Author Topic: Pearl Forrester  (Read 1852 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Pearl Forrester
« on: April 30, 2006, 05:26:39 PM »
Pearl Forrester (Mary Jo Pehl) Dr. Forrester's horrible mother appeared once in season six (episode 607 Bloodlust). The character returned in season seven as a replacement for TV's Frank (Frank Conniff), and then became the main villain in the Sci Fi era. This is the only time a guest star was made into a regular character. (Professor Bobo and Observer were added as regulars from their initial appearances.)

So I remember, in the waning days of MST3K (the last two years aired on the Sci-Fi channel), really hating the introduction of Pearl.  When she finally stepped into the spotlight, the show's skits had turned into a complicated sort of subplot -- the SOL was now on the run from Pearl, who followed in her RV with Bobo and the Observer.   The more involved those skits became, the more I thought the show was straying from the otherwise simple "make fun of a movie" premise.  Lots of folks felt that way...

For the last year, though, I've been downloading the episodes.  Not the Rhino DVD's -- I buy those, to support the cause.  But I've been downloading the Tv captures floating out there.  Just for the nostalgia.  MST3K isn't something you should watch on a glitzy DVD.  Like the movies, they're meant for grim and dirty VHS viewing in a basement.  I enjoy the downloads far more than the DVD's. 

Returning to MST3K seven years later (I rarely watch the downloads because I really have to keep up with cutting my thighs), I find that I've come to appreciate Pearl, and those last two seasons.  There's a sort of self-mocking style that I didn't notice before.  Like they knew the show's days were numbered.  Or perhaps they were shocked to learn how dirty the sci-fi channel was.  She has a certain motherly feel to her... Wouldn't we all want her to be our mom?  To be gently smothered in our sleep...

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 05:36:21 PM by nacho »

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
Re: Pearl Forrester
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 11:19:44 PM »
i never thought she was that bad.  Some of the Bobo stuff gets on my nerves though, but the "let's keep the subplots continuous" thing wasn't a bad move.  She's better than the first sidekick.  what was his name?  that fugly little nerd.  I think the final seasons suffered more from bad (ha) movie selection than writing. 

let's talk classics!

I've downloaded a ton but usually they get sent to the recycling bin after I'm through with them.  the ones I've kept though, are:

Manos (duh)
the movie (this island earth)
i was a teenage werewolf
mitchell
i accuse my parents ("they laughed when i accused my parents/so i killed them/we'll see who's laughing nooooooooow!")

they just don't get old.  Boggy Creek II is up on the queue next.  ("Hey, legend! How's the continuing going?")
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 09:14:36 AM »
The Sci-Fi years gave us some fine flicks.  Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, of course!  We scored the classic: Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed up Zombies.  And then there's Space Mutiny, which is 20% Battlestar Galactica footage and is where the whole Biff Hardbody, Chunk Hardcheese, etc. gag started.

Boggy Creek II there is in the last year.  So was Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders, The Girl in Gold Boots, Track of the Moon Beast... All great episodes.

In the end, though, the ending of MST3K ranks up there with my top ten TV endings.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 07:43:49 PM »
So now that the collection is well fleshed out, it's time for me to really sit through them.  Today was Parts:  The Clonus Horror. 
http://imdb.com/title/tt0078062/

I am shocked that movie is ranked as high as 3.6.

The IMDb reviewer is, obviously, mentally ill.

I think this film would be worth hunting down just for the good ideas it presents, but some might like the whole film. A definite curiosity.

The film was purest agony... Which is the best thing that can happen with the MST boys, no? 

Now I'm redoing Boggy Creek II, since Cass mentioned it in an earlier post.