Author Topic: Cobra Kai  (Read 849 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Cobra Kai
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 06:03:36 PM »
So, which one of us is joining YouTube Red for one day on May 2?

It will be acquired via other means.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 12:06:52 AM »
I binged the whole first season last night and have barely stopped thinking about it since.

The Karate Kid was one of those essential movies I saw as a kid. "Kid" is the operative word because the movie didn't necessarily stay with me past the age of, say, thirteen. (I use the term "movie" intentionally. I don't dare call it a film.) To me, it was one of those movies that shaped my view of what being a teenager would be once I got though school. As you might suspect, my high school experience wasn't exactly like Daniel Larusso's (Or Johnny Lawrence's). But my nine(?)-year-old brain said, "Sure. I'll believe it's like that." The original movie was a weird parable about finding your "thing;" that activity/hobby/passion that defines you as a person as you become an adult. For me it was movies and writing, for others it was sports or science. For some folks, it was karate.

This new series is about the men we became after that discovery. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I was shocked by how closely the inner drama of Daniel-San and Johnny mirrored my own middle-aged insecurities. And it does this despite haphazard writing, mediocre acting, and lower production value than you might expect. There's a cheese flavor to the proceedings that's easy to swallow because if you think about it, the whole premise of The Karate Kid was kind of cheesy... unless you were nine when you saw it.

The premise of Cobra Kai is so great because these are two guys who never left home and have gotten trapped in the personas they inhabited as teenagers. What's great is they become surrounded by a group of kids with similar pathos. The symbolism, even in it's heavy handedness, has this weird yet honest emotional weight.

Immediately after watching it,  I thought the end over-played it's hand and lost some nuance, particularly when it comes to the kids' arcs. However, upon second consideration, if you think of it as the adults' story, where all the kids' journeys end up kind of makes sense. It's a show about the teachers who defined us for better or worse, and how they shaped the mentors we are, whether we accept that role or not. And that these kids end up choosing "a side" falls squarely on the shoulders of the men teaching them.

I know, right? I was shocked at how deep it resonated. And maybe it's just because when I was nine, The Karate Kid was the deepest piece of "art" I had. All that said, Cobra Kai is lovingly done, and overcomes all it's myriad flaws to become a cohesive whole.

RC says check it out.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:00:09 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »
Yeah, going to try and get in a few episodes today.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
So I made it through four episodes. It's cute, and fun, and nostalgic. But... I don't know. I kept wondering: Why bother? There's also a certain grim undercurrent, which RC talked about. That's also okay and fun...but... I don't know. The word over-analyzed comes to mind?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 11:19:21 AM »
You mean when like somebody makes a serious, dark version of something like the Power Rangers?

That's interesting. To me, Cobra Kai always stayed light on it's get enough to keep it from getting to dark and try to become something grander than it should. But I don't begrudge anybody who sees past what works to see it for the crass money-grab it is.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 12:26:46 PM »
The problem, which I'm encountering more and more frequently, is that there's Too Much Good TV. A relatively recent problem. 10-15 years ago, Cobra Kai would have been brilliant. But now I have 20-30 hours a week of good new TV (or will give it a try TV or time to binge the last season because we've waited 18 months for the new season TV) to keep up with.

I find that the entire season dumps make it even more difficult. So what was, in the Beforetime, a weekly commitment of just 25-45 minutes is now "YOU HAVE 4 SECONDS UNTIL THE NEXT EPISODE!!! STAY!!!! STAY THERE!!!! STAY!!! STAY THERE FOR 10 HOURS!!!!"

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »
This is why I don't watch anything.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 12:05:47 PM »
Okay. I'm going to finish this today.

Miyagi's gravestone is the real star!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 02:22:26 PM »
So. yeah, this was totally unnecessary. But I appreciate the redemption aspect of the story. And the "danger of nostalgia" theme...always close to home for me these days.