Author Topic: The Rise & Fall of the Spider-Man Franchise  (Read 44742 times)

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
Re: The Rise & Fall of the Spider-Man Franchise
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2007, 04:39:52 PM »
presented in Feel-a-round
8=o tation

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2007, 04:59:13 PM »
Nipples on the Spider-Man suit!

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2007, 05:37:18 PM »
thpidermaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2007, 12:42:56 PM »
Early reports on three... I'm hearing more good than bad.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2007, 01:44:35 PM »
I'm tellin you guys... I loved the first 2.  I thought they were great.  Then again, I think everything's great and I never read comic books growing up and I could care less about the movies staying true to themes and whatnot.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing to be pissed if it's not staying true because there are certainly movies that I've hated for that reason.  I guess in this case, my relative lack of experience with the Spiderman books and storyline is helping me like these movies more.... that and I can see past the CGI wankfest.
8=o tation

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2007, 04:23:31 PM »
I'm mostly in Nubbins' boat, but I do care about thematic consistency in the universe the movies create. Which is why X3 sucked.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2007, 04:41:19 PM »
Can't remember if I saw X3 or not... I thought the first two X-Men movies were incredible though.
8=o tation

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2007, 04:50:06 PM »
I'm mostly in Nubbins' boat, but I do care about thematic consistency in the universe the movies create. Which is why X3 sucked.

?? I thought you liked it.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2007, 04:54:22 PM »
Because of the 48HFP, it'll be Monday night before I get this into me, but it'll happen.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2007, 07:20:59 PM »
Okay, so reviews already!!!!

I'm waiting for the Matt deconstruction . . .

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »
Mrs. RC and I took in a viewing last night and it's by no means a bad movie. When it's good which is about 75% of the time, it's pretty good. When it blows though, it blows pretty bad. Keep in mind that I love Raimi's almost campy sense of humor, so things like "dark" Peter Parker dancing down the street didn't bother me.

The effects are great, most notably the Sandman's birth which is perhaps the most emotional scene CGI has been able to render thus far.

The story is okay, though hard to swallow from a reality point unless you've read a lot of comic books. Parts of it play like a bad episode of Days of our Lives . . . from 1983. Amnesia, career fallout, doctored pictures, villain team-ups, and the "real killer" showing up. It's pretty juvenile, which of course would be fine if at other times it wasn't trying to be so serious.

I think there was a lot of studio pressure on this one. You feel the places where Raimi really wants to cut loose and then you see how maybe someone came in and said, "We should tone this down so nobody with a promotional tie-in gets pissed."

So, the good:

--Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen Stacy and the whole MJ/Gwen jealousy thing which was a staple of the Spidey comics I read when I was seven.

--Sandman, though he gets big, huge, and monstrous and was nothing like that in the comics, which doesn't bother me really, but it's a weird characterization for a villain you're trying to make sympathetic. You'll understand when you see it.

--Venom, who is handled ten times better than he ever was in the comics. Raimi's horror roots try to shine through here, though again, somebody at the head of Sony probably had to clamp down on it.

--"Dark" Peter Parker . . . This is where a lot of folks are going to disagree with me, but nerdy Peter Parker getting turned dark by the black alien goo and trying to be a darkly cool guy (but still kind of nerdy) is the best part of the movie. He struts down the street a'la John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, and does a goofy dance number with Gwen Stacy to make MJ jealous.

--There's a kick ass, low key fight between Harry and Peter that takes place in Harry's penthouse. No grand sweeping wide shots, and no CGI. Just a lot of combat and wire work that's the best fight of the film.

The Bad:

--The writing. It's too much for one movie. Things happen too fast and too slow and the pacing is just devilishly off. It's a big disappointment since the last movie was paced almost perfectly.

--The ending. Though are a few satisfying moments, it's also pretty weak with too many villians and plot threads to tie up in about twenty minutes time.

--Raimi's GOP sensibility. He gave money to Bush's '04 campaign I just found out, which makes Spidey's gratuitous stop in front of an American flag in the middle of a fight really unbearable to deal with to. There are a few other moments like this, but that's by far the worse one.

Overall there's a feeling of sloppiness form a story point of view, as if too many people we're putting in their two cents. That said, it's still a pretty fun movie.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 12:29:51 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2007, 11:46:47 AM »
So, really, a bad movie.  Because you're a forgiving person, RC. 

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
So, really, a bad movie.  Because you're a forgiving person, RC. 

Yeah, likely.

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2007, 01:41:43 PM »
I've been busy and finances are tight, so I'm taking awhile to get around to it.

And while I wanted to like X3, Reggie, after seeing someone deconstruct the movie to its core elements, it disgusted me. And even while watching it, it still didn't feel good, it didn't leave me satisfied.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2007, 05:42:02 PM »
I like how they're already talking about a huge team of bad guys.  God.

With "Spider-Man 3" breaking box office records around the world, it's not surprising that director Sam Raimi hasn't ruled out directing "Spider-Man 4."

"If I can't find the right story that would work for me and that I could tell really well, I would like someone else to tell that story. But if it's a great story and Sony will bring me back to the screen, I would love to," Raimi told MTV.com.

The third movie has done so well financially, if not critically, that Sony Pictures chief executive Michael Lynton told the BBC that "Everybody has every intention of making a fourth, a fifth and a sixth [sequel] and on and on."

So, who will Spidey battle in the next movie?

Even before the third installment of the web-slinger's story appeared on the big screen, rumors about who Spider-Man may have to contend with in the fourth movie included the villains Carnage, the Lizard and the Black Cat.

Raimi has other ideas. "I would love to see Electro, Vulture, maybe the Sinister Six as a team." he mused. "But ['Spider-Man 4'] will probably have to start with the central journey of the main character to arrive at the proper villain."

Also at issue is whether Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst would return to play Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. Raimi said that it "would be really hard" to direct "Spider-Man 4" without the two actors in those roles.

Maguire had initially stated he would not return for a fourth installment, but when it became apparent that "Spider-Man 3" was a huge hit, he said that he was willing to consider continuing his role as the web head.

"I would assume that they’re going to make more Spider-Man movies," Maguire said last month in an interview on NBC's Today Show. "I've had such a good time making them. For me, it all depends on if there's a great story for me, Peter Parker. If Sam Raimi is there, I'd be definitely excited to consider that possibility."