Author Topic: First Session  (Read 36816 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
First Session
« on: May 06, 2005, 12:48:54 AM »
So, as a alot of you know, I made a movie that's premiering in DC next week.

First Session is a about a psychiatrist and her patient who learn they share teh same kind of secret. The premiere is 8:30 pm on Wednesday May 11 at The Avalon Theatre in Washington, DC.

The official site where you can find production photos, cast and crew bios, and a trailer: http://www.firstsessionmovie.com

Information about the premiere: http://www.theavalon.org/news.cfm?id=57

And below, a feature article on the film written by the Potomac News in Virginia.

Local filmmaker has secrets to share

By Emily Brown
Potomac News
Thursday, May 5, 2005

Lonnie Martin has a secret. He wanted to make a film before he turns 30 in August.

Everyone has secrets, he said, and no matter how hard someone tries to hide it, they inevitably surface.

This is the thought behind Martin’s independent film “First Session,” premiering May 11 at the Avalon Theatre in Washington, D.C. This is the Dale City resident’s first film, which runs about 27 minutes.

Martin, who majored in video production and communications at Davis and Elkins College in West Virginia, had written many scripts and screenplays, but for his short, psychology came to mind.

“I think it’s fascinating,” he said. “Everyone’s mind is different and I think we’re all a little crazy in our own mind.”

The idea sent his male lead character Mr. Smith, played by Scot McKenzie, to a psychiatrist’s office. “He’s eccentric to say the least,” Martin said. “He’s a pretty disturbed individual.” Mr. Smith frequents psychiatrists’ offices, but this time he meets Josie, a doctor with much more in common with him than he expected.

Joy Haynes, 31, of D.C., plays Josie, a psychiatrist who is having troubles of her own, she said.

“She’s the kind of person who has her life together personally and professionally,” Haynes said, “and is unprepared for how her life falls apart around her.”

Martin co-produced the film with his wife Cindy, who plays “an annoying nail-filing receptionist,” she said. She majored in theater at Concord College in West Virginia and toured nationally with The Repertory Theatre of America.

The Martins underestimated the film’s budget at $2,500, and have spent close to $7,000.

“Different things add up,” Martin said, noting a few snags in post-production.

After the film’s premiere, they will take it to film festivals across the country.

As director of photography, Aaron Shirley of D.C. said Martin’s ideas for his first film were impressive.

“It sounded very solid and had a very visual hook with the imagery,” Shirley said. “Visually I found it pretty interesting and challenging to shoot.”

Though the cast and crew worked for free, many have reputable acting careers in the area. Haynes has done voice over, theater and film work, including “Dying to Belong,” an NBC movie about sorority hazing.

McKenzie appeared in “Scent of a Woman” and on numerous stages around Washington. Helen Marie Bunch, of Reston, is Mr. Smith’s mother in the film. She’s trained as a professional dancer in the D.C. area for the last 10 years.

Cast and crewmembers’ mini-short films follow the premiere.

Martin said short films serve as a business card to show others his work and hopefully get hired for more. But regardless of the film’s success, it’s a story he wants to share.

“Everybody’s got secrets,” Martin said. “We show people one thing and there’s something underneath.”
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:26:18 PM by RottingCorpse »

Tyson

RC's Movie
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 02:24:50 AM »
Congrats on the publicity, fucker. Not get it over he on the west coast, pronto!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
RC's Movie
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 08:50:52 AM »
This shit better be good, RC.  Going out on a weekenight cuts into my thigh-cutting time.

And does it hurt -- does it really hurt -- to plug SFWP or GS or something?  "I owe everything to Andrew Gifford, project director of GS and the hungover mind behind the controversial Great Society and he has lots and lots of girlfriends."

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
RC's Movie
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 10:48:19 AM »
Quote from: nacho
This shit better be good, RC.  Going out on a weekenight cuts into my thigh-cutting time.

And does it hurt -- does it really hurt -- to plug SFWP or GS or something?  "I owe everything to Andrew Gifford, project director of GS and the hungover mind behind the controversial Great Society and he has lots and lots of girlfriends."

An SFWP mention will be printed on the program you selfish cunt.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
RC's Movie
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 10:51:48 AM »
Quote from: RottingCorpse

Does it say "Everything I am, everything I will be, is thanks to Andrew Gifford" and include little drawings of faeries and starbursts around my name?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
RC's Movie
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 11:43:19 AM »

Does it say "Everything I am, everything I will be, is thanks to Andrew Gifford" and include little drawings of faeries and starbursts around my name?

It says,"Thanks to the Santa Fe Writer's Project for lying to me about how good my writing is. And Thanks to Andrew Gifford who gave me a rash vicariously through that 19 year old meth head we both nailed in Catoosa, Oklahoma."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
RC's Movie
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 11:47:24 AM »

It says,"Thanks to the Santa Fe Writer's Project for lying to me about how good my writing is. And Thanks to Andrew Gifford who gave me a rash vicariously through that 19 year old meth head we both nailed in Catoosa, Oklahoma."

Except I wouldn't have shared the meth head.  You would have sat in the other room and listened to her all night with that Clockwork Orange writer thing going on.

Offline jreale

• Minty fresh
RC's Movie
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 12:58:28 PM »
Do you have your festival itinerary posted somewhere? And more importantly, will Franzia be served at any of the venues?

And congratulations. Nice work, douchebag.
Insert witty phrase, inspirational quote, or self-promotional blurb here.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
RC's Movie
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 01:40:49 PM »
Oh, yes, let's all go to Colorado and visit Jody and have some insanely decadent after-movie party!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
RC's Movie
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 02:03:47 PM »
Quote from: jreale

Thanks.

(When did Jody turn into such a guy?)

No festival schedule yet, but we've a list of over thirty we're submitting to. Any suggestions are always welcome.

As far as Franzia being served, I'll have to ask him. (Thank you. I'll be here all week.)

Offline jreale

• Minty fresh
RC's Movie
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 03:59:34 PM »
Oh, yes, let's all go to Colorado and visit Jody and have some insanely decadent after-movie party!

Sure, just as long as it's over by 10:00 pm. I hate having to spend more than 20 on a sitter.

Offline starrwriter

• Minty fresh
    • http://www.google.com
RC's Movie
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 04:07:07 PM »

Thanks.

(When did Jody turn into such a guy?)

Are you kidding? Jody is hung better than most guys at this forum (except me).

Offline jreale

• Minty fresh
RC's Movie
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 10:17:02 PM »
Quote from: starrwriter

Are you kidding? Jody is hung better than most guys at this forum (except me).

Just like the last time you mentioned your man-skin, we'll just take your word for it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
RC's Movie
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 10:24:24 PM »
since 1969

Oh, man, that's even worse than me!  Doom!  Despair!

Offline jreale

• Minty fresh
RC's Movie
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 10:45:10 PM »
since 1969

Oh, man, that's even worse than me!  Doom!  Despair!

Dude, put the calculator down for a minute and breathe. There is no spoon, OK?