Author Topic: Serial: The Most Popular Podcast of All Time  (Read 21801 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Serial: The Most Popular Podcast of All Time
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »
I'm also shocked at how poorly his defense was managed, and how sloppy the prosecution is. How can he be convicted basically solely on Jay's say so?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »
So I expected part six to cast shadows on Adnan... But it didn't. I 'm like Koenig...doubting, then doubting my doubts.

We're about to hit up with more Jay stuff, I see...

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »
Yeah, wish I could say the flip flopping gets resolved. It gets frustrating after a while.

I just don't get how Adnan seems so "meh" about all of it. I realize it's been 15 years and hope has pretty much faded for him that life will turn out any differently, but I can't help putting myself in his situation. I would be outraged and shouting about my innocense to anyone who would listen... right?

And Jay... man, I have so many questions.

1) He's the only person who admits any guilt in Hae's murder. He admits helping dispose of the body. He shows police where her missing car is, so we have to believe that at least part of his story is true, even if his details keep shifting.

2) Why would he implicate Adnan if Adnan really had nothing to do with it? What is the motive there? Why would he lie about something like that?

3) Why was Adnan's attorney SO BAD?! She misses huge details like Asia's alibi and the fact that there was no phone at the Best Buy.
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 11:06:06 AM »
Yeah, the defense is almost phoning the whole thing in... Which is bizarre. Just about every aspect of the case is bizarre. Nothing adds up!

Now, I'm not convinced at all that Adnan is innocent. I think he had some part in it, but I think it was more accomplice (or accessory after the fact) than anything else. A part of me has started wondering if he's taking the fall for some reason? But I can't think of any possible rational reason why...

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
Now, I'm not convinced at all that Adnan is innocent. I think he had some part in it, but I think it was more accomplice (or accessory after the fact) than anything else. A part of me has started wondering if he's taking the fall for some reason? But I can't think of any possible rational reason why...

I go back and forth. The thing I'm never able to reconcile is the fact that he just doesn't seem that passionate about his innocence even though there are multiple hard-ish facts that seem to completely exonerate him... Jay had his car and his cell phone that day, Asia provides him with a pretty solid alibi, the prosecution's timeline of events is flimsy, at best, and seems like it should have been pretty easy for Adnan's defense to blow it apart.

It's kind of a let down (hopefully not spoiling anything) but I feel like this whole podcast is going to end Thursday in this murky, foggy, grey area and nothing will be resolved. I really want to see / hear Jay held to task on all this shit. He's the one who knows the truth... that's about the only thing I'm convinced of.
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 12:24:56 PM »
The dispassionate thing... I have started to notice that every time Koenig hits him with something outside of His Established Story(tm), whether good or bad, Adnan always seems caught off guard. Like he's been practicing His Established Story and is out of his depth when he's forced off track. 

Overall, he seems very practiced (coached), and you especially notice it when Koenig broadsides.

The court records have spoiled the finale, by the way. (Insofar as the real finale will be in January's news cycle.)

Here's one of many "experts" talking about what could happen... Don't click if you want to wait for Thursday: http://www.vox.com/2014/12/10/7363799/serial-adnan-syed-appeal

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
Wow... The Innocence Project gal in part seven is awesome.  And bang, bang, bang on the nose with every point she makes.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 12:43:11 PM »
Here's one of many "experts" talking about what could happen... Don't click if you want to wait for Thursday: http://www.vox.com/2014/12/10/7363799/serial-adnan-syed-appeal

Good read. I seriously doubt he wins the appeal though. Especially considering Asia's testimony has been inconsistent. It seems like the entire success of the appeal depends on that. I do think it's interesting that he doesn't think the state would re-prosecute if Adnan wins the appeal.

So it sounds like DNA evidence may be his only hope.
8=o tation

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
Wow... The Innocence Project gal in part seven is awesome.  And bang, bang, bang on the nose with every point she makes.

Yeah, that was one of my favorite episodes. I liked listening to her team of students as well.
8=o tation

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »
Tony Kornheiser just raved about Serial on his radio show and will be talking extensively about it tomorrow.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »
It's fucking amazing. And stopping me from working. I feel compelled to catch up before Thursday...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 01:06:56 PM »
Episode eight! Excited for this one. Love the episode 7 cliffhanger:

"I'm going to keep scraping at the thing that confuses me most... Jay."

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »
Yes! Jay is easily one of the most interesting characters in the entire series. Just can't wrap my head around him in any way.
8=o tation

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 01:14:19 PM »
It's fucking amazing. And stopping me from working.

I have the same problem with talk radio and Podcasts in that I sort of shut down working while listening.

Gonna start it on my bike ride tonight. They're hour-longs, correct?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »
Did Gutierrez fucking throw the trial? This is amazing.

They're hour-longs, correct?

Nubbins is right to put this in the TV thread -- each episode is 42-45 minutes. A sort of ancillary thing to study while listening to this is the structure of it. This is an audio TV show -- each episode has acts and cliffhangers. Fascinating, actually. It's going to (has) change(d) everything.