Author Topic: X-Men: The Movies  (Read 38930 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Re: X-Men: The Movies
« Reply #240 on: March 08, 2017, 11:39:56 AM »
You know, I've blocked out so much of Apocalypse.

You know what sucks is the Apocalypse storyline from the comics when I was like 12 was one of my favorite X-Men stories. His whole gathering of his horsemen was way cooler. Angel was full-fledged X-Men who had his wings mangled fighting marauding mutant killer. He has to have them amputated or die which spirals him into a depression. Then he seemingly kills himself in a plane crash, when in reality Apocalypse gave him a "devil's deal" to get his wings back. Heavy shit, man.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #241 on: March 08, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »
It really felt like a "we have to make an X-Men movie to keep the rights" thing (is that still a thing?). But that's weird because we're all in now. Why not do a JLaw-based movie? She's like Hugh Jackman. We'll just stare at her no matter how bad the movie is. Or just throw Jackman more tennis balls so he'll agree to do another Wolverine period piece.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #242 on: March 08, 2017, 04:51:27 PM »
If you told me hell was an eternity of watching either Apocalypse or The Last Stand and I get to choose, I'd pick The Last Stand. At least it's interestingly awful.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:10:11 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #243 on: March 10, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
EDIT: So... maybe spoilers though not really anything anybody with half a brain should be shocked about.

I'm very obviously not going to write a front page piece on Logan at this point. The road to hell and all that...

I've thought about the movie every day since I've seen it though. Not to connect my personal shit to a movie thread, but the past few months have been a weird "low cycle" for me. I've been aimless, drifting, sad... Usually these depressive funks roll themselves out, but this one has been especially tenacious. Part of it is being back to quasi-unemployment / freelancing after the high happy days of sweet Army work. Part of it is the emotional fallout from my mom's death this past summer and the reality (or finality) of it sinking on a deeper level. Part of it is having made another crappy movie that isnít even finished yet and needs lots of time, money, and love to finish. Part of it was no winter. Part of it is post-grad school blues. Part of it was just the Metro Death Cold that hung on for close to a month.

The thought that crossed my mind on the past 24 hours was that Logan, while a wonderful, engaging piece of cinema that succeeds as a movie on every level is also bleak as hell. And I'm not sure I want my escapism to cut that deep. I don't want to get too spoilerific, but I think it should be pretty obvious from the trailers, reviews, and zeitgeist that things don't exactly end well. I mean, itís not a Requiem for a Dream ending. Itís not *that* bleak. There's a glimmer of hope. However, there is a sense of finality that most comic book stories don't have the balls to attempt.

The X-Men have been a part of my life since I was 10-years-old. I had a very large comic book collection of almost exclusively X-books that I acquired through my teens, and finally sold off in college on a whim. The movies, hopelessly uneven, have also been something of an oasis for me. Itís an important part of my upbringing and my "fantasy" life. The X-Men are to me as Doctor Who is to Nacho.

Iím not saying the dismal end of Logan has shattered me beyond belief. Far from it, though it's a very sad movie. But hey, they apparently killed Wolverine off in the comic books a few years back. Iím sure theyíll bring him back in few more. There was a time when killing off a character had weight. Ironically, it was the X-Men who gave it that when they killed off Jean Grey in 1982(?) intending to keep her dead. 

(Side note:  When the editorial decision was made to ďresurrectĒ her five years later. it caused a firestorm in the Marvel editorial offices that almost led to Chris Claremont (then the hotshot superstar X-Men writer) to quit, and professional rifts were created that never healed. Now they kill and resurrect superhero every few months. There's something in all this killing and resurrecting that betrays a problem with death in our culture, but I'm kind of sick of talking about death.)

What Iím saying is that when life is sort of dismal, itís really kind of shitty when the escapism is dismal too. I get it, Logan has to die. Fandom is so tenacious and the internet so petty that anything but complete finality leads to conversations about how much money itíll take to get Jackman to do it again. (Now the conversation is focused on who will play Wolverine next, which is as equally vapid.)

Logan is a very ďrealĒ movie in terms of both aesthetic and emotion and all that is fine, even worthy. But I'm just not sure it needed be so dark and dreary and final. In the old westerns, the hero just rode off into the sunset and we had to wonder what became him. Death was assumed, but hope for a better life was there as well. Not here. And in terms of superhero comic books, which for all the talk of "maturity" and "grittiness" are really a kid's medium, that level of pathos seems... I don't know, excessive? I understand this was not a movie intended for children, but this is where I get a little kirked out over why people even want R-rated comic book movies. Deadpool was sort of lark, but it was also a comedy. (And insanely juvenile. It's R-rated violence was very much of the dick, fart, and "look at the chewed up food in my mouth" variety.) This was very adult, again in a way that I'm not sure I need my escapism to be.

I'm trying to imagine a Spider-Man movie going this emotionally dark, or even a Batman movie. (Though I'm sure fans would love that.) If our super "heroes" truly reflect the horrors of our life, and not an idealized view (a child's view) that offers us hope that at out core we're creatures of the light, well, what's the point? Maybe that's naive, but fuck, if I want death and horror, I can turn on the goddamned news.

I'm probably in the wrong here. As I said, I'm getting my own mixed up emotional life confused with the movies, but to be perfectly honest, I went to the movies to get away from all that.  Instead I found myself confronting it all. Maybe that's the point of art of storytelling, forcing the audience to confront uncomfortable truths. The older I get though, the more life gives me more than enough of those truths, so it's nice to just break away and dream.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:33:18 AM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #244 on: March 10, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
See, Doctor Who prepares you for this because the title character experiences a traumatic death every few years. My favorite Doctor was murdered by his arch-enemy -- pushed off of a radar dish to plummet to the ground and die writhing in agony. The First Doctor died fighting the Cybermen, the Second was recycled by his own people, the Third died of slow radiation sickness, the Fifth of poison, the Sixth essentially murdered by the TARDIS, the Seventh machine-gunned by gang members in slow motion.

I still think you should front page this discussion! Because it's an interesting moment in the screaming barrage of superhero movies. Why was Logan different? Why did it need to be different? And what is the impact going forward for the genre?

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #245 on: March 10, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
Maybe.

And make no mistake, I think it's a great movie. I just think these things can be great without the pathos being so deep.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2017, 11:25:49 AM »
The period of malaise you describe, by the way, has had its grip on everyone. Everything is feeling off balanced and weird in all of my interactions these days. And, of course, there was also my month of sickness (I'm still not 100%), and various bad life changes in the last few months as well. There's a change coming...

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #247 on: March 10, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »
High end retrograde. I'm hoping "spring" pulls us all out of it, but man it's been bad.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #248 on: March 10, 2017, 11:44:01 AM »
High end retrograde. I'm hoping "spring" pulls us all out of it, but man it's been bad.

I don't buy the retrograde thing. I think Trump blew our collective minds in a way they haven't really been blown (and subsequently taxed by insanity) before. Combine this with odd and unpredictable weather patterns and it's not surprising that we're all off kilter.

The current political atmosphere, especially in DC, is also worrisome since many of us know government workers who have universally been shaken up. Just about everyone I know from ordinary government to the secret stuff has been turned upside down.

There's a bit of the "There's a STOOOOORM comin'!" going on here that feels less jokey and more that there is actually a storm coming.

I have become very aware that this is an "inside the Beltway" thing. Or, at least, has been intensified inside the Beltway. Which is why we've advanced our bug-out plan.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2017, 06:17:32 PM »
Bumping the X-Men thread since Nacho is watching Logan and I forgot what I said about it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2017, 06:36:43 PM »
Oh! I picked the wrong thread! Sorry. You can move my shit over if you want.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #251 on: May 26, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
LOL

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #252 on: May 26, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
I saw that...Ryan Reynolds knows how to market. 

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #253 on: October 13, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »
X-Men nerdrage is out of control over The New Mutants trailer, but Iím all in on this.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #254 on: October 13, 2017, 12:11:28 PM »
About time we got Pink Floyd in movie trailers.