Author Topic: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread  (Read 37517 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread
« Reply #360 on: December 26, 2017, 11:57:44 AM »
I liked the Capaldi speech at the end. I felt like he was speaking the audience instead the "new" Doctor. Both in terms of where the world is now and in a "Why don'y you give this Lady Doctor a chance, eh?"

Similar to the whole "we'll defeat them by loving each other" message in TLJ, eh? It's a shame that the only means left to condemn Trumpism is by derailing our escapist high fantasy narratives.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #361 on: December 26, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »
No to to derail your Who thread, but haven't we talked about the Fall of the Roman Empire in these terms? If a civilization accepts any behavior from it's rulers in order to keep that ruler in power, then the government will eat itself.

I don't think I've been drunk enough around you to give you my big "paradigm shift" rant, but remind me. The essence of it is that we're doomed because maybe it's better for the universe that we're doomed.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #362 on: December 26, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »
No to to derail your Who thread, but haven't we talked about the Fall of the Roman Empire in these terms? If a civilization accepts any behavior from it's rulers in order to keep that ruler in power, then the government will eat itself.

I don't think I've been drunk enough around you to give you my big "paradigm shift" rant, but remind me. The essence of it is that we're doomed because maybe it's better for the universe that we're doomed.

I tell you this once every year. We aren't yet in Roman Empire country. Our Christmas day party conversation was how Trump is basically Sulla, hook, line, sinker. Mirror image. That's 100 years before the fall of the Republic. The ominous comment is: Who will be our Caesar?

The Roman Empire lasted from around 80 AD to 1452. More than 1300 years. It collapsed because of the things Trump (Also Sulla) feared: Out of control immigration, economic diffusion, and the old "You can't actually control 80% of the known world in the way you think you can, buddy" problem.

The Republic -- which America is based on, by the way -- took 150 years to collapse. The collapse of the Roman Republic mirrors the collapse of the American Republic in a way that's almost eerie.

Stop me when you start to see the parallel:

Roman Republic's collapse:

1) Two polarized parties, roughly divided on an urban vs. rural divide, scoring near 50/50 margins in the Senate, thus crippling the Senate's ability to pass laws.

2) Out of control cultural/socio-economic debates at the grassroots level that led to people briefly rising up to start radical splinter parties that were based either on religion or "Our lives matter too" movements.

3) Splinter groups giving enough power in the system to allow for the rise of demagogues who grandstanded and waved swords and won over the popular opinion based on looks/power/their ability to control the media.

Should I stop now? Because we're still 100 years away from Caesar and Pompey and Crassus... But I can continue and even tie modern personalities in with Roman personalities who all did the EXACT SAME THING almost word for word in their political campaigns...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #363 on: December 26, 2017, 05:59:40 PM »
The Roman Empire's fall is something that no one would have noticed. It was a subtle shift that took hundreds (and, in some cases, almost 2000) years. The Republic fell in one generation (Pompey would tell you it fell in one hour). The Empire fell across ten generations.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #364 on: December 26, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »
Having watched the regeneration scene about times, I just want to reiterate: I am 100% a Jodie Whitaker man. She's beautiful, tough, awesome, compelling, and intriguing in just 10 seconds of actual face time. There's a power around her that just feels wonderful. Oh, Brilliant (heavy northern accent) indeed!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #365 on: December 26, 2017, 06:21:35 PM »
So...reading now that Capaldi wrote most of his farewell speech.

That...changes things. A lot. This is a die hard, lifelong fan who got to fulfill his dream of playing the Doctor writing his own regeneration farewell.

Yes, then. Yes, it's fine. Because what that speech is isn't RC's "speech to the people," or the critic's "speech to Chibnall," or my "Oh, another fucking speech."

It's a speech to 10 year old Peter Capaldi. And I get it now.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #366 on: December 27, 2017, 10:57:34 AM »
RE: Roman Empire... Everything is truncated now, though? What use to take 150 years may only take thirty.

And my point was about the environment in which we find ourselves. Moral checks an balances are failing. (Roy Moore.) Truth is negotiable. (Everything Trump says.) Resistance isn't being couched in "fight the Man" terms, but rather more "let's save what we can." I don't think there will be a big kablooie at all, but rather a slow shift into something new that will barrel into a new reality with a crazy intense (but tiny) conflict at the end as the old whites dues (which at that point will be you and me) try desperately to hang on to what was. (Get me drunk and start me ranting. I almost embarrassed myself at an X-Mas party a few weeks ago.)

RE: Capaldi's speech... Even better that he wrote it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #367 on: December 27, 2017, 11:24:03 AM »
RE: Roman Empire... Everything is truncated now, though? What use to take 150 years may only take thirty.

And my point was about the environment in which we find ourselves. Moral checks an balances are failing. (Roy Moore.) Truth is negotiable. (Everything Trump says.) Resistance isn't being couched in "fight the Man" terms, but rather more "let's save what we can." I don't think there will be a big kablooie at all, but rather a slow shift into something new that will barrel into a new reality with a crazy intense (but tiny) conflict at the end as the old whites dues (which at that point will be you and me) try desperately to hang on to what was. (Get me drunk and start me ranting. I almost embarrassed myself at an X-Mas party a few weeks ago.)

RE: Capaldi's speech... Even better that he wrote it.

The timelines don't matter. We're actually making the same point, you're just incorrectly attributing it to the fall of the Empire versus the fall of the Republic. Those are two distinctive entities with two distinctive demises. So, for about 15 years now, I've just wanted you to use the right terms!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #368 on: December 27, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »
Never argue with a history major. = "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #369 on: December 27, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
So what's the general internet reaction so far to the regeneration? All I'm getting is still endless Star Wars bickering.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #370 on: December 27, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »
So what's the general internet reaction so far to the regeneration? All I'm getting is still endless Star Wars bickering.

Normal people are very happy and think the coming sea-change is a great thing and that Whitaker's already stolen the show.

Russian bots and rural nazis are going to try and assassinate Whitaker at the next sci-fi convention. 

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #371 on: December 27, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »
Oh, so same as everything else. Okay.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #372 on: July 16, 2018, 10:21:13 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Z6fvbCoWldo

So...problems! First, this is pretty lame considering that scenes are leaking like crazy of actual Team Who adventures.

Second, this is going to be a very crowded TARDIS. Okay, maybe we'll get away from the "romance" aspect, and the "lonely god" aspect, but going full Scooby Gang seems like a mistake.

But, that said, Whittaker's hot and I like her look (and smile!).

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #373 on: September 10, 2018, 11:53:01 AM »
I am not certain about the new vibe:

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #374 on: September 10, 2018, 11:54:53 AM »
I mean, shattering the glass ceiling? Come on. I worry that the whole season is going to be: "I'M A WOMAN NOW!!!!"

Witless, weird music choices... And, still, we haven't gotten a glimpse of too much in the two trailers at all except "I'm a woman" and having that woman beg for people to be her friends.

Getting a really bad feeling...