Author Topic: The Rise & Fall of the Spider-Man Franchise  (Read 43050 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: The Rise & Fall of the Spider-Man Franchise
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2006, 09:13:16 AM »
Yeah, god forbid they have a movie where the hero must ferret out, battle and defeat one enemy.  Much better to have ADD enemies that he can battle every five minutes.  And all they have to sacrifice is plot and script!  That's the easy part!

I mean, who wants to make a long running and wildly successful series when they can blow their wad in one fell swoop and make twice as much money at the cost of the franchise?

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2006, 11:34:21 AM »
I don't think you get my meaning, Nacho. A whole movie with just the Sandman would be all right and I think doable.

Venom is just a fanboy fodder villain and really not that interesting once you get over the initial concept.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2006, 03:52:36 PM »
All right, Matt. Get a shot of Venom while it lasts. Sony should be pulling this in about an hour.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30671?holy_smokes___a_pretrailer_in_progress_of_spiderman_3_with_venom_footage

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2006, 05:09:34 PM »
I really don't think that they could have all of that in one movie. It just seems like way too much, and Raimi seems to have better instincts than to try and shotgun us with all three villains in one movie. I can totally see that Venom shot as the finale or close to it for Spider-man 3.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 05:16:40 PM by Matt »

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2006, 05:11:21 PM »
You may be right. That would be the smart way to do it.

Still, I think Venom will be the third act villain.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2006, 05:21:47 PM »
Here's what I'm thinking. We're going to see Peter Parker ruin the other guy (I forget his name) and his photo career. Just fucking destroy it. So that when he encounters the Venom suit, he'll be ready to whip ass. Parker will also destroy his relationship with Mary Jane as well - anything good that Spider-man has will be over, by the end of this movie. He will meet Gwen Stacy in 3.

In four, Parker starts a relationship with Stacy, then she's killed by Venom or Harry as the Green Goblin part two, who will return if he's only in a neck brace by the end of the third movie. The culmination of the fourth movie will be Green Goblin and Venom, fighting Spider-man *together*, because that would be the next, most effective way to top out in terms of action after this movie. Spider-man will be fighting for revenge and whatever else.

Then Tobey Maguire will quit and you'll have the clone saga.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2006, 07:15:05 PM »
All right, Matt. Get a shot of Venom while it lasts. Sony should be pulling this in about an hour.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30671?holy_smokes___a_pretrailer_in_progress_of_spiderman_3_with_venom_footage

And it's gone . . .

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2006, 01:02:43 AM »
wait...you guys think there will be a 4?  i thought this one was gonna be the last one.  granted, it's a hugely successful franchise, but we all know Movie 4 is where the dark place is, no matter how successful your franchise is. 

Phantom Menace
Alien: Ressurection
Rocky 4 (vs. Hulk Hogan)
Star Trek 4: the voyage home
Superman 4: the quest for peace (?)
Batman & Robin

need i say more? 

I maintain that this movie is going to blow, bigtime.  three villains is just too many, Tobey hasn't done anything but spider-man for 5 years, the peter parker/mary jane dialogue will all be forced, casserole bullshit, topher grace has no business being eddie brock, and james franco still doesn't deserve to be acting for a living. 

seriously...the amount of leeway this franchise is getting is staggering.  just because it's spider-man/raimi, it's like they're getting away with murder.  can you imagine if Peter Jackson had tried to water down LOTR the way they've done with spider-man then tried to hide behind his actor's names instead of the story?

so...gollum is now a wise-cracking black man played by chris tucker?

yep.

don't you think--

HIS COSTUME IS AMAZING.  DON'T HATE!

well, yeah, it looks all right.  but what about this  big fight you have at helm's deep?  Aragorn is not known for his skill with nunchuks...

THE FOOTAGE IS AMAZING AND WE'RE GETTING A GOOD RESPONSE FROM IT FROM THE TESTING AUDIENCE!!!!!!!

ok, whatever. 

You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2006, 01:37:18 AM »
Singer changed aspects of X-Men. If he had continued where he wanted to go, I wouldn't have minded the changes.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2007, 12:47:30 AM »
The "final" trailer.

Raimi and company have my nine bucks, but I'm not quite sure they've earned it. We'll see.

http://www.spiderman3oncomcast.com/

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2007, 08:50:48 PM »
okay, so apparantly, there's three villains in this one.

sigh.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2007, 09:29:10 PM »
Why anyone thought he first two were anything other than disgusting perversions of the spirit of the Spiderman comics is beyond me.

What the fuck is up with everyone? OMGLOVESTORYANDMARYJANE(A.K.A.SNAGGLETOOTH)ISSOHAWT!

I'm with Cass on this one.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2007, 08:48:05 AM »
Can someone please explain to me the whole multiple-cast thing?  Three villains and all that.  Like Batman ended up doing. Because you'd think you'd want a franchise that can go on forever instead of introducing (and killing) every major villain/good guy from a decades-long series in one frantically written, incomprehensible two hour movie.  Why blow up a multi-gigillion dollar franchise?

Tyson -- the first one stuck with the geeks because it was Sam Raimi, and with everyone else because it was Spider Man with modern effects and a little bit of kinda love it, which seeped through thanks to Raimi.  The second one sucked.  And, now, we just see the end of Raimi.  Which is hideous and disappointing.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2007, 09:10:13 AM »
Can someone please explain to me the whole multiple-cast thing?  Three villains and all that.  Like Batman ended up doing. Because you'd think you'd want a franchise that can go on forever instead of introducing (and killing) every major villain/good guy from a decades-long series in one frantically written, incomprehensible two hour movie.  Why blow up a multi-gigillion dollar franchise?

It baffles me. I think it has to do with the studio head honchos thinking, "The next one has to be bigger/better/faster!!!! MORE MONEY!"

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2007, 09:25:38 AM »
But...don't they want to make millions upon millions every year with a James Bond-style cash cow?  They could make 10 Spiderman movies, instead they want to cobble everything together and, in the end, make the same amount they would have made on a regular movie with one bad guy.