-Dark Victory.  Matt, have you read Batman: Year 100?  Awesomeness.  I don't know if it's in TPB yet. 

Also, the Eisner award winners were announced:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_eisners_06rcv.shtml#awards

I think Alan Moore got his like 69th award or something.