Author Topic: Lost in Space  (Read 3156 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Lost in Space
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »
I texted with Nacho briefly about this yesterday, but Netflix is rebooting Lost in Space. The big news? Parker Posey as Dr. Smith! If you're going to gender bend this one, I can't think of a better way to do it.

(Digression: I loved the 90s movie version.)

Trailer and details below.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-your-first-very-serious-look-at-netflixs-lost-in-1823188706

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Lost in Space
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:30:53 AM »
I can totally get behind this! I love the Jupiter 2 redo. I love the theme song in there, as well. It's such an underappreciated theme song. That weird 50s sci-fi feel mixed in with, like, beach rock or something. So a nice upgrade to that that goes ultra-mod spooky-space works for me.

And the new robot voice. Also sounds good.

People forget that the first season of Lost in Space was dark and moody. Dr. Smith was a murderer, and then their prisoner. He couldn't be trusted and continued to try to kill them for half the season before they gave up on that and went camp. The 90s movie tried to recapture this but....

(Digression: I loved the 90s movie version.)

idisagree!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »
I was already sold, but now I'm *really* sold.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 04:33:38 PM »
I...have reservations. It might take me a bit to adjust to the idea that the Robot is an alien space god, that the Robinson's are not pioneers, and that Dr. Smith (appears to be) a survivor from another colony/expedition.

That sort of removes all the conflict and recasts the show as, you know, the BSG reboot.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »
Opening credits are pretty boring and a little too Enterprise for my taste. I could have used a little more Jupiter 2 and the pumped up theme. What we get of both those elements is very good...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
Also, it's being ruthlessly panned from Variety to the geekosphere (all the episodes are with the reviewers). Variety says it's a boring three episodes before all the action "plays out in a forest outside Vancouver." LOL.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 12:22:45 PM »
So it's 'The Walking Dead.'

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »
So it's 'The Walking Dead.'

Yeah. Apparently Parker Posey steals the show, but is pretty much the only good thing and, despite her best efforts, is woefully underused.

Everyone's complaining about the family drama aspect, which, apparently, forces the sci-fi into the backseat.

Blah.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 11:12:07 AM »
Episode one liveblog!

The Jupiter 2 dies 4 minutes into the episode after we open mid-disaster-storyline. So this means we rush right into giving us the backstory via flashbacks and doing planetside things like assuming the air is safe and taking off their helmets just because one of them had a tear in their spacesuit. So, obviously, it's totally safe!

Also, maybe I'm old, but I'm always confused when a totally lily white family has a mixed race child. Sure, I suppose she's adopted, and it's 2018 and all, but in a TV show it feels more like they said "We need at least one minority! Let's randomly make Judy Robinson a minority even though every other Robinson is a snow white upper class suburbanite!"

And now...I just got orders to leave the house and enjoy the nice weather. Jeez. So. Pause.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 07:41:55 PM »
The Throne Maiden made me go to the Eastern Shore and love the sun and the sea and pay attention to her instead of watching the abomination that is the remake of a sci-fi show that was originally an abomination! HOW DARE SHE!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »
Returning to the slow-moving tale of a wealthy suburban family's mild bickering.

Episode One liveblog continues!

No one will be admitted to the theater during the scene where Penny reads her Kindle books to Judy.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 10:41:41 AM »
Father John Robinson doesn't know what specialties number one son Will Robinson tested into when they were all testing to be part of the Jupiter 2 mission.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 10:44:41 AM »
Will asks how long they've been away from camp even though he has the 100 years from now descendant of a smart phone on his wrist.

Kind of regretting watching this already.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »
Judy (a teenager) is a medical expert who can coach Penny through complicated surgery over the radio. Unfortunately, the writers seem to be making up the reason for the surgery and the surgery itself. Maureen keeps passing out because her broken leg is building up pressure or something...so Penny has to do field surgery (complete with holding the scalpel dramatically in her teeth).

Meanwhile, Will falls down an ice chute and wakes up in a fairy forest outside of Vancouver. So it's bitter cold arctic on one side of a Game of Throne style ice wall (even though no one shows any signs of being cold), and lush northwest rainforest growing right up against the other side of the wall.

I guess, since they killed the Jupiter 2 as soon as the show started, they have to have a super diverse Star Trek III planet with a dozen different biomes in walking distance.

We're also at the half hour mark and I can't tell if they're on the planet they're supposed to be on. They spent the early part of the episode trying to contact the other Jupiter missions, and they seem to recognize the planet, and they seem fairly confident that they know where they are. But then Maureen theorizes that they're on the wrong planet...and then undermines herself saying it's impossible. But then they fired the entire writing team and brought in a group of dogs and cats to write the remainder of the episode.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 10:57:10 AM »
Kudos to the obviously insane budget which successfully turns "forests outside of Vancouver" into Skyrim. In fact, I almost had to pause the show and go play Skyrim!